Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WH3081 console replacement

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
rockyd
Weather Station: WH3081
Operating System: Windows 7

WH3081 console replacement

Post by rockyd »

My old console has decided to not want to communicate properly on the usb port. Causing data has stopped errors. still receives data from the sensors. fortunately I have a spare that is still running, but that may also eventually die.
So I am looking to replace the faulty one, but not finding any on the internet. Seeing lots of similar looking consoles as part of other weather stations, does anyone know if any other model weather stations have a compatible console.
Most of the new weather stations seem to be wifi and upload to commercial sites online.
Super-T
Weather Station: wh-1081
Operating System: Weather Laptop - Windows 10 Pro

Re: WH3081 console replacement

Post by Super-T »

Try re-soldering the Console socket but you need to dismantle to do that.
I guess you have tried a different cable?
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

Yes, certainly check for simple "mechanical" problems first. The two "sticky" threads at the top of this (Fine Offset) section may give a few hints on dismantling the Console.

AFAIK, the vast majority of "Similar Looking" Consoles are made by the same manufacturer (FO); some people use the term "Clones" (or even fakes) but I prefer the term "Badged". Generally, they should all be "compatible" provided that they use the correct radio frequency (which might be 433, 868 or 915 MHz). In Australia you should only encounter 433 MHz (sometimes called 434 as it's actually nearer that) but you would need to be careful if importing (or imported) from another country.

However, I would prefer to say "Identically Looking" (except for any name printed on the plastic case). If your Console has 7 push-buttons below the LCD screen (the middle button unused), then there is a reasonable chance that a replacement with an "Identical" appearance will be compatible, but check the (powered) layout of the screen if possible. It would be a much more "risky" operation if it's a "Touch Screen" Console, with curved sides.

The Console is normally the most expensive part of the overall station, so I have generally recommended NOT to buy a replacement. But if you have sufficient "spares" (and most do still seem to be available) then it might be a worthwhile investment. Fine Offset now appear to have "moved on" and their current products (which may still be partly compatible with their older sensors) are traded (and have a section in this forum) under the brand name "Ecowitt" (and numerous other regional names are used).

Cheers, Alan.
rockyd

Post by rockyd »

Thanks for the replys. I did open it up and have a look, not many components visible, presume all under LCD display, soldering looked fine on the usb connector. As I suspected there is a little more wrong with it, than the connection to the PC, power reset comes back with my temp set to Fahrenheit, fortunately the up button reset gets it back to Celsius. Stops updating after 1 or 2 updates but doesn't do the normal lines display when it loses contact with the sensors, just stays at last reading.
BTW Those that have opened theirs up, I was surprised to see a lens, on the approx top left hand side of the board when looking at it from the back. What is the lens over the chip for?
davepaterson
Weather Station: HP2552 , WH40/WH68+WH57/GW1100C
Operating System: Windows 11/11

Post by davepaterson »

Checkout the Aercus web for Australia :- Australia - www.monaxtestandweather.com.au
My local one in the UK has replacement parts including consoles
rockyd

Post by rockyd »

This looks exactly like it, but no mention of it being WH3081 compatible. Though some of the sensors they have listed mention they are WH3081 compatible.
https://monaxtestandweather.com.au/repl ... or-ws3083/
davepaterson
Weather Station: HP2552 , WH40/WH68+WH57/GW1100C
Operating System: Windows 11/11

Post by davepaterson »

I got the WS3085 this month and before I took down the old WS1093 external sensors I tried the console and it picked up the old one's that were still outside. I also got a replacement WS3083 console as a backup and it came marked as the WS3085 Not sure of the WH3081 but the main changes in the WS3085 apart from the external sensor layout is the addition of solar and UV. The WS1093 is able the read the new sensors apart from the solar and UV, so I think your Wh3081 sensors will be picked up by most Aercus consoles that are USB. Give the dealer a call or email to fully check.