Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Locale setup

Please DO NOT use this to publish your entire wish. This Forum is for specific suggestions to enhance the usability of Cumulus MX for all users, NOT your personal requirements. Please check this forum and the rejected forum to make sure you are NOT posting a DUPLICATE suggestion. It will be heavily monitored by Admin and Mark Crossley to determine the feasibility and the difficulty of the suggestion. Those Topics that are deemed inadmissible will moved to the rejected Forum. The remaining Topics will be the Accepted list of future developments, and when our voluntary development group adds it to a build, the build number will be added to the Topic title.
vpokroglo
Weather Station: WS-2350
Operating System: Raspberry Pi 2

Locale setup

Post by vpokroglo »

I suggest to implement in some future version, complete user side settings for date format.

I have many problems with website third party tools, because of stupid Slovenian locale date records in mono 5.x.x and up versions, which is 12. 10. 2021 (space after dot).
I have tried to change locale in an similar one, but now there is a problem with slightly different month names, resulting in different CumulusMX log files.

Marko

www.okroglovreme.com
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Locale setup

Post by mcrossley »

That is a good idea, I'll look at implementing it...
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Post by HansR »

mcrossley wrote: Wed 13 Oct 2021 8:46 am That is a good idea, I'll look at implementing it...
I remember some discussion roughly two years ago on this subject.

I am not sure complete user side setting of date format will solve the issue. This is about name format of files and internal date format in the logfiles. I think it is a bad idea to have the user choose that. I would suggest to fix every internal use of date format (call it the CMX format), and have fixed filenames.

Where the output is concerned user configuration is already there afaik.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Hi Hans

A schema for storing data would not solve this problem which if I am understanding it correctly is about output from CMX.

The change in month name mentioned has come about due to efforts by the user changing the locale to try and find one that fixes the data format issue.

Yes, the user could go and customise every web tag that is used to output, but that means editing standard files every update they change. But it would not help with things like the Admin interface editors for example which use the local API.

It is much simpler to have one setting to over-ride the default date separator for ALL user output. I see this as primarily used in those locales where under Mono they have had the extra space added to the date separator string in recent releases as this user has.

Don't get me wrong, We've talked about a standardised data storage schema for CMX before, I still think it is a great idea, but it is a big job. Not so much implementing it CMX, but providing the update tools for existing user, migration implications from C1, additional checks in the code etc. And it would not be a total fix for this issue.
HansR

Post by HansR »

@mcrossley: OK :|
Hans

mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

As an aside, I had already changed the next release so it did not care about changes in date separator in the log files.

Playing with this change allowed me to try different separators on the fly, my test system month file now looks like this...

Code: Select all

12/10/21,23:25,10.4, ..
12/   10/   21,23:30,10.5, ...

13/ 10/ 21,09:20,12.4, ...

13-10-21,09:40,12.6, ...

13/10/21,10:05,13.0, ...
and CMX parses it without error :lol:
HansR

Post by HansR »

Does that mean you are going to allow for the space in the datafile dates?
Will this lead to change of date formats in data files?

Or are you just playing around :?

CUtils is a bit more rigid than CMX
Hans

mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

There is no change in what is allowed, if the locale uses ". " as the date separator, then that is what is currently used.

CMX just uses .ToString("dd/MM/yy") so the "/" will be replaced with the locale value.
HansR

Post by HansR »

OK.
And does CMX read that flawlessly when mixed in the logfile?
Hans

mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

The current release uses the date separator, so the whole file must use the same format. The next release allows any date separators (single or multi-byte) and they can be mixed in the same file.