Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Davis anemometer transmitter problems

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Re: Davis anemometer transmitter problems

Post by sfws »

freddie wrote: Fri 03 Apr 2020 7:01 am I had some large gusts recorded on Sunday
10.8 mph was my highest gust that day!
prodata
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Windows - all flavours

Post by prodata »

freddie wrote: Fri 03 Apr 2020 7:01 am Do these fake large gusts point to supercap failure as well?
No, it's not a common or specific symptom of supercap or board failure, but simply falls into the more general (and unhelpful) category of odd readings. It's impossible to say for sure but this one does sound to me a little more like a failure of some other board component (or eg a dry joint or microcrack in one of the traces on the board) than the supercap itself, especially since the supercap leads look clean. In theory you could try a very careful inspection of the board in bright light with a magnifying glass but it's rarely a productive exercise I'm afraid.

One other thing you could try is to disconnect the T/H sensor. Occasionally when this sensor starts to fail it can cause odd symptoms elsewhere - most commonly failure of packet transmission, but sometimes other effects too.

Sorry, not very helpful I know.
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
Littleport, East Cambs, UK
http://www.weatherstations.co.uk
Hobbyist
Weather Station: Instromet Mk 3
Operating System: Raspberry Pi Zero & CumulusMX

Post by Hobbyist »

Freddie I think you said that the transmitter in use was solely for Windspeed/direction.

With what has been said so far it could be a supercapacitor on its way out. With a few more electronic bits and pieces the solar panel, battery and supecap will all be in a parallel configuration. The electronics will stop back feeding etc. If the circuit board is the problem then you have no real choice but to buy a spare unit. Soldering surface mount components is not for the faint hearted!

If the supercap is the problem, which it could be, then I would try a 'simple test' to prove it.

Using a pair of very fine nose wire cutters I would cut one of the capacitor leads midway between the board and the capacitor. This could allow you to re-solder it later if the capacitor is ok. Take care not to bend the leads to the capacitor they dont like it!

With one lead disconnected on the capacitor see if a battery/solar panel gives any duration at all.
If not then it could be the solar panel (very unlikely) but that could be tested by disconnecting the cct board to solar panel plug and running purely on battery.

Modern electronics are very sensitive to power supply stability, if your supercap is going faulty and put varying loads on the battery/solar panel, these fluctuations could give eroneous readings.

Anyway good luck

Dave
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

Thanks for all the responses on this thread - most helpful.

My setup started behaving itself again around the time of my last message, and is continuing to do so now at 10 days on. So I'm going to cross my fingers for the moment :-)
Freddie
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

Glad to hear that Freddie. I dread anemometer problems but especially now as my trusty mate who goes onto my roof wouldn’t be available. Fingers crossed it remains stable.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

I've changed my roof setup so that it is all on a single 2" pole. Transmitter clamped to the bottom, anemo & solar to top. The cables run down the inside of the pole. I now have two sliding clamps on the P-K brackets. Which means I now just have to get up as far as the brackets, release those and the pole slides down. When I'm done, slide it back up again, clamp it off and it retains its vertical alignment.
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

Mark, if I recall your house has a gable end making your arrangement easier. I have a three-sided roof and access is easiest from the flat garage roof on one side. The solar panels have to be negotiated but if my mate sticks to the ridge tile area that's not a problem.

I did think about having something similar to yours with two large clamps on the side of the house but the length of the pole would make it very cumbersome. The existing pole is around 2" or less and the bracket it's attached to is solid having been there for over 40 years!

I used to get up there 30 years ago and admire the view when adjusting the TV aerial. How times change! :D
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

freddie

Post by freddie »

I'm waking this topic up again as I have a refinement to the description of the problem.

After my earlier problems I took down my anemo and packed it away ready for an upcoming house move.

It is now installed in the new location, and I noticed that the direction is being sent to the console and it is varying with the position of the vane. The speed is still registering as zero (the cups are spinning around).

Any pointers as to what could be wrong>
Freddie
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Is it old model with a reed switch, or the newer one with a hall effect module? (Generally if it has a brass pointer it is the new model - don't know if that is always true?)

Could only be a few things really...

Bust reed switch/hall effect module - the reed switch is far more likely to fail.

A break in the cable.

Dodgy plug on the end of the cable.

Bent pin in the ISS socket.

Corroded contacts on the plug/socket - they should be gold plated, but can still fail. Davis normally pack a reasonable amount of silicone grease in the socket to protect against this. The grease could also get contaminated with debris and prevent a good contact.

Faulty ISS.

I'm pecking on my phone, so more detail will have to wait...
prodata
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Windows - all flavours

Post by prodata »

Think Mark has covered all of the obvious points, but for the record here's the relevant topic on our knowledgebase:

https://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davi ... ind-issues
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
Littleport, East Cambs, UK
http://www.weatherstations.co.uk
freddie

Post by freddie »

Thanks Mark and John. I will start off with the cheapest option (cleaning the plug/socket) once I get a bit of spare time :D
I will let you know how it goes
Freddie
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

Hi Freddie,

Just curious as to what all that is around each socket? Dielectric grease or something like that?

Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •

freddie

Post by freddie »

ConligWX wrote: Mon 22 Jun 2020 10:42 amJust curious as to what all that is around each socket?
Hi Simon,

Whatever it is, it was there 9 years ago when I purchased the unit. I have only had the cover of the unit open about 5 times in that timespan - most of those were in the past couple of months.
Freddie
freddie

Post by freddie »

freddie wrote: Mon 22 Jun 2020 9:04 am Thanks Mark and John. I will start off with the cheapest option (cleaning the plug/socket) once I get a bit of spare time :D
I will let you know how it goes
Okay, so the plug and socket have been cleaned (they were clean and corrosion-free anyway) and there has been no change. Reading John's troubleshooting guide and comparing with the symptoms, it does appear that either there is a cable fault or the reed switch is faulty. Either way I think I need to visit the Prodata shop and purchase a new anemo.
Freddie
freddie

Post by freddie »

Revisiting this: I ordered a new anemometer from Prodata during July and it was installed on the morning of the 30th. It has been working just fine since then.
Freddie