Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Storm Eunice

Talk about the weather
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Storm Eunice

Post by mcrossley »

freddie wrote: Fri 18 Feb 2022 3:48 pm [
RayProudfoot wrote: Fri 18 Feb 2022 3:02 pmPressure matches that at Manchester airport so no worries there.
Manchester a/p recorded 976 hPa between 11:20 and 11:50 so perhaps yours is a tad high?
I registered a minimum of 975.8 at 11:32 - so looks like I'm still close to calibration, I don't look at it very often!

Highest gust recorded today for me has been 46 mph @ 15:17, and looks like it is calming down again now.
Wednesday I recorded a gust of 52 mph.
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Post by HansR »

Oh yes... it seems to have reached the NE corner of NL now.
But my registration of a gust of 131 km/h at 16h33 seems a bit overdone just like some peaks during Dudley.
Either the Ecowitt WS80 overdoes it a bit or I have troubles with turbulence here in this corner but I must assume this is a measurement issue.
Pressure 982 and still falling (meaning that the low is still west of here, see screenshot) so the peak is still hours away.

Nevertheless it is now becoming a real storm.
    Schermafbeelding 2022-02-18 165746.jpg
    You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
    CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
    mcrossley
    Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
    Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

HansR wrote: Fri 18 Feb 2022 3:59 pm Either the Ecowitt WS80 overdoes it a bit or I have troubles with turbulence here in this corner but I must assume this is a measurement issue.
    From posts I have seen on wxforum I'd be inclined to say it does seem to be overreading high speed gusts, but of course it's a different mechanism - and is the WS80 doing a 2 second gust or an instantaneous reading? My WS80 is still in the garden so I cannot compare it with the Davis anemometer. Next time the Davis comes down I'll put the WS80 up there too.
    LindaFNM
    Weather Station: Ecowitt
    Operating System: Raspberry Pi

Post by LindaFNM »

Bizarre here, pressure rising fast 1000.5, temperature dropped like a brick, the wind’s picked up again and we have very heavy rain interspersed with sleet. I can’t ever remember anything like this.
    HansR

Post by HansR »

mcrossley wrote: Fri 18 Feb 2022 4:04 pm
    HansR wrote: Fri 18 Feb 2022 3:59 pm Either the Ecowitt WS80 overdoes it a bit or I have troubles with turbulence here in this corner but I must assume this is a measurement issue.
    From posts I have seen on wxforum I'd be inclined to say it does seem to be overreading high speed gusts, but of course it's a different mechanism - and is the WS80 doing a 2 second gust or an instantaneous reading? My WS80 is still in the garden so I cannot compare it with the Davis anemometer. Next time the Davis comes down I'll put the WS80 up there too.
    OK, I'd be curious to hear other experiences with this because the readings are normally OK though more volatile - greater variation between reads - than a cup anemometer.
    I should have a hand wind meter to calibrate. Nevertheless, so far I have no reason to say measurements are wrong.
    Hans

HansR

Post by HansR »

LindaFNM wrote: Fri 18 Feb 2022 4:22 pm Bizarre here, pressure rising fast 1000.5, temperature dropped like a brick, the wind’s picked up again and we have very heavy rain interspersed with sleet. I can’t ever remember anything like this.
    Well, that should keep you busy explaining for some months to go ... ;)
    Hans

RayProudfoot
    Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
    Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

mcrossley wrote: Fri 18 Feb 2022 3:59 pm
    I registered a minimum of 975.8 at 11:32 - so looks like I'm still close to calibration, I don't look at it very often!

Highest gust recorded today for me has been 46 mph @ 15:17, and looks like it is calming down again now.
    Wednesday I recorded a gust of 52 mph.
    That places your pressure 0.4hPa lower than mine. Very difficult to compare my station to the airport when they only report to the nearest 1hPa.

For others, Mark and I live less than 3 miles apart so our pressure readings should be very close. Temp, pressure and wind differences will always be there. Bigger difference in wind gust than pressure. I can live with that. :D
    Cheers,
    Ray, Cheshire.

RayProudfoot
    Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
    Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

LindaFNM wrote: Fri 18 Feb 2022 4:22 pm Bizarre here, pressure rising fast 1000.5, temperature dropped like a brick, the wind’s picked up again and we have very heavy rain interspersed with sleet. I can’t ever remember anything like this.
    Cold front has gone through. ;)
    Cheers,
    Ray, Cheshire.

HansR

Post by HansR »

mcrossley wrote: Fri 18 Feb 2022 4:04 pm
    I don't know what you mean with the 2 second gust or instantaneous. I did not setup anything to that, where can I?

The 131 measurement does not seem to be a fault. I just learned that the KNMI high gust for my area was officially 125 km/h So my 131 for me is within device accuracy.
    Hans