Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.5 (build 3282) - 23 February 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Raspberry-pi, CumulusMX, RTLSDR-dongle, sniffing Fineoffset transmitter

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
WimT
Weather Station: WH3080
Operating System: Raspberry B+, Noobs, CumulusMX

Raspberry-pi, CumulusMX, RTLSDR-dongle, sniffing Fineoffset transmitter

Post by WimT »

Dear readers,
At the moment i am searching for a solution for my Fineoffset weather station WH3080, this because of the returning USB-lockup in 2 sets WH3080 connected to raspberry-pi using USB-connection.
The 2 sets WH3080 are in use on different locations in the same city.

Maybe somebody can tell me and help me with the next questions, and give instructions to find and correct the several scripts. Of course I have searched the internet for this solution but could not find.

The solution to reset the Base-set WH3080 using a switch/hub and additional script is not ideal because of wrong pressure data after reset.

Is it possible to use a raspberry-pi and install and configurate for;
1) Install CumulusMX software and use data coming from RTLSDR dongle?
2) Using RTLSDR dongle and software for sniffering the WH3080 transmitter data?
3) Because of the missing data for pressure- and inside-temp, add a temp/pressure sensor on the Raspberry-pi.
4) Wich problems do i not recognise in these configuration?

There must be many people using Raspberry-pi in combination with WH3080 or other Fineoffsets, think several of them also suffering for the USB lockup issue.

The reason to do so;
The Raspberry-pi no longer need USB connection with WH3080
The RTLSDR dongle (R820T2 price €10,00 up to 25,95) and temp/pressure sensor (BMP180 € 10,95) not that expensive.
The raspberry-pi can be used as stand alone unit, using wifi or network cable to connect to router
The WH3080 Fineoffset transmitter and receiver are still working as normal set.

Like to read your response,
Kind regards, Wim
uncle_bob
Weather Station: WeatherDuino Pro2
Operating System: 2008

Re: Raspberry-pi, CumulusMX, RTLSDR-dongle, sniffing Fineoffset transmitter

Post by uncle_bob »

There's a few of us that dumped our FineOffset transmitters and receivers and replaced them with Werk_AG's WeatherDuino Pro2 system. This uses the rain and wind sensors from the FineOffSet but provides stability and accuracy of a Davis system but is more configurable than a Davis system. You can hook this up to the Pi running CumulusMX.

More information here: http://www.meteocercal.info/forum/Threa ... Duino-Pro2
Interested in building your own Weather Station? Maybe check out the WeatherDuino Pro Project Here
Conder, Canberra Weather
WimT

Post by WimT »

Hi Uncle_bob,

Thanks for your reply.
This "weatherduino"solution is very drastic, and maybe the best way to get a reliable weather-set. (i keep this solution in my mind)

Maybe somebody can help to get the scripts working for my idea? (raspberry, cumulusmx, rtlsdr-dongle sniffing Fineoffset)
At least i want to try it, because several parts are in home now, it is just i can not get the scripts to work together ;)

So maybe some Raspberry-pi experts are triggered to help?

With kind regards,
Wim
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

If you search you will find several people have set up systems to receive FO transmissions directly. I played around using a Hope RFM module hooked up to rPi, I never got it working satisfactorily, primarily I think because my transmitter was an 868 MHz unit and most of the code/documentation I found was for the 433 MHz. FO also changed the encoding at some point.

There is a thread on this forum where people have played around in the past: https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4507 There is more info on the WX forum.
WimT

Post by WimT »

Thanks guys, your response give me much information, now i need some time to read. :)

Kind regards,
Wim
tumutbound
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Linux, Raspberry Pi (Wheezy)

Post by tumutbound »

On my ToDo list is to use a HopeRF receiver on a Raspberry Pi to intercept the FIne Offset data. Not at the top of the list though.

I have a couple of plugin boards from openenergymonitor.org that should help do the job.They contain an Atmel 328 and a Hoperf RFM128 so can run the Jeelabs RFM128 libraries. I have a link somewhere to the data format used in the FO transmissions.
One problem I have to to identify the transmitter of my weather station as it's not the only one nearby. Adding to the clutter are a number of beacons or data transmitters used locally in aquaculture - lots of salmon farms near me.
My weather
CumulusMX (3036)
Raspberry Pi: Wheezy
FineOffset WH1081
WimT

Post by WimT »

tumutbound wrote:On my ToDo list is to use a HopeRF receiver on a Raspberry Pi to intercept the FIne Offset data. Not at the top of the list though.

I have a couple of plugin boards from openenergymonitor.org that should help do the job.They contain an Atmel 328 and a Hoperf RFM128 so can run the Jeelabs RFM128 libraries. I have a link somewhere to the data format used in the FO transmissions.
One problem I have to to identify the transmitter of my weather station as it's not the only one nearby. Adding to the clutter are a number of beacons or data transmitters used locally in aquaculture - lots of salmon farms near me.
Hello Tumutbound,
Well, i only can give you the tip to use a homemade HB9CV to intercept your own FO transmitter, use vertical position ;) , for dimensions see
http://www.changpuak.ch/electronics/HB9CV.php , fill in your receive frequency.
Kind regards,
Wim
watsonm
Weather Station: N96GY -but like Triggers Broom!!
Operating System: Raspberry Pi4 Vers:11 Bullseye

Post by watsonm »

Don't know if this thread is still active but I have used the SDR dongle and RTL_433 to receive the data from the Fine Offset transmitter.

At the moment I am trying to decide how best to display it.

Receiver is on a raspberry Pi4 and I am working on this to act as a backup in case the console dies. The console is connected to a
Pi3 which is running CumulusMX and also dump1090 to monitor the ADSB signal from aircraft.
(yes! I am a retired software engineer!!! :D )

Edit 4th Feb 2022
-----------------------
Managed to input this into CumulusMX using the easyweather.dat file. Also got indoor pressure and temp guage to hook in as well using a BMP388 sensor.

To avoid duplication here is a link to the topic in the Fine Offset group describing my progress in a bit more detail.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16878
Regards Mike
Raspberry Pi 4 Bullseye
Directly connected : BMP388 pressure sensor. DHT22 For internal Humidity/temp Sensor. PMS5003 Particle Sensor
Wireless connected: 3 (WS2083)Temp TXr's, WH57 Lightning Sensor, FO Solar sensor