Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

(Note that 4.1.0 (build 4024) - 05 June 2024 remains available, but usage of this version is not recommended - particularly for Davis stations - and the included utility in this distribution for migrating to v4 is known to contain errors affecting conversion of dayfile.txt)

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Problem with windspeed graph

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
DaveNZ
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Re: Problem with windspeed graph

Post by DaveNZ »

beteljuice wrote:I thought you'd changed it so as the Davis provided the average value ?
In which case nothing has changed ?
I like to have cumulus calculate the average so I get a smooth line on my graphs. The Davis station rounds the average unfortunately, so the values are set at 6.4, 8.0, 9.7, 11.3 etc and so the average line jumps up and down. I switch the option off before I shut cumulus at night because of the issue raised in another thread (where windspeed will spike up next time cumulus is started).

Anyway I wouldn't think this should affect how cumulus is reading the data from the Davis DLL...
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

DaveNZ wrote:Calm conditions here between 5 and 6 this morning - cumulus has read the windspeed: "--- 0.0" correctly as 0.0 but has ignored the wind gusts which appear as "--- 0.0" and instead plot the last non-zero value recorded.
Hence the average line successfully hits zero but the gust line doesn't....
This is from the logger again, presumably? Could I have the diags file if so...
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I've just had a look at the code to see if I could see how this might be happening, and I spotted a change which I was sure I had done for the previous build is somehow 'undone'. It's possible that I did the change and somehow forgot to save the file, so it's not clear whether the build 885 binary actually has the change or not. Build 886 definitely does have the change, so see how that goes.
Steve
DaveNZ

Post by DaveNZ »

Here's the diags file - looking through I saw some "wd=-32768" again.
cumulus.004
Cheers Steve, will install new build.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DaveNZ

Post by DaveNZ »

Average and gust both hit 0 for a short time overnight - and the new build of Cumulus I installed reflects this in it's graphs :D
Although I do notice now that the wind direction for these calm periods is plotted at 0° (North) despite this option being unchecked in Cumulus...
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

DaveNZ wrote:Although I do notice now that the wind direction for these calm periods is plotted at 0° (North) despite this option being unchecked in Cumulus...
As you have seen, the station is supplying -32767 for these periods. What value should I use, if not zero? Or would you rather it continued to use the last 'good' direction? I suppose I could do that...
Steve
DaveNZ

Post by DaveNZ »

No it's ok....just before when it was calm (the older cumulus builds) there were just gaps in the graph instead of it going along 0º
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Ah, right. It's because it was ignoring all of the wind data, so those points didn't get plotted at all. It's a bit hard to do that now I'm actually processing the data. I think it would be better (given that I have to plot something) to continue to plot the previous good direction (unless the 'use zero for calm' option is selected). What happened to the direction when it was calm with live data? I guess I ought to try to do the same thing with logger data, even if the DLL/station behaves differently.
Steve
DaveNZ

Post by DaveNZ »

steve wrote:What happened to the direction when it was calm with live data? .
Hmmm, I wish I knew! We usually only get the calm periods overnight, then a light breeze has usually developed within an hour or so after dawn.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I thought a few posts ago you had said that the wind had dropped to zero before you closed down for the night?
Steve
DaveNZ

Post by DaveNZ »

steve wrote:I thought a few posts ago you had said that the wind had dropped to zero before you closed down for the night?
Oh yes, sorry forgot about that! Just had a look through the Dec09 log and it did read as 0.0,0.0,0. So it did give 0º for calm direction while live.