Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus connects to Fine Offset, but doesn't read past data.

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
Richard_chapman
Weather Station: Easyweather?
Operating System: Windows 10 2004

Cumulus connects to Fine Offset, but doesn't read past data.

Post by Richard_chapman »

I have a "Fine Offset/Easyweather" station, and have tried using Cumulus for the first time (v 3.6.12). Cumulus says it finds the station and is "Downloading archive data". But it appears to be only reading current data. My station has ~3 weeks data stored, but the Cumulus Data Logs page shows just one line. If I restart Cumulus it shows a second line but it doesn't appear to show any of the past data stored in the station. I can see the past data with Easyweather, and I don't clear the memory.

Am I doing something wrong, or just misunderstanding Cumulus functionality? Should I expect Cumulus to download all the past data stored in the station?

Thanks...
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Re: Cumulus connects to Fine Offset, but doesn't read past data.

Post by sfws »

Richard_chapman wrote: Sat 01 Aug 2020 1:54 pm using Cumulus for the first time
On first use of Cumulus, it sets start date to current date, and records only from that time going forward, it does not download any past data before that time/date.

EDIT: water01gave a slightly different answer after me, so I will remove my advice to avoid any danger of confusion
Last edited by sfws on Sat 01 Aug 2020 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

Do this https://cumuluswiki.org/a/FAQ#How_do_I_ ... scratch.3F

In your case you are not setting it to today's date but a date 3-4 weeks ago (your choice). You obviously do this with CumulusMx/Cumulus 1 nor running and then once you have edited the file start up your program of choice and it should pick up older data from the Fine Offset logger.
David
Richard_chapman

Many thanks to both of you. My station is down at our farm, so I can't test your suggestion immediately. I'll get back there in a week or two, hopefully before the station memory fills up...😀

If I understand correctly, I can change the "StartDate=" parameter in Cumulus.ini to an earlier date, and it should download my data.

On a couple of related queries...

Can I use Cumulus to "clear the memory" in my station. I can't see that option in any menus. My station seems to meet its memory "manually cleared" when using Eadyweather.. it doesn't seem to use a circular buffer correctly.

And, I was hoping to import years of Easyweather data into Cumulus... Somehow... Do you have any advice on how to do that, and does it have implications for what I should set my "Start date=" to?

Thanks again...
water01

Post by water01 »

CumulsMX does not have a memory clear function, nor does Cumulus 1. You say the circular memory is not working correctly, are you absolutely sure as that is the normal process of a FO weather station i.e. latest data just overwrites the oldest data. The only way I know of clearing it, but it doesn't always work, is to completely reset the console by removing the batteries and the USB connection and leaving it for about 20 minutes.

As to the Easyweather data there is a user on here called daj who if you PM him has a process for producing the right Cumulus files from the Easyweather data. He did it for me many years ago and it works well, but the only thing I don't know is if he is still willing to do it, and more importantly if he is still a User although the forum software last logged him as active in March of this year. If he is able to do it you will need to set the Start Date to the date of the first data the Easyweather software logged in its files.
David
Richard_chapman

Hi David(?) and "SFWS"

I was back at the farm yesterday and able to try out your suggestions. I tried following the "reset all data" procedure David suggested.

Initially I just connected the Fine Offset and started Cumulus 3.7.0. It said it found the device - and displayed "real time" data from the device but didn't download any of the several weeks of historical data. At least I couldn't see any data except a few "real time" points while it was connected.

Then I deleted everything in .../data/ and edited the "Start Date =" parameter in Cumulus.ini to about 3 months ago. I then restarted Cumulus with the fine offset connected. This time it said it found the fine offset device - but never displayed real time data - nor did it appear to download anything.

A few weeks back "SFWS" (I think) posted something saying that "Start date" was not the main problem and that I needed to reset the Timestamp in Today.ini (From memory) - but his post seems to have disappeared. I tried changing the "Timestamp" in Today.ini to a few months back too - but this didn't seem to change anything.

So I am still stuck, and haven't solved the problem. If either of yo have any other suggestions - or can see anything I have done wrong - please let me know. I'm keen to get Cumulus running and get my (~10 years of) historical data imported so I have a good UI for a lot of data. Easyweather can't handle big data sets.

On an earlier question from David... Mine may be a very early Fine Offset device. I've had it for at least 9 years - possibly more - and I think there is something wrong with the "circular buffer". I downloaded the data first time (some 10 years back) - and didn't clear the memory. When I downloaded next time, after the memory filled up, it had kept all the old data and apparently stopped recording when the memory filled up. The recent data was missing. Maybe I've got that wrong - but I don't think so. I haven't ever let it fill up since then. I'm guessing there's a bug in the early software inside my device. If you are sure the circular buffer should work - I can do another controlled test.

