Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

New release

Discussion of the Cumulusutils tool and website generator.

Moderator: HansR

HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Re: New release

Post by HansR »

sutne wrote: Sun 24 May 2020 9:10 am Comments on 3.6.7:
Beaufort: I think it could be nice to have the Beaufort description (Calm, Gale etc). Then the font has to be smaller.
And I do not think Beaufort is valid for the latest measured, it has to be the average the last 10 minutes.

pwsFWI: the new text in the heading disappears in a small window (ex portrait mode on iPad)
It should be possible to change the text. Do you think normal users who is not active on this forum knows what pwsFWI means?
In the pwsFWI the wind is always km/h, should be the same as the setting.
Thanks for the comments:
  1. The space is too small for beaufort description. Calm may work but in Dutch and probably other languages other windforces will have longer descriptions. So I don't think this will make it.
  2. The disappearance of the pwsFWI is the consequence of the menu toggle: if the screen gets too small, the menu disappears behind the button. And before you ask: the LED does not because it is not a menu item. This is the way responsiveness works in Boostrap.
  3. No, maybe not. But the menu is not the place to learn. pwsFWI is more or less the origin and the basis of CumulusUtils so people will know easily, Google search is clear. But if a user does not know and searches the wrong way, he can click out of curiosity which leads to the report. I will make a clear title there - which I agree is missing - with a link (which is already below the pwsFWI report). I guess that should do the trick.
  4. I will clarify this in the Manual. The answer is, that the equations used for pwsFWI (to which I point below the table) are in the units shown, so the pwsFWI value is only valid in those units, therefore, no matter what units the user uses, his values are converted to these units and this table will always show those converted units. Just like the csv file which is generated and which the user can find in the utils directory at the cumulus machine, always has those converted units. It's just something to know.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
HansR

Post by HansR »

sutne wrote: Sun 24 May 2020 9:10 am And I do not think Beaufort is valid for the latest measured, it has to be the average the last 10 minutes.
I forgot to reply to this one.

I guess this is something you may have a point on but:
  1. I can't find a reference to the time period in which a wind speed must be measured for the definition of the Beaufort scale. Maybe others do.
  2. As the Beaufort number is given in the realtime.txt by CumulusMX and corresponds with the latest wind, I assume this point has been raised before. Anybody?
So, for the time being, unless there are strong reasons to start calculating it myself, I leave it with the values as supplied by Cumulus.
And as such, the value represents the Beaufort value of the last wind measured (and displayed).
Hans

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Cumulus normally calculates the Beaufort force on the average wind speed (as defined by UK met office). I'll check that it is doing that for the realtime file - it should be using the average, and is wrong if it isn't.
sutne
Weather Station: HP2553 (WS80) and HP2564 (WS90)
Operating System: Raspbian Bullseye and Bookworm

Post by sutne »

I can't find a reference to the time period in which a wind speed must be measured for the definition of the Beaufort scale. Maybe others do.
I have norwegian texts that states this very clearly. But also on this site:

https://cumuluswiki.org/a/Wind_measurement

it is mentioned when discussing Beaufort:
Note that the scale applies to sustained (average) wind speeds.
So one should assume that the number given from CumulusMX is 10-min average wind.
(But I do not think it is.)
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

sutne wrote: Sun 24 May 2020 1:04 pm So one should assume that the number given from CumulusMX is 10-min average wind.
(But I do not think it is.)
The web tag is correct I'm pretty sure - my latest was 13 mph, average 6.6 mph, and Force =2

The question is just around realtime.txt
sutne

Post by sutne »

The space is too small for beaufort description.
If the Beaufort description is placed underneath the Average wind (where it belongs) and uses same font, I think it can fit in.
The longest Norwegian text is 12 characters: ‘Liten kuling’
sutne

Post by sutne »

The web tag is correct I'm pretty sure - my latest was 13 mph, average 6.6 mph, and Force =2
Yes, after closely studying it for some time (last was within average for a long time), you are right. When last differ from the average range, BF shows average.
HansR

Post by HansR »

mcrossley wrote: Sun 24 May 2020 1:15 pm The question is just around realtime.txt
Indeed. I'll wait for the verdict. And of course I'll adjust the display if Beaufort number is on the average, meaning it will go below the average number (or at the side).
The main figure remains the latest measurement.

Apart from the discussion where the Beaufort number belongs to, one can definitely give the Beaufort number to the latest measurement: both are indications of speed and as the main indicator is the latest measurement why would I be obliged to give the Beaufort to the average? Isn't that similar to the claim that the only number that should be displayed must be the average wind speed?
sutne wrote: Sun 24 May 2020 1:34 pm If the Beaufort description is placed underneath the Average wind (where it belongs) and uses same font, I think it can fit in.
The longest Norwegian text is 12 characters: ‘Liten kuling’
Sorry, Norwegian is not the only language. I most likely will not put the text in.
Hans

HansR

Post by HansR »

sutne wrote: Sun 24 May 2020 1:45 pm
Yes, after closely studying it for some time (last was within average for a long time), you are right. When last differ from the average range, BF shows average.
Just to make things clear: I don't use webtags.
Hans

sutne

Post by sutne »

both are indications of speed and as the main indicator is the latest measurement why would I be obliged to give the Beaufort to the average? I
If you are referring to the Beaufort scale, it must be according to the definition for Beaufort scale.
HansR

Post by HansR »

yesyes... just waiting for Marks answer.
Hans

freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

HansR wrote: Sun 24 May 2020 3:17 pmone can definitely give the Beaufort number to the latest measurement: both are indications of speed and as the main indicator is the latest measurement why would I be obliged to give the Beaufort to the average?
The wind speeds used on the modern day Beaufort scale are mean speeds - see https://www.rmets.org/resource/beaufort-scale for the specific statement of the usage of mean speed (and see the note about gust speeds - which are instantaneous/latest speeds). Note that the common definition of mean speed in the meteorological world is the 10 minute mean.
Freddie
HansR

Post by HansR »

Yes. OK, Mark... is the realtime Bf on the average or ...
Hans

mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Realtime.txt Beaufort is correctly derived from the average speed.
HansR

Post by HansR »

thnx
Hans