Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus is hung up

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
aznetcowboy
Weather Station: Davis 6153 Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Cumulus is hung up

Post by aznetcowboy »

I like to every now and then reboot my computer to make sure memory is not cluttered with miscellaneous garbage. I hadn't done it for awhile, but all of a sudden Cumulus hung up. It says "initialing" and that is it. So I closed it out (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and then rebooted. When Cumulus tries to start up again it is initialing and there it sits, again. I tried shutting it down by clicking on the "X" and all I get it "(not responding)" to the right of the word Cumulus on the left side of the banner.

The last time this happened I shut the computer down and left it down for about a week. When I restarted the computer then the Cumulus started up and has been running for several weeks now before hanging again. Does anyone have any idea at all what is going on here? The last time this happened I also gave up on running my weather station. :(

Any idea at all what might be happening? :?
Tom Wills
Ridge Run Weather Station: http://www.ridgerun.us
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Cumulus is hung up

Post by RayProudfoot »

You don’t make it clear if you closed Cumulus cleanly before rebooting your PC. If you didn’t then that could cause problems.

Looking at the time in your banner suggests the last good collection of data occurred around 13:32 local on 25 January.

See if this helps. https://cumuluswiki.org/a/FAQ#On_restar ... t_last_ran

You might want to look through the Cumulus1 FAQ link top-right to see if anything applies to your situation. I leave Cumulus running for months at a time before considering a reboot. I’ve seen no evidence of ‘garbage’ building up.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

aznetcowboy
Weather Station: Davis 6153 Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Post by aznetcowboy »

I have tried all sorts of thing including what you suggested. I finally was getting to the point of doing a restore of a older backup. But, just before doing so, I tried going into the Cumulus directory and I clicked directly on the Cumulus.exe file and said to run as Administrator. That did it. Not sure what that had to do with it, but it is now working. :D
Tom Wills
Ridge Run Weather Station: http://www.ridgerun.us
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

Tom, good news indeed. Windows XP isn’t fussy about that requirement ( I doubt it exists) but W10 certainly is.

You can create a shortcut on your desktop for Cumulus, right-click and choose properties, advanced and tick “run as administrator “.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.