Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Inside temp problem?

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Inside temp problem?

Post by RayProudfoot »

The inside temp graph has been looking like this for several days now. It appears normal except when the room is vacated late evening and the temp starts to drop. But looking closely it seems to be going up and down by small amounts for no obvious reason. It doesn't show this behaviour when the temp is rising.

Anyone got a clue as to why it would start behaving like this? The console was bought in April 2009.
InsideTemp.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: Inside temp problem?

Post by freddie »

Just an observation, but it seems that this problem is coincident timing-wise with your anemometer problem. Perhaps they are linked?
Freddie
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

freddie wrote: Wed 02 Sep 2020 8:07 am Just an observation, but it seems that this problem is coincident timing-wise with your anemometer problem. Perhaps they are linked?
How? One is outside and the console is inside. The console is AC-powered and connected via USB to a netbook. Can't see how they could be connected. Why doesn't the graph show the same behaviour when temp are increasing? Or maybe I'm just cursed! :lol:
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

I've no idea of how - just pointing out the timing similarity. Maybe your console is on the way out.
Freddie
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Or perhaps just the temp sensor starting to fail. The remaining sensors on the console and its display are just fine. Does anyone know if the internal temp sensor can be replaced?
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

looking at a 6h period on highcharts of my indoor temp WeatherLink Live (WLL) is have small ups and downs too.

inside temp.PNG

perhaps others could also check small time frames to see what their indoor temps are doing.

my NanoSD is plugged into the VP2 console in a different location but looks more stable.

inside temp nano.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ConligWX on Wed 02 Sep 2020 9:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir • CumulusMX v4.0.0

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Using the Select-A-Graph feature in Cumulus it started around 01:00 on 30 Aug. The temp is rising by either 0.1 or 0.2°C before dropping again.

I’m not going to lose any sleep over this unless the internal temp stops completely. It’s not a critical element.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

ConligWX wrote: Wed 02 Sep 2020 8:57 am looking at a 6h period on highcharts of my indoor temp (WLL) is have small ups and downs too.

perhaps others could also check small time frames to see what their indoor temps are doing.
Thanks Simon. Pleased to know I’m not alone. How long have you had your console?
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

ConligWX

Post by ConligWX »

RayProudfoot wrote: Wed 02 Sep 2020 9:00 am
ConligWX wrote: Wed 02 Sep 2020 8:57 am looking at a 6h period on highcharts of my indoor temp (WLL) is have small ups and downs too.

Thanks Simon. Pleased to know I’m not alone. How long have you had your console?
I have added two graphs. first is the WeatherLink Live that CumulusMX connects too. the seconds is a NanoSD chart connected to the VP2 Console.

WLL new about a month ago. Console about Aug 2016 I think.
Regards Simon

Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir • CumulusMX v4.0.0

ConligWX

Post by ConligWX »

Mark's inside chart again a WLL

inside temp wilm.PNG

Your not alone. :lol:
Regards Simon

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

It’s reassuring to know I’m not alone and given your console is only 4 years old it seems to be a general issue rather than specific to me. Strange that mine doesn’t display that issue when temps are rising. Maybe if they go up quicker than they drop it doesn’t happen.

It’s only because it’s started happening in the last few days I posted about it. I’ll find something else to worry about now, thanks. :D
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

The indoor temperature sensors do seem to be subject to more noise than the outdoor sensors, and when the rate of change is high that can swamp the noise so it appears smoother. But Ray's graph does appear to have periods where the rate of change is low and so is the noise. No idea what is going on!

The VP2 console just uses a thermistor iirc, but you would think the WLL would be using a digital device(?), it would need someone to open one up to find out.
ConligWX

Post by ConligWX »

mcrossley wrote: Wed 02 Sep 2020 10:40 am The indoor temperature sensors do seem to be subject to more noise than the outdoor sensors, and when the rate of change is high that can swamp the noise so it appears smoother. But Ray's graph does appear to have periods where the rate of change is low and so is the noise. No idea what is going on!

The VP2 console just uses a thermistor iirc, but you would think the WLL would be using a digital device(?), it would need someone to open one up to find out.
Mark there are internal pics of the WLL on the FCC's website. Board though may have been revised since then I guess.

https://fccid.io/IR2DWW6100

https://fccid.io/IR2DWW6100/Internal-Ph ... os-4324950
Regards Simon

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Yesterday around noon my anemometer was repaired. The supercapacitor in the transmitter was also replaced and a new backup battery fitted.

Look at the inside temp graph. The problem has disappeared. Anyone care to offer an explanation? I'm baffled. Clearly linked to the above problem but how?
InsideTemp.jpg
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

ConligWX

Post by ConligWX »

RayProudfoot wrote: Sat 05 Sep 2020 8:20 am Yesterday around noon my anemometer was repaired. The supercapacitor in the transmitter was also replaced and a new backup battery fitted.

Look at the inside temp graph. The problem has disappeared. Anyone care to offer an explanation? I'm baffled. Clearly linked to the above problem but how?

InsideTemp.jpg
Might be worth sending your findings to Davis.
Regards Simon