Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Humidex - Discuss!

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Humidex - Discuss!

Post by mcrossley »

sfws wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 3:05 pm
mcrossley wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 11:28 am add more options to the Cumulus.ini file
Actually this would be using options previously in the file; you have forgotten that in Cumulus 1 settings both determined which graphs were uploaded as images for its trends.htm, and also what was plotted on the charts (like temperature) that had multiple lines. If you look at https://cumuluswiki.org/a/Cumulus.ini#Section:_Graphs you will see that C1 let you decide not to plot the Heat index (HIVisible=0 ) that I have been suggesting is not useful.
Good idea, I'll implement the "xxxVisible" (and add some missing ones).
For now they will be probably be ini file read-only settings - no user interface configuration.
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Post by HansR »

I assume that, when false, it means the data will not be included in the JSON file?
But when true, the order of the data in the file is always the same (as it is now)?
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

HansR wrote: Wed 22 Jul 2020 2:15 pm I assume that, when false, it means the data will not be included in the JSON file?
But when true, the order of the data in the file is always the same (as it is now)?
Correct, setting to false (=0) would exclude the the data from the JSON.

The JSON order will be changing as well, just because it makes the chart code much simpler. But item order in JSON should not normally matter, that is how JSON works - the normal rule for APIs is not to assume anything about JSON data order, use the names.
HansR

Post by HansR »

Well, I think it does matter to me. I'll look into it. Check the current graph procedure!
At least it has to be predictable ;)

Could you specify how this will work?
If I see an issue I'll start another thread.
Hans

sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

mcrossley wrote: Wed 22 Jul 2020 2:07 pm Good idea, I'll implement the "xxxVisible" (and add some missing ones).
For now they will be probably be ini file read-only settings - no user interface configuration.
Glad you saw my post, given the muddling discussion of my answer to your question by another contributor.

I can't speak for all users, but read-only implementation should be fine, these are settings that are only likely to be considered and set once.

Is the default going to be all enabled, or are you making a guess at which lines people will want/not want for setting defaults?
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

sfws wrote: Wed 22 Jul 2020 3:57 pm I can't speak for all users, but read-only implementation should be fine, these are settings that are only likely to be considered and set once.

Is the default going to be all enabled, or are you making a guess at which lines people will want/not want for setting defaults?
Leaving ini file only is fine by me too :)

The default will be enabled for all values.
HansR wrote: Wed 22 Jul 2020 3:38 pm Well, I think it does matter to me. I'll look into it. Check the current graph procedure!
At least it has to be predictable ;)

Could you specify how this will work?
If I see an issue I'll start another thread.
I took my own advice and made the chart code work with whatever order the JSON is supplied in, so I can leave the current order. And actually the code turned out a lot cleaner when I had to think about it!
HansR

Post by HansR »

mcrossley wrote: Wed 22 Jul 2020 4:52 pm I took my own advice and made the chart code work with whatever order the JSON is supplied in, so I can leave the current order. And actually the code turned out a lot cleaner when I had to think about it!
OK, I think I get it and how to handle it in my case.
Does this mean that the inside yes/no will also be handled by CMX and thus will not be in the datafile?
Hans

sfws

Post by sfws »

freddie wrote: Sat 18 Jul 2020 5:53 pm IThe UK Met Office doesn't "do" humidex, and that speaks volumes to me. It is of limited use in the UK climate, so I guess that is not entirely surprising.
Today is very muggy, at least here (it is fairly cloudy here this afternoon), but I think it is a perfect day to illustrate that the Canadian Humidity Index is useful in UK Climate.

The dew point (and absolute humidity - currently 13.21 g m-3, which is also today's highest) are a good indication of how uncomfortable it feels and I'm glad I am reporting them.

But I believe Humidex= 35.3 is giving me a much better reflection of the Muggy nature of today than the 31.0 oC from Feels Like or the 31.5 oC from outside temperature.
Those were values showing as I type (I am not promising my Fine Offset is giving perfect Celsius air temperature)
The maximum so far today for Humidex is 36.4, of Feels like is 33.3 oC and of outside temperature 33.2 oC, all of these peaked in last hour.

To requote Freddie: That current and peak Humidex speaks volumes to me!
BCJKiwi
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Cabled
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Post by BCJKiwi »

An interesting set of graphs clearly showing the different "temperatures".
Temperature.PNG
Wind.PNG
Pressure.PNG
Humidity.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sfws

Post by sfws »

BCJKiwi wrote: Fri 31 Jul 2020 10:46 pm An interesting set of graphs clearly showing the different "temperatures".
Yes!
Makes my numbers look dull, but my charts don't show such clear separation, too much crossing over. I will only include the main one:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BCJKiwi
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Cabled
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Post by BCJKiwi »

I only posted that graph set as it was unusual, they normally have all sorts of overlaid/crossover traces.
We are currently in a quite stable weather pattern.