Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

(Note that 4.1.0 (build 4024) - 05 June 2024 remains available, but usage of this version is not recommended - particularly for Davis stations - and the included utility in this distribution for migrating to v4 is known to contain errors affecting conversion of dayfile.txt)

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

User Reports and iFrame

Discussion of the Cumulusutils tool and website generator.

Moderator: HansR

AndyKF650
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: RPiv4 64bit Linux 12 Bookworm

Re: User Reports and iFrame

Post by AndyKF650 »

Hi Hans

I have just worked out that the CURPT prefix on UserReports works as many times as needed! Whilst I had been using the CMX extra webfiles to generate UserReports I am aware that for my reports which deal with monthly and annual data there is little need to refresh this data every 15 minutes.

I have set up the long files ie CURPTMonthYear.txt files which are regenerated at the daily thrifty update. Having checked the results it all seems to work efficiently, another use of CUtils sorted for me :)

The short time frame files with current daily data are still run across CMX.
LindaFNM
Weather Station: Ecowitt
Operating System: Raspberry Pi

Post by LindaFNM »

Andy,

A quick hijack here if I may! Still trying to get to grips with the logic before I go any further.

If I understand correctly, I have the CURPT files in utils, plus an entry in the web files in MX for the file. If I use the TodayYesterday as an example, once the website command is run this produces a TodayYesterday.txt from the CURPT version which I’ve also been copying to the web folder. Cumulus then seem to add a .txttmp file in utils and copies it to the web folder. Once the menu drop down is clicked it should load the .txt file which is updated from the .txttmp version? Not sure if I should have both a .txt.and a .txttmp in the same web folder? Hope the above gibberish is clear…… Many thanks,

Linda
AndyKF650

Post by AndyKF650 »

Hi Linda

Bear with me for a couple of hours, I will reply early afternoon.
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Post by HansR »

AndyKF650 wrote: Mon 14 Feb 2022 9:45 am I have just worked out that the CURPT prefix on UserReports works as many times as needed!
OK, I don't really understand what you mean by this but the rest of your post I can follow :)
Indeed you can split you reports over different frequencies using both CMX and CUtils for different reports.

I will further stay out of the discussion between you and Linda unless a big questions arises.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4023+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
AndyKF650

Post by AndyKF650 »

Hi Hans

I have three UserReports at the moment namely CURPTAndyKAllTimeMonth.txt, CURPTAndyKAllTimeYear.txt and CURPTAndyKMonthYear.txt all of which run at my daily rollover and produce the various .txt files to my website. It is the CURPT prefix that I was referring to.
AndyKF650

Post by AndyKF650 »

Hi Linda

If I understand correctly you currently have a RPi running CMX and an internal html page running a CUtils style website. This reflects my set up before I went to a public hosted site.

So dealing with your issue using CMX Extra Web Files to process your UserReport.txt file should work by setting the source as /home/pi/CumulusMX/utils/AndyKUserReport.txt and the destination folder as for example /var/www/html/CUtils. Setting the frequency to 5mins helps for development purposes but I would suggest a 15 min frequency for long running. This will get the .txt file to your "website" .

You need to control the .txt files with the CUsermenu.txt, my file is attached, and you should be able to see that the first working set of lines show how I have set up the menu bar on my site to deal with the files. The attached screen shot shows how the coding reflects in the website real world. Once you have changed the CUsermenu'.txt file you will need to copy it to the /var/www/html/CUtils folder where it will find the UserReport.txt

After a while of playing around with my internal website and learning just how the various items link together transfer to a hosted site was just a matter of transferring the basic CUtils structure via Filezilla to the new site and then making sure that any Extra Web file links that referred to the internal site were changed to the public site.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you get stuck or if I have completely missed the point.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LindaFNM

Post by LindaFNM »

Andy,

Yes, correct, I have the same setup with a Pi 3B+ running an internal website. Your initial step by step notes helped a lot to begin with. You’ve obviously really to grips with the whole thing very well! It’s the logic of how things work which I need to look at, I think my main issue is being too lazy to make notes which I need to address.

