Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Conversion from WeatherDisplay to CumulusMX

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

andersondj
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Windows 7

Conversion from WeatherDisplay to CumulusMX

Post by andersondj »

I am currently running a Davis Vantage Pro/WeatherDisplay/Windows 10 setup and looking to convert it to a Davis Vantage Pro/CumulusMX/Raspberry Pi seutup. I currently have 6 years of WeatherDisplay data which I would like to convert to CumulusMX format. I am aware that there is a Weatherdisplay to Cumulus conversion tool on the download page. If I use this tool to convert the WeatherDisplay daily log files to Cumulus monthly files and then put them into a legacy Cumulus setup to create Cumulus daily files would the resulatant monthly/daily files be in a suitable format for incorporating into the latest CumulusMX relaease? If so would I have to install them into CumulusMX before going live or can they be added after going live. If they were added after going live does CumulusMX have a tool for upadating the various min/max records. Could you also clarify under what circumstances the records should be held in Mysql tables. Any help would be appreciated.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Conversion from WeatherDisplay to CumulusMX

Post by mcrossley »

OK a step at a time...

1. If I use this tool to convert the WeatherDisplay daily log files to Cumulus monthly files and then put them into a legacy Cumulus setup to create Cumulus daily files would the resulatant monthly/daily files be in a suitable format for incorporating into the latest CumulusMX relaease?
A. Yes, so long as you use the same locale (ie date/time formats, and decimal place character).

2. If so would I have to install them into CumulusMX before going live or can they be added after going live.
A. Yes, just copy the contents of the Cumulus 1 /data folder to the corresponding folder in MX.

3. If they were added after going live does CumulusMX have a tool for upadating the various min/max records.
A. Yes, there are records editors, they extract the records from both the monthly logs and the day file so you can compare them. You have to manually copy/paste the required values into the Cumulus records. It's a bit slow and tedious but it does allow you to weed out any bad data rather than blindly accepting the data with an automatic process.

4. Could you also clarify under what circumstances the records should be held in Mysql tables.
A. There is no requirement to use MySQL, Cumulus stores all its data in text files so you can edit them (with Cumulus stopped!) with a text editor, or import into Excel etc. Some people use MySQL for the extra flexibility it gives in deriving your own record types, or tabling/graphing/charting whatever data you want. It is something you can start doing at any time as there are scripts for importing "old" monthly and dayfile data into MySQL - Cumulus only adds new data.

I hope that helps.
andersondj
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Windows 7

Re: Conversion from WeatherDisplay to CumulusMX

Post by andersondj »

Thank you for a speedy and informative reply.

David Anderson
Loughborough, UK