Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Station connection

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

biker57
Weather Station: WS-2902
Operating System: Windows 10

Station connection

Post by biker57 »

As a newer station owner I apologize if this answer is in the forum somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it. I've been trying to soak in all I can by reading through the forum installation info and I've seen something that seems like it should be obvious and I'm missing it.

The instructions say to make sure your station is connected to the device the Cumulus is installed on, but since my station (WS2902) is wireless I'm not sure how to make that happen.
ExperiMentor
Weather Station: Fine Offset & Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10; Raspbian Buster

Re: Station connection

Post by ExperiMentor »

Cumulus MX can connect to some wireless stations, by entering the station's IP address in Cumulus settings.

Someone else can answer for sure, but I don't think the WS2902 is on the list, as connection is only possible if the station's manaufacturer has has built in an interface that allows interrogation from elsewhere in the local network. Many stations that look like this one don't have that ability.

But all is not lost - the solution is to buy an Ecowitt GW1000, which is an interface that picks up your external sensors like the display unit and can be accessed from Cumulus MX. The same device is sold as Froggit DS1500 in Europe. You need to make sure to buy one with the same frequency as your outdoor sensors. You don't reveal which country you are in - that generally dictates the frequency
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

ExperiMentor wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 10:10 pm Cumulus MX can connect to some wireless stations, by entering the station's IP address in Cumulus settings.
The only weather stations that allow this are Davis Stations with a WiFi logger and the the Ecowitt GW1000, no other station using WiFi uses this interface.
David
biker57

Post by biker57 »

Thanks for the info....I'll take a look at the GW1000
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

ExperiMentor wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 10:10 pm The same device is sold as Froggit DS1500 in Europe
According to similar discussion on viewtopic.php?f=40&t=18258 the Froggit model number is DP1500.
(This is equivalent to Ecowitt GW1000).

It appears from a discussion on https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?board=111.0 that several model identifiers have changed their second letter (presumably because something has been changed?)
biker57

Post by biker57 »

ExperiMentor wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 10:10 pm
But all is not lost - the solution is to buy an Ecowitt GW1000, which is an interface that picks up your external sensors like the display unit and can be accessed from Cumulus MX. The same device is sold as Froggit DS1500 in Europe. You need to make sure to buy one with the same frequency as your outdoor sensors. You don't reveal which country you are in - that generally dictates the frequency
I checked on Amazon and there was a question about using the GW1000 with the 2902 station and the answer from Ecowitt said that it would only work work with their sensors. So unless someone has been about to make this work I guess Cumulus won't be for me.
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

WS2902 is an Ambient branded Fine Offset station. Ecowitt is the Fine Offset consumer division and their model branding is a bit different than Ambient sells and Ambient has some different firmware. GW1000 works with your station, just need the correct Hz version.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Cross posted with Paul...

The Froggit DP1500 is the equivalent the Ecowitt GW1000. Just make sure you get the correct frequency model.

As far as I know the Froggit sensors will work with either the D1500 or the GW1000, it is only the Ambient branded stuff that is incompatible.

Ecowitt will have an official line to say they only support their own sensors to avoid treading on the toes of their smaller rebrand suppliers such as Froggit, Misol, Pantech...etc.