Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Pan & Tilt Webcams

Hardware/software/hints and tips/discussion/webcam links etc
geoffw
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Pan & Tilt Webcams

Post by geoffw »

Pan & Tilt Webcams

I continue the search for my first outdoor webcam to feed images and streaming to my PC for the website. At the moment my thoughts are going towards a Pan & Tilt Camera facing south (where most of our weather comes from).

My thinking being I can raise and lower the camera seasonally to reduce the impact of the sun on the camera. If I can tweak the elevation of the camera from the ground I can then place it higher up the building and improve the view.

There are a few inexpensive Pan & Tilt Cameras about. Can anyone offer a recommendation, advice or comment?
image_2022-03-18_101202.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Geoff
Cortmalaw
Weather Station: Davis
Operating System: Raspbian

Re: Pan & Tilt Webcams

Post by Cortmalaw »

If you change the Tilt, you'll change the view, which likely is not desirable?

My experience was that the potential for sun damage did not materialise. I decided to just take the risk and install a simple cheap weatherproof IP camera (a Wansview model), expecting to need to replace it if it developed burnout. The sun crossed my field of view every day (except when cloudy!), but did no harm over several years.
geoffw
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Pan & Tilt Webcams

Post by geoffw »

A few vertical adjustments throughout the year to avoid the direct sun doesn't seem that drastic to me, but I'm interested to see you camerasseem to cope with the glare.
Geoff