Thanks, I’ve got the drop down menu, plus text files and can happily run the website parameter and get my .txt files, see photos. The bit I’m missing is an automatic update and for some reason, I think Cumulus is putting e.g. TodayYesterday.txttmp in the website, not sure how the .txttmp bit is getting there and why it isn’t .txt. I’m also using the default web intervals. I’m sure I’ve skewed something somewhere which prompted yesterday’s partial meltdown. I’ve copied your files for now, but would prefer to properly understand for myself, also, your heading differs so I need to sort that eventually. I need to do things in baby steps or I get in such a muddle I do more harm than good :D . One day I might even get to use Charts…

Linda
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AndyKF650

Post by AndyKF650 »

Hi Linda

Looking at your screen shots the extra web files gives the game away, if you are running your internal "website" on your RPi you don't need to FTP the files they just copy and paste to the destination.

You appear to not be using the /var/www/html/CUtils folder, is this set up, did you install Apache and PHP on the RPi ? Once this is done the next set would be to go back to CMX and Internet settings and enable the file copy and destination folder as per my screen shot. Ignore the FTP stuff as this is surplus to your needs. Then once this is done go through the internet settings and untick the FTP lines and tick copy instead for all the lines of files and graphs.

Your website will show up in your browser at http://192.168.1.122:CUtils/index. As you say baby steps, let me know how you get on.
Referring to the menu labeling this is in CUsermenu towards the top of each batch for example UserReports in the following code
</li>
<li class='nav-item dropdown'>
<a class='nav-link dropdown-toggle' href='#' id='navbarDropdown' role='button' data-toggle='dropdown' aria-haspopup='true' aria-expanded='false'> UserReports </a>

I hope this helps a bit
LindaFNM

Post by LindaFNM »

This driving me potty(er)!!!! :lol: :lol: I have gremlins in my Pi.

I knew I hadn’t ticked the FTP settings in extra web files, but after yesterday, I unticked them last night, then gave up and had a glass of wine. This morning, all the FTP ticks were back!! Cumulus obviously has a mind of its own and is trying to tell me something….. I’ve unticked it all again and removed the .txttmp files. I need FTP on the Extrasensors so have left that alone. Any ideas why this is happening please?

Next, User Reports now working, after a fashion. This is where I’ve been doing something wrong. I’ve discovered that if I run utils the CURPT files turn into text ones, but with the web tags removed. Cumulus quite reasonably copies these over as is. I solved that by simply renaming the CURPT files as the output text files. This sort of removed the point of the CURPT files, so what am I doing wrong please, I have to be missing something fundamental here?!

Thanks for your patience Andy and Hans, I will get there eventually :groan:
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

I knew I hadn’t ticked the FTP settings in extra web files, but after yesterday, I unticked them last night, then gave up and had a glass of wine. This morning, all the FTP ticks were back!! Cumulus obviously has a mind of its own and is trying to tell me something….. I’ve unticked it all again and removed the .txttmp files. I need FTP on the Extrasensors so have left that alone. Any ideas why this is happening please?
Silly question but you are clicking on the Save button at the bottom of the page after making the amendments and not just assuming that the amendments are saved. Secondly you are getting the message "Settings Saved" and you have no settings outlined in RED which are incorrect?
David
LindaFNM

Post by LindaFNM »

Oh dear, :oops: sorry, ignore the Cumulus issue. I’m not confessing to discovering that I have not only page 1 of the extra web files filled in, but page 7 also. I’d obviously thought page 7 was page 1 at some stage. Discovered that when trying to delete all the odd FTP ticks down every page. Goodness know what that’s been doing!
LindaFNM

Post by LindaFNM »

Please ignore my posts for today, I've just re read the Wiki which answers my issues. User Reports now working very well, just need refinement.

Hans,

Maybe you want to remove the posts as a waste of space? Thanks very much.

Linda
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Post by HansR »

Linda,

Glad you found your way out with the help of Andy and David.

Removing posts is a bad habit as most threads, including this one, offer learning for others, so I will leave it.
I sometimes remove single posts only when erroneous offensive remarks are made but that is clearly not the case here.

You try, you fail, you ask, you get help. That's life. We all get there at some point and resolve issues with the help of others. You should be glad to share your experience(s), learn and later help others. That is what this is all about. Stepwise improvement, stumble and fall.
Thomas Merton:

We stumble and fall constantly even when we are most enlightened. But when we are in true [spiritual] darkness, we do not even know that we have fallen.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4023+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
LindaFNM

Post by LindaFNM »

Hans,

Thank you.

I judge my progress by the amount of reading of the wiki and forum that makes sense, as opposed to bewilderment :D At least copying Andy’s files has introduced me to new subjects, the next of which will be css.

Linda
AndyKF650

Post by AndyKF650 »

I am glad that something is starting to make sense now.

As Hans says progress is often a stop start process.