Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Solar Spike on CumulusMX

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
malkie
Weather Station: Davis Vision-Vue
Operating System: Raspbian Jessie

Solar Spike on CumulusMX

Post by malkie »

Last month I updated my VP2 ISS with a WLL plus Airlink.

Last weekend CumulusMX recorded a spike in the Solar data at 00:14. I never normally see spikes in the data.

The spike was not seen on WeatherLink live.

I have attached a screenshot from CumulusMX.

I have removed the entries from month.ini and the dayfile but just curious if anyone else has seen similar behaviour?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by malkie on Tue 01 Feb 2022 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolm
North Herts, UK
http://elm30net.ddns.net
CumulusMX on Raspberry Pi4 B+ 2GB, running on Raspbian Buster booting from USB SSD
from a Davis Vantage Vue with VP2 ISS.
malkie
Weather Station: Davis Vision-Vue
Operating System: Raspbian Jessie

Re: Solar Spike on CumulusMX

Post by malkie »

Here is the similar time period on Davis WeatherLink site:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Malcolm
North Herts, UK
http://elm30net.ddns.net
CumulusMX on Raspberry Pi4 B+ 2GB, running on Raspbian Buster booting from USB SSD
from a Davis Vantage Vue with VP2 ISS.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

I don't suppose you had data logging enabled at the time?
martinps2
Weather Station: Fine offset with solr sensor
Operating System: linux

Post by martinps2 »

Hi all I have experienced this problem and I am now convinced it is spurious pickup from somewhere and if you can move the console it may improve things, as I seem to have found, also I am yet to re fit some ferrite sleeve as I have now moved the console again and fingers crossed no spike for three days, ( i'm sure this will be a jinx ). Anyway I will keep my eye on it and report back. Unfortunately any type of spike removal would not help, unless you could specify as in my case from midnight to 3 am in summer and 5pm to 8am in winter ignore solar and what about the months in between, impossible. Out of interest the spike I get or got were 1662 and 340 generally at various time from 00:20 to 04:00. Sorry this is not much help but just to say you are not the only one.
Regards
Martin

Well sadly it worked OK for a while then BAM several random spikes again strangely 1662. so went in and edited as much as possible. Am I missing something, I go through everything but I can't seem to clear it on the graph and if I do manage by accident it sometimes reappears. any ideas anyone please.
Martin
martinps2
Weather Station: Fine offset with solr sensor
Operating System: linux

Post by martinps2 »

I hope i'm doing this right, please bear with an older generation IT expert ie: DOS and now using Linux.
Just as a follow up to my first. I still get solar spikes at random times and the only way to cure my local station records is to stop CumulusMX copy the backup files from the previous day and load them in to data. Restart CumulusMX and then let it reload data and the spike has gone. the only trouble is if i'm away I have to keep my eye on the station remotely and then go in via vnc. but it works.
Does anyone else have the spike problem. now it seems to be solar 1246 every time.????
confused.com

Well. I am in to july 2023 now and still getting solar spike problem most are 1246 at random times as well even with no sun. My only cure to date is to go to the backup folder and select all the files in the previous days backup then load them in to the data file and restart Cumulus and let it update from the weather station consol memory and then all is OK until the next time. Give it about an hour to reload everything to the website and update the graphs etc.

ANOTHER UPDATE

Well here we are in August 23 and I am pretty sure this is now due toa loss of communication with the external unit as it seems to coincide with that. Just thought I would add this.