Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Rain in NSW Autralia

Talk about the weather
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Rain in NSW Autralia

Post by HansR »

When yesterday Appin Weather Station came back on my CumulusUtils user map I immediately checked how things were going over there in the floodings in New South Wales on the east side of the Great Divide. And to be honest, that station received a shocking amount of water. No doubt everybody more or less knows what is going on there in terms of flooding but when you see the rain charts you immediately realize this is extraordinary: the 8th of march it has nearly reached the level of the yearly average: 676 mm (of which some 500 mm in the last three weeks). These above average rain weather patterns most likely are caused by La Niña.

That is something different than forest fire.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Rain in NSW Autralia

Post by RayProudfoot »

As a 12 year-old I lived north of Sydney in a town called Avalon. I don’t recall the month but it was a shortly before we moved into our new bungalow by Christmas 1962.

It rained continuously for four days and five nights. Many inches of rain would have fallen. People didn’t bother wearing shoes to get ruined. They walked barefoot. This was 60 years ago and well before any talk of global warming or climate change.

I can remember that Christmas ‘62 had one of the coldest Christmas Days with the temp in the 50s Fahrenheit. No higher than 15°C. The average is around 25°C. Twelve months later it was 98°F (37°C) on Christmas Day and in early January ‘64 it rose to 115°F (46°C) west of Sydney.

Australia has always had huge variations in climate. This is nothing new.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Post by HansR »

RayProudfoot wrote: Wed 09 Mar 2022 10:22 am As a 12 year-old I lived north of Sydney in a town called Avalon. I don’t recall the month but it was a shortly before we moved into our new bungalow by Christmas 1962.

It rained continuously for four days and five nights. Many inches of rain would have fallen. People didn’t bother wearing shoes to get ruined. They walked barefoot. This was 60 years ago and well before any talk of global warming or climate change.

I can remember that Christmas ‘62 had one of the coldest Christmas Days with the temp in the 50s Fahrenheit. No higher than 15°C. The average is around 25°C. Twelve months later it was 98°F (37°C) on Christmas Day and in early January ‘64 it rose to 115°F (46°C) west of Sydney.

Australia has always had huge variations in climate. This is nothing new.
I did not mention climate change nor did I mention it had never occurred before.
I say it is above average and probably caused by La Niña. I am aware it a land of flood and fire as somebody pointed out to me.
Don't over-relativize a post. Just note it is on the east side and pretty heavy above average high impact flooding .
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

Hans, I know you didn't mention climate change or global warming. My post was simply to recall an event that has remained in my memory for 60 years so it must have been pretty significant. Agreed it's a country of fire and flood.

Whether La Nina contributed to that weather back then who knows?
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

apple8
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by apple8 »

It certainly has been tumbling down, I’m about 16Km from Appin and had similar rainfall for this year with 771mm.
Phil23
Weather Station: Davis VP2+ & GW1000 (Standalone)
Operating System: Win10 Pro / rPi Buster

Post by Phil23 »

And here on the west of the divide it's not coming.

Previous events here locally would be '76 & 91 in my experience.
Moree also got hit last year & also in 2012.
We got above minor levels here in December too.

One of the things that sticks out in local media for me is the poor urban management.
Seeing TV reports of storm water grates sprouting metre high fountains is enraging,
Perfect example of those who are construction this infrastructure are not doing their jobs.
:Now: :Today/Yesterday:

Main Station Davis VP2+ Running Via Win10 Pro.
Secondary Stations, Ecowitt HP2551/GW1000 Via rPi 3 & 4 Running Buster GUI.
:Local Inverell Ecowitt Station: :Remote Ashford Ecowitt Station:
billy
Weather Station: WLL / Davis VP2+
Operating System: RPi bullseye

Post by billy »

... and here further west there's been no summer rain to speak of https://tillyspaws.com/vp2waw/datasumma ... all&pane=1

La Niña's reach is not quite far enough. We usually get at least a couple of good summer drenchings from other sources. I guess in the hermit kingdom - as the east calls us - it hasn't been just about quarantining from covid :roll: