Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Not downloading archive

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Not downloading archive

Post by PaulMy »

I have installed 2 instances of latest CumulusMX.
One install is C:\CumulusMX and this starts fine, including archive downloading, and runs most of the time.
A second totally separate install C:\CumulusMXutils usually started once a day to run for a short while. At a restart after the day before stop there is no archive download. After a daily start and see that there was no archive download I stop this CumulusMXutils, copy in the log files from the good CumulusMX and then restart CumulusMXutils and then all works fine, until the next day new start.
The Cumulus.ini files are very similar for both installs.

Attached are both MXdiags files for CumulusMXutils.
The first is for the restart after yesterday's stop and therefore includes day end tasks like dayfile, etc, BUT NO archive download.
The second is a restart after the log files were added so no day end tasks and no archive download expected as the log files and last run times are current.

The Loop2 message often shows at a start in both installs but not always. The connection for both these installs is WiFi - Davis Vue with firmware v4.30 and WiFiLogger V2.
MXDiags in the first start instance without archive download has:
2020-06-28 08:51:38.975 Connected OK
2020-06-28 08:51:38.978 Reading firmware version
2020-06-28 08:51:42.481 Reading firmware version
2020-06-28 08:51:45.982 FW version = ???
2020-06-28 08:51:45.982 LOOP2 is enabled in Cumulus.ini but this firmare version does not support it. Consider disabling it in Cumulus.ini
and the MXDiags for the second has:
2020-06-28 09:03:44.531 Connected OK
2020-06-28 09:03:44.534 Reading firmware version
2020-06-28 09:03:46.538 FW version = 4.30
There are also other issues such as Console clock: Failed to read console time in the first instance MXdiags.

Any thoughts what could cause the failure of archive download?

Thanks,
Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Not downloading archive

Post by mcrossley »

Are both copies of MX running at the same time, and talking to the same WiFi logger?
PaulMy

Post by PaulMy »

First instance is fully stopped, and then the second started so only one at a time. Yes both talking to the same WiFiLogger/Vue console, but not at the same time.

And an update;
I just about always have C:\CumulusMX run through the midnight rollover therefore C:\CumulusMXutils is stopped during that time, and then at a later time start of C:\CumulusMXutils there is no archive download. Therefore I thought it was the C:\CumulusMXutils install, but this seems to be wrong.
Last night I let C:\CumulusMXutils run past the midnight rollover and then started C:\CumulusMX a short while after midnight. This time C:\CumulusMX install failed to download archive. So seems nothing to do specific with the C:\CumulusMXutils install as I have now seen it on both, and I keep CumulusMX versions current for both these installs.

I have attached both C:\CumulusMX MXdiags.
20200629-001958 is the start which failed to download archive and then stopped.
20200629-002454 is the restart (after copying-in the log files from the previously stopped C:\CumulusMXutils)

The first one has the console version number missing and therefore the Loop2 message. It also shows 2020-06-29 00:20:11.140 Last update time = 28/06/20 8:50:00 AM which is when it had been stopped the day before.
The second one shows the console version therefore no Loop2 message and all seems fine.

Something to do with not being able to read the console version? and possibly due to the periodic disconnect to the IP WiFiLogger?
The WiFiLogger settings has-
TCP Port: Pause with discon (Allows 3rd party software Weatherlink/Cumulus connect to the console)

Or that I have WiFiLogger settings at 15 minute interval as that is what is needed for uploading to the Globe network, and have CumulusMX at 5 minute interval?

In the past when running only one instance of CumulusMX i had often seen the Loop2 message at CumulusMX start, but not all the time, and just ignored it. I also had periodically noticed some missing data in monthly log files and then fixed that by copying in the file from my still working Cumulus1 which has its own Davis Envoy and USB logger.

Thanks,
Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Davis Vantage Pro2+

mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Hi Paul,

I'd like to see some logs run with -debug please.

One thought, do you shut down one instance of MX, then immediately start the next?

I'm wondering if the WiFi logger still thinks it has the network connection open to the first instance and that is messing things up. By the time you have copied the logs in that session has timed out and away it goes again?
PaulMy

Post by PaulMy »

Thanks Mark,
I have tried about 10 start and stops, some with just a few seconds in between. Since the interval since stop and start is short no archive data is downloaded, but one start of C:\CumulusMXutils did have the archive data downloaded since it was several hours since last stop. Only once did I get the Loop2 message but unfortunately the Debug log is disabled at shut down so nothing at a restart. What is the correct wording to add in the Cumulus.ini for Debug and Data logging? I've tried a few but nothing working yet.

Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+

water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

Just set them in the admin interface Settings / Station Settings / Options (towards the bottom of the list that opens).
David
PaulMy

Post by PaulMy »

Hi David,
Unfortunately after I enable Debug and Data logging in station settings, and Save which is confirmed by CumulusMX, then a shutdown and there is nothing about Debug and Data logging in the Cumulus.ini. Then a restart and the settings are back as not enabled.

I though by entering it in the Cumulus.ini and a start would then give the information Mark has asked about, but I need the correct wording for the Cumulus.ini.

Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+

HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Post by HansR »

Paul, enter this in the inifile ([Station] section) and don't remove those, these set CumulusMX debug as wanted. Set them to 0 / 1 as required.

Code: Select all

Logging=0
DataLogging=0
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

Text removed, as it was ignored!
Last edited by sfws on Wed 01 Jul 2020 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulMy

Post by PaulMy »

Thanks for the logging string suggestion. I've added it to Cumulus.ini and after some restarts it seems to be logging.

Attached is MXdiags-
Start at 20200630 13:32:01 and this showed the Loop2 message. And it appeared that it did not do the archive download so I stopped it at 13:32:44. Then copied-in the data logs from a previous older backup.

New start at 20200630 13:36:37 and this also showed the Loop2 message but the archives were downloaded, and appears to be running fine.

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+

mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Hi Paul, nothing much to see really other than what I thought, the WiFi logger does not respond after establishing the connection. It took it nearly 20 seconds after establishing the connection before it responded to the first command. Even on the successful run it still does not respond for nearly 20 seconds, by which time the initial commands MX sends have all timed out, which means no firmware version, which in turn leads to the Loop2 warning.

Once it does start working, the log is littered with periods when it stops responding again.

Is you WiFi logger particularly busy doing other uploads etc?

I have already put extra code into MX to try and cope with these devices being unresponsive, but there is a limit. These issues are not seen with the official Davis IP logger - but that device only does one thing at once. The WiFi logger is capable of being configured to do many things, but I'm dubious it can do too many concurrently and reliably.
PaulMy

Post by PaulMy »

Thanks for looking Mark.
I need to take Hans suggestion to incorporate the 2 templates from one upload source... then no need to stop and start CumulusMX.

Yes I have WiFiLogger uploading to several other sites and its own realtime and json files FTP as well, so it is quite busy and likely can't get it all done within the disconnect period. The changes you've made in CumulusMX over the past 18 months to accommodate the multi purpose WiFiLogger has been great as no more crashes, and In its normal running CumulusMX does very well with sharing the WiFiLogger.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+