As you may have figured out - I am not on site with the station most of the time - and there is no internet at the Weather Station site. I have to go down and collect the data every 2 months or so to prevent it running out of memory. I have read and implemented the Cumulus notes on installing local copies of the HighStock(?) graphics java scripts. I think that all works OK with no local internet.

Thanks for your help...

Richard.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

On a clean start, you have to create a tody.ini file, and add the entry...
[General]
Timestamp=2020-08-13T23:10:00

Where Timestamp is the date you wish to start. Obviously there will not be 10 years of data in the station logger though.

The FO logger memory is circular, once full it just wraps around and overwrites the oldest value.
Richard_chapman

Thanks Mark...

Are those the only 2 lines I need in Today.ini, or do I make a copy of the old one and change the timestamp line?

I realise my 10 years data isn't in the logger, but it is in a bunch of Easyweather.dat files. Importing them will be a secondary problem once Cumulus becomes my primary downloading software. I've read some references to importing old Easyweather.dat files in this forum, but I think it isn't trivial... Not sure whether I can use an editor to convert the Easyweather.dats into Cumulus log files.... Somehow...

My logger manual says it uses a circular buffer, but when I tried it ages ago it didn't seem to work as described. I'll do another test when it next fills up...
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Richard_chapman wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 3:52 am Thanks Mark...

Are those the only 2 lines I need in Today.ini, or do I make a copy of the old one and change the timestamp line?
https://cumuluswiki.org/a/FAQ#I.E2.80.9 ... er_station

;)
PaulS
Weather Station: ClimeMet CM 2000
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by PaulS »

Could someone explain what it means when Cumulus says it is "Downloading archive data"? Thanks
water01

Post by water01 »

This means that Cumulus is downloading data from your weatherstation logger from the last date it connected to your weatherstation to the last logged data i.e.to date.
David
Simbor
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: raspy 3B+

Post by Simbor »

Goodmorning everyone.
I link back to this post, considering that my current problem is very similar.
I have CumulusMX running on a Pi3 for about 1.5 years. For over 10 years, the old Cumulus ran on an old PC that was always on.
Those who use FineOffset know that from time to time the Data are no longer processed. Then the console must be restarted.
For a few days, unlike how CumulusMX has always behaved at restart, I no longer load the old Data, restarting with the graphs from the moment it was restarted.
see http://www.sbonweb.it/meteo/trends.htm
The long-term graphs keeps them (daily rainfall - sunshine hours), while it does not load the data of the last 48h.
I don't understand what could have happened.
Thanks to anyone who can help me.

PS:
Looking on the local dashboard, I notice that the daily Data (/dayfileviewer.html) are immediately visible when the page is opened, while the Data of the last 48H (/datalogs.html) to see them I have to load them by clicking the LOAD button. Maybe this is normal behavior of that menu, even if I had never noticed it (I don't use the DalaLogs Menu much).
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Switch on debug logging then post your log file please.
Simbor
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: raspy 3B+

Post by Simbor »

Thanks for your help.
The images and logs below are BEFORE and AFTER the restart, just performed for testing.

BEFORE:
Screenshot at Oct 27 18-58-08.png
20201025-073021.txt

AFTER restart:

Screenshot at Oct 27 19-02-37.png
20201027-190150.txt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Hi,
Your log has:

Code: Select all

2020-10-27 19:01:52.873 Loading last N hour data from data logs: 27/10/2020 18:50:00
2020-10-27 19:01:53.087 Error at line 1849 of data/ott20log.txt : Input string was not in the correct format
2020-10-27 19:01:53.088 Please edit the file to correct the error
2020-10-27 19:01:53.088 Loaded 0 entries to last hour data list
2020-10-27 19:01:53.302 Error at line 1849 of data/ott20log.txt : Input string was not in the correct format
2020-10-27 19:01:53.302 Please edit the file to correct the error
2020-10-27 19:01:53.302 Loaded 0 entries to last 3 hour data list
2020-10-27 19:01:53.517 Error at line 1849 of data/ott20log.txt : Input string was not in the correct format
2020-10-27 19:01:53.517 Please edit the file to correct the error
2020-10-27 19:01:53.517 Loaded 0 entries to graph data list
2020-10-27 19:01:53.732 Error at line 1849 of data/ott20log.txt : Input string was not in the correct format
2020-10-27 19:01:53.732 Please edit the file to correct the error
2020-10-27 19:01:53.732 Loaded 0 entries to recent data list
2020-10-27 19:01:54.450 Loaded 62 entries to daily data list
2020-10-27 19:01:54.462 Current culture: Italian (Italy)
which shows an error in log file line 1849. Possibly by correcting this line the issue will go away.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm