Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Ecowitt Advice

GW1000 WiFi gateway
Gyvate
Weather Station: GW1x00/WH2650WiFi/HP2553/GW2000
Operating System: Win 11 (PC/RPi), Raspbian 11,WSL

Re: Ecowitt Advice

Post by Gyvate »

freddie wrote: Sat 15 Jan 2022 6:35 am The Path is literally /station/ecowitt - nothing to change, use as-is. Double-check the IP address is that of your raspberry pi, and that you have put in the correct port.

Also bear in mind that a majority of hp2551 users have reported that you should use your station's console to input the settings, as they don't appear to 'take' if you use the WS View app.
1. also, very important, put ONLY the IP address, and NO "http://" in front: e.g. 192.168.1.99 (and NOT http://192.168.1.99)
2. make sure your router allows communication between devices inside the network (console and RPi) - in some routers this needs to be explicitly allowed as the default setting is "not allowed".
3. regarding path, as @freddie pointed out, /station/ecowitt (NO closing "/" or the like !!)
These are the commonly known pitfalls
The WS View Plus app works in all cases I know (and they are quite a few) - but no harm doing the configuration inside the console with the "mouse piano".
In the WS View (Plus) app you have to press "save" and wait for a little "success" message/window to pop up !
Then sign out form the device and verify again from the start. If the config was successful, the new data will appear.
WS View may have some connectivity issues with the console depending on your network situation - you can of course avoid this by programming the console directly.

Your console WiFi firmware should be latest: 1.6.1 (console/device firmware should be 1.7.7, also the latest) - the HP2551 console has/needs two different types of firmware.
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

Your console WiFi firmware should be latest: 1.6.1
Searched the Ecowitt site and I can find no mention of WiFi Firmware only Console Firmware?
David
Gyvate

Post by Gyvate »

water01 wrote: Sat 15 Jan 2022 10:28 am
Your console WiFi firmware should be latest: 1.6.1
Searched the Ecowitt site and I can find no mention of WiFi Firmware only Console Firmware?
WiFi firmware is usually offered via the WS View (plus) app. In the WS View Plus app you can see your actual WiFi firmware revision in the device list.
see attachment
EasyWeather is the firmware for consoles with separate WiFi and device firmware (the GW1x00,WH2650, and GW2000 have a combined firmware).
You may want to read: https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=40730.0 (pictures only visible when you register [free]).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bpoos
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by bpoos »

freddie wrote: Sat 15 Jan 2022 6:35 am The Path is literally /station/ecowitt - nothing to change, use as-is. Double-check the IP address is that of your raspberry pi, and that you have put in the correct port.

Also bear in mind that a majority of hp2551 users have reported that you should use your station's console to input the settings, as they don't appear to 'take' if you use the WS View app.
Thank you all for your help! It's been driving me crazy trying to set this up - silly me trying to put in the Ecowitt station name :lol:
I use the station console to put in settings.
bpoos

Post by bpoos »

So now I have my CumulusMX dashboard working with my pi zero and HP2551, but i would like to add in my Ecowitt wh32 temperature sensor (which I call my 'shade' temperature because i hang it in a tree). Both sensors show on the ecowitt net site, but the wh32 doesn't show on WS View or Wunderground views.

I can see that in the settings tab on CumulusMX there is a spot where it says to use Path:/station/ecowittextra to configure Custom Server for an extra sensor, but in both my WS view and on the HP2551 console, I can only see the possibility for one custom server configuration, and i have already used that to connect to the pi. I tried using Path: /station/ecowittextra but i lost my connection and have now reverted to /station/ecowitt

So i am wondering whether or not it is possible to connect an extra sensor from HP2551 to CumulusMX or would i need to get myself a GW1100 which i really don't want to do at this stage? Any tips?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bpoos

Post by bpoos »

So now I have my CumulusMX dashboard working with my pi zero and HP2551, but i would like to add in my Ecowitt wh32 temperature sensor (which I call my 'shade' temperature because i hang it in a tree). Both sensors show on the ecowitt net site, but the wh32 doesn't show on WS View or Wunderground views.

I can see that in the settings tab on CumulusMX there is a spot where it says to use Path:/station/ecowittextra to configure Custom Server for an extra sensor, but in both my WS view and on the HP2551 console, I can only see the possibility for one custom server configuration, and i have already used that to connect to the pi. I tried using Path: /station/ecowittextra but i lost my connection and have now reverted to /station/ecowitt

So i am wondering whether or not it is possible to connect an extra sensor from HP2551 to CumulusMX or would i need to get myself a GW1100 which i really don't want to do at this stage? Any tips?
Gyvate

Post by Gyvate »

Your console can only send and/or display readings of ONE outdoor temperature/humidity sensor (Highlander principle 8-) ).
If you have a WH65/WS69 or WS80 outdoor array and want their readings replaced by your WH32, you will have to activate the WH32 in the Sensors ID section of the setup (setup [gear wheel] --> More [setup]). It will then ignore the reading from the array and send the WH32 readings instead. If you want more outdoor (or indoor) temperature readings, you will have to use extra temperature sensors from the WH31 family.
Their readings will appear in the CMX extra sensor section/page. In the console display they will be cycling (if the feature is activated) together with the indoor temperature sensor.
You want explicitly also the outdoor T/H readings from the array, you need a second console (e.g. GW1x00) where you don't activate/disable the T/H sensor.
I also recommend you read https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=40730.0 (pictures only visible when you register [free]).
There are many topics/questions you have covered in that thread.
You could call it sort of "the Bible" for Ecowitt station users.
bpoos

Post by bpoos »

Gyvate wrote: Sat 15 Jan 2022 12:59 pm Your console can only send and/or display readings of ONE outdoor temperature/humidity sensor (Highlander principle 8-) ).
If you have a WH65/WS69 or WS80 outdoor array and want their readings replaced by your WH32, you will have to activate the WH32 in the Sensors ID section of the setup (setup [gear wheel] --> More [setup]). It will then ignore the reading from the array and send the WH32 readings instead. If you want more outdoor (or indoor) temperature readings, you will have to use extra temperature sensors from the WH31 family.
Their readings will appear in the CMX extra sensor section/page. In the console display they will be cycling (if the feature is activated) together with the indoor temperature sensor.
You want explicitly also the outdoor T/H readings from the array, you need a second console (e.g. GW1x00) where you don't activate/disable the T/H sensor.
I also recommend you read https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=40730.0 (pictures only visible when you register [free]).
There are many topics/questions you have covered in that thread.
You could call it sort of "the Bible" for Ecowitt station users.
Really appreciating the help! I may have been inaccurate in describing my W32 - It is actually the indoor sensor that came with my HP2551 set. I read that it is weatherproof so I have it outside in the shade as a preference to the one up on the roof in the sun with the array. I tried to disable the sensor in the array on the console and register the WH32 indoor sensor but the WH32 does not seem to be overriding the one on the array. I checked the link you provided (thank you), but am guessing then that the instructions don't apply to the WH32 (indoor) type sensor? Does this mean that i need to purchase the W32 outdoor 2-in-one? And if I use the WH32 outdoor, will the pressure readings still come through from the array? (I see that only the indoor WH32 includes pressure readings)? I have attached some pictures of my console display. (For some reason the shade temp is hotter than on the roof this morning) :lol:
console 1.jpg
console 2.jpg
Gyvate

Post by Gyvate »

you don't seem to have read (at least not thoroughly) the thread offered in the wxforum. :(
All your questions are explained there and also your console.

A WH32 (outdoor T/H sensor) and a WH32B (indoor T/H/P) sensor are two completely different devices.
And the name in the parantheses says it all. They are not exchangeable. You can deactivate them, but you can't replace one by the other.
It's (somehow) like wanting to use a real bed instead of a sunbed on your balcony or in your garden.

The console doesn't allow, and honestly, it doesn't make sense either.
And, disabling/deactivating the sensor array will only leave the indoor T/H/P active - and if you deactivate this one too, you will have nothing the see on the console.
At least it will be a constant picture. :mrgreen:

The pressure readings don't come from the outdoor array but from the indoor combo sensor (WH32B).
There is no difference in air pressure in your apartment from outside (except you live in a pressure chamber).

As said already earlier, if you want to have two outdoor T/H readings (array + 2nd location), you will need an extra sensor (WH31 family), but it will not show as the main outdoor T/H sensor (console left ring symbol) but as extra temperature/humidity (console right, smaller circle).
If you don't want to have the array reading but a T/H reading at a different place and have it shown instead of the array reading for T/H, you will have to purchase a WH32(-EP) sensor and activate it (T/H).
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

I see weatherspares here in the UK are now selling Ecowitt devices.

https://weatherspares.co.uk/collections/ecowitt
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •

davepaterson
Weather Station: HP2552 , WH40/WH68+WH57/GW1100C
Operating System: Windows 11/11

Post by davepaterson »

The end of my Aercus wether station is close and I am looking at the Ecowitt HP2551 or 2552.
My question is :- is the extra cost of the HP2552 worth it in terms of getting more accurate readings.?
Gyvate

Post by Gyvate »

davepaterson wrote: Mon 19 Dec 2022 10:05 pm The end of my Aercus wether station is close and I am looking at the Ecowitt HP2551 or 2552.
My question is :- is the extra cost of the HP2552 worth it in terms of getting more accurate readings.?
Depends on what you understand by that.
What is better with the HP2552 (HP2550 console [+ WH32 3-in-1 indoor sensor], WS68 5-in-1 array, WH40 rain gauge, WH32 outdoor T/H sensor)is that you can place the sensors in different places with their optimized height, as wind, rain and outdoor T/H have different optimal locations which in a 7-in-1 (WS69) sensor array of the HP2551 model are always a compromise as they are all in the same location.
davepaterson
Weather Station: HP2552 , WH40/WH68+WH57/GW1100C
Operating System: Windows 11/11

Post by davepaterson »

Thanks for the reply. With 77 coming very quickly my days of going up ladders to get optimized height are well behind me so the WS68 will go where the 7 in 1 is at present, so the actual question is will the WS68 5 in 1 give more accurate readings than the HP2551 7 in 1when siting will be in the same place.
water01
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

Probably not in this case. My Hp2551 has been very reliable.
David
Gyvate

Post by Gyvate »

It can still give some better readings as it won't have the side-effects of turbulences created by the WH65/WN69 body ...
Last edited by Gyvate on Tue 20 Dec 2022 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.