Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Tonga Eruption

Talk about the weather
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Re: Tonga Eruption

Post by ConligWX »

Altocumulus wrote: Tue 18 Jan 2022 4:24 pm I wanted to check back through the graphs to see if I'd had a similar spike in the data, but on my localhost/charts display I have 12 hours of data on display. Only "All" is emboldened, the other 3 options are greyed out.

I assume there's a way to check back on previous days, or have I lost the opportunity without a lot of work - Historic Charts option is way too coarse.

I've looked back on our seismometer, but nothing appears to show beyond the background noise.
change your graph hours to 96 that will give you 4 days worth of data in the charts. settings, station settings, Graphs
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •

BeaumarisWX
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus - 24hr FARS
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Hades Canyon

Post by BeaumarisWX »

Tony Beaumaris, Tasmania (AUS)

CMX Mobile : https://beaumaris-weather.com/BWX/
CMX Default: https://beaumaris-weather.com/cumulusmx_default/
Colour Dashboard : https://beaumaris-weather.com/dashborad_color.php
Click below for Saratoga Template :
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Post by HansR »

@BeaumarisWX: thanks, nice reading, It may take some time before comment because of difficulty level and not being available for some days ;)
The second link gives me a 502 bad gateway error.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
Altocumulus
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 with Solar
Operating System: Windows 10 Home

Post by Altocumulus »

ConligWX wrote: Tue 18 Jan 2022 8:44 pm
Altocumulus wrote: Tue 18 Jan 2022 4:24 pm I wanted to check back through the graphs to see if I'd had a similar spike in the data, but on my localhost/charts display I have 12 hours of data on display. Only "All" is emboldened, the other 3 options are greyed out.

I assume there's a way to check back on previous days, or have I lost the opportunity without a lot of work - Historic Charts option is way too coarse.

I've looked back on our seismometer, but nothing appears to show beyond the background noise.
change your graph hours to 96 that will give you 4 days worth of data in the charts. settings, station settings, Graphs
Thanks Simon.

I had a 1 hPa spike rise at 1820 on Saturday against a general fall trend, and a 1 hPa dip at 0220 on Sunday.
billy
Weather Station: WLL / Davis VP2+
Operating System: RPi bullseye

Post by billy »

some ... belated ... Western Australian observations.

The main eruption occurred at ~ 12:20 (15/01/2022) WA time (WST = +8 UTC). The first pressure wave arrived almost precisely 6 hours later (left arrow, black) at 18:20 WST. We are 6859 km from the volcano so that gives a speed of 1,143 km/hr. The barometric disturbance lasted a little over an hour.

The second arrow (from the left - red) at 17:10 (16 Jan) WST marks the pressure wave that came the long way around to Perth via Tonga's antipodean point ... 33,216 km, giving a speed of 1,145 km/hr (almost too close to the first estimate given the rough calculations being made here :roll: ).

I thought it might be interesting to stretch all this and "read the tea leaves" to see if the waves could be detected going around a second time (ignoring interference etc). The primary/direct wave seems to appear again at 06:10 (17 Jan ... right black arrow) ... that's 36 hours after it arrived the first time and equates to a speed of 1,113 km/hour (distance of a full lap of the earth is about 40,074 km). So it's seems to have slowed a bit.

As for the other side of the wave - for us the component headed ENE from Tonga and coming to us from the west, there is also a blip (right red arrow) at 04:10 on18 Jan which might be a second coming :twisted:. This is 35 hours since that front arrived the first time and equates to a speed of 40,074 / 35 = 1,144 km/hr.

Tonga.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Altocumulus

Post by Altocumulus »

That's some shock wave, just slightly faster than the speed of sound and, it seems, comparable with estimates on Krakatoa.

Very interesting calculations - here in NE Scotland I have to use a bit of licence to see anything really beyond the first two waves.
Last edited by Altocumulus on Thu 20 Jan 2022 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
sutne
Weather Station: HP2553 (WS80) and HP2564 (WS90)
Operating System: Raspbian Bullseye and Bookworm

Post by sutne »

just slightly faster than the speed of light
Or maybe speed of sound?
billy
Weather Station: WLL / Davis VP2+
Operating System: RPi bullseye

Post by billy »

Just a little slower than sound ;)
Altocumulus

Post by Altocumulus »

Flip - too early in the morning !!!! :bash:
apple8
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by apple8 »

Given that the pressure wave spreads in all directions from one point and the planet is more or less round, hypothetically is there a point where they all meet and what happens there?
Altocumulus

Post by Altocumulus »

apple8 wrote: Fri 21 Jan 2022 5:46 am Given that the pressure wave spreads in all directions from one point and the planet is more or less round, hypothetically is there a point where they all meet and what happens there?
One would suspect, much like the tide and waves on the sea - in opposite directions, there's an amplification.
HansR

Post by HansR »

BeaumarisWX wrote: Mon 17 Jan 2022 10:34 am I suppose I am going out on a limb here:
Though I suppose I am asking for your thoughts on this :
I have spent the better part of my life tracking Earthquakes and Cyclones, over that Time I have found that when we have CME's (Coronal Mass Ejections from the Sun), which some of us love (because it produces Auroras). That however through my monitoring over time I have found that in the event of a said CME, if it coincides with a Low Pressure System (better known as a Cyclone or even just that a Low Pressure System). It results in Volcanic Disturbance. I believe this is what happened with the Tonga Eruption.
You can see in the images attached, the significant Low Pressure System and the Eruption in Tonga. It all culminated around the same Time as the Arrival of the BoM Forecast CME. I am not a Scientist, but one who has observed Facts over time and I do believe in what the stats say.

It dose not always translate to a Volcanic Eruption, as in most cases it results in a maybe small Earthquake.
I came along a tweet describing a debunking of the correlation of full moon and earthquakes and remembered your post and my reaction. Although not completely what you were referring to it may be used as the line of debunking I was thinking about in my reply. You just need the data for the meteo ;)

1) The tweet by Brendan Crowell
2) The Github repository of his code, data and findings.

Needless to say that correlating earthquakes/volcanic eruptions with lesser influences like the weather and solar flares etc... will be multitudes more difficult if it were only because - to start with - a question would be which weather/solar events are included and which are not.

Sorry, it is a long time ago but could not let it go by 8-)
Hans

HansR

Post by HansR »

This is a nice spin off of this eruption (holiday study) https://twitter.com/RARohde/status/1685971656198545408
The Hunga Tonga–Hunga Haʻapai eruption was unusually water rich (& sulfur poor), injecting ~150 million tonnes of water into the stratosphere, increasing global upper atmosphere water mass by ~15%.

As a powerful greenhouse gas, this water may have contributed to recent warming.
And probably to the massive downpours as well (my addition)
    Schermafbeelding 2023-08-06 133745.png
    You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    Hans

ConligWX
    Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
    Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

Interesting.....

on a nother note... here in Northern Ireland we have just had the wettest July month on record - since records began in 1836!

src: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/p ... rn-ireland
    Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
    Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •

RayProudfoot
    Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
    Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

ConligWX wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 1:42 pm Interesting.....

on a nother note... here in Northern Ireland we have just had the wettest July month on record - since records began in 1836!
    There’s a topic for that. All-time records can also include monthly ones.
    viewtopic.php?t=2676

It’s perplexing how little discussion there is about the weather especially when you consider how wet and cool July was. :(
    Cheers,
    Ray, Cheshire.