Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

CumulusMX on Raspberry Pi 4B no data is transmitted

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Re: CumulusMX on Raspberry Pi 4B no data is transmitted

Post by HansR »

The solution by @gyvate is not required because it is actually implemented in CMX itself: you can configure it that, when starting, it waits until network is available. So when starting as a service (which i think you are doing, if not you should) this all already done.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

HansR wrote: Sat 13 Nov 2021 6:23 am The solution by @gyvate is not required because it is actually implemented in CMX itself: you can configure it that, when starting, it waits until network is available. So when starting as a service (which i think you are doing, if not you should) this all already done.
I second this. Why reinvent the wheel?
Freddie
Gyvate
Weather Station: GW1x00/WH2650WiFi/HP2553/GW2000
Operating System: Win 11 (PC/RPi), Raspbian 11,WSL

Post by Gyvate »

HansR wrote: Sat 13 Nov 2021 6:23 am The solution by @gyvate is not required because it is actually implemented in CMX itself: you can configure it that, when starting, it waits until network is available. So when starting as a service (which i think you are doing, if not you should) this all already done.
if you had written "you could" I would have agreed with you.
Otherwise, nothing is really forcing you to run it as a service via systemctl (which has its oddities too) or not doing so is giving you big disadvantages.
And whether it is (generally and for everybody) easier to run it as a service I doubt. Maybe for some it is ...

I know that the real and self-declared experts in this forum recommend the service approach, but
not everybody who is running weather software is (or needs to be) at the same time an adept of the respective operation system.
For most users the KISS principle is sufficient.
Just that many roads lead to Rome ...

And (@freddie) calling the suggested approach the reinvention of the wheel is imho a display of superiority which you might not really have or even if, you could do in a more friendly way. Maybe some humbler wording ...
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Post by HansR »

Gyvate wrote: Sat 13 Nov 2021 8:03 am if you had written "you could" I would have agreed with you.
Otherwise, nothing is really forcing you to run it as a service via systemctl (which has its oddities too) or not doing so is giving you big disadvantages.
And whether it is (generally and for everybody) easier to run it as a service I doubt. Maybe for some it is ...

I know that the real and self-declared experts in this forum recommend the service approach, but
not everybody who is running weather software is (or needs to be) at the same time an adept of the respective operation system.
Just that many roads lead to Rome ...

And (@freddie) calling the suggested approach the reinvention of the wheel is imho a display of superiority which you might not really have or even if, you could do in a more friendly way. Maybe some humbler wording ...
Well, no need to get into some irritated discussion of which is best and calling each other 'real and self-declared expert'. Point is, that what is internal to CMX, but requires different solutions on different OSs when seeking outside the application, should be kept to CMX (the application): it avoids confusion and makes support quite a bit easier.

With high regard to your knowledge of the Froggit/Ecowitt type stations ecosystem and probably also of CMX and solutions around it, it might be useful to keep an open eye to what is happening with CMX itself. Things change as time goes by and wrt CMX I see only progress and reducing the need for all kinds of tools around it creating an OS unified weather app.

We probably agree that other solutions may and must be given the freedom to exist because they favour creativity. Not all users however can appreciate creativity because of its diverseness, but are looking for the easiest, best manageable solutions. There may be a tension between those two.

One conclusion might be to indicate on this forum certain users as (support) experts so that (new) users may value different posts on the forum.
Another conclusion might be that a kind of restructuring of the forum may be useful: a part with strict support and a part with creative solutions where evolution of development can show. I regard these as conflicting. You should take that into account as you are not regularly giving support.

Disclaimer: the above is just an opinion of this self-declared semi-expert with definitely some extended experience in IT and applications and creator of a tool related to CMX internals so you are free to ignore it.

[EDIT:]
Apparently we differ about what is simple and what is stupid.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
Gyvate
Weather Station: GW1x00/WH2650WiFi/HP2553/GW2000
Operating System: Win 11 (PC/RPi), Raspbian 11,WSL

Post by Gyvate »

HansR wrote: Sat 13 Nov 2021 9:45 am .......
[EDIT:]
Apparently we differ about what is simple and what is stupid.
yep - one line entry in the CRONTAB file did all what was needed and was sufficiently simple and "stupid" (easy to follow for a "dummy") - at least for me.
No need to care about reboots, multiple instances of mono (in spite of the option set in CMX) - CMX just (re-)runs as a single instance after a reboot.
If this is considered a legacy solution, be it so - but it works - and is simple and efficient.
inSight-er
Weather Station: WH1080
Operating System: Raspbian Buster

Post by inSight-er »

Thank you all for the tips and hints !
I think works now very fine :)
No more errors or disconnections, at least not in the last few days.

Best regards, Holger
"Probleme kann man meist nicht mit derselben Denkweise lösen, durch die sie entstanden sind."

https://www.kollenbroich.com/Dashboard/ ... Weather.js
inSight-er

Post by inSight-er »

Hi there,
the whole construct is going quite well so far. CumulusMX starts cleanly automatically, with a 30 second delay, data is transferred and saved.
Unfortunately it happens that the USB connection to the WH1080 display device breaks. Then the only option is to restart it, i.e. remove the batteries.
The phenomenon does not occur with the PC variant and it is annoying because I then have to intervene manually.
Does anyone know the problem ? Is there any remedy?

Greetings, Holger
"Probleme kann man meist nicht mit derselben Denkweise lösen, durch die sie entstanden sind."

sutne
Weather Station: HP2553 (WS80) and HP2564 (WS90)
Operating System: Raspbian Bullseye and Bookworm

Post by sutne »

The USB on Raspberry 3 has some problems and it is solved by using a powered USB Hub between the Raspberry and the device.
Maybe the same goes for Raspberry 4.
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

It might also be worth checking to see if there is a power saving feature on USB hubs on Linux systems (which I think there is) like there is on Windows. This causes the operating system to close the connection because it believes that there is no activity on the USB connection to save power.
David
inSight-er

Post by inSight-er »

Hi there,
I'm trying a new approach right now:
The display of the weather station is now exclusively supplied with power from the Raspberry Pi 4 via USB, i.e. I have not installed any batteries. In the event of a restart, the display is now also reset.
So far it has worked well and I can control it automatically. Let's see ... :P