Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Installation

Discussion of the Cumulusutils tool and website generator.

Moderator: HansR

billy
Weather Station: WLL / Davis VP2+
Operating System: RPi bullseye

Installation

Post by billy »

I have hit brick wall trying to install - seems to be related to maps (see .log and .ini in zip). Upload to website works but no index.html or files in lib and css. Some issues along the way that may or may not be relevant:
1. Using "First time" for the website generator was (almost) a complete failure - produced a 3 line .ini file.
2. So used the "All" parameter initially to get started - this produced an .ini file with more sections and after filling in some detail in the [FTP site] section, txt files uploaded to website (but no index.html or files in css and lib folders).
3. Had to manually insert [Maps] and [Website] sections into .ini. Particularly unsure if the format of the Website key in [Maps] is appropriate.

Really happy to provide more detail and/or be told "you idiot, you haven't done ....."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Re: Installation

Post by HansR »

Hi Billy,

Well, at least thanks for trying ;)

You got it right that the problem is shown Maps. You don't get beyond that because CmulusUtils fails there (correctly). It says:

Code: Select all

2020-05-23 11:46:46.400  DownloadXml: DownloadFile Exception: Error: SecureChannelFailure (The authentication or decryption has failed.)
2020-05-23 11:46:46.401 Exception Unknown : Error: SecureChannelFailure (The authentication or decryption has failed.)
And that is weird because :
  1. It concerns the download of the XML file with the stations info, which it does through straight vanilla HTML fetch as a webclient.
  2. It complains about a Secure Channel failure.
But this is just an open HTML fetch through a normal Webclient, no special configurations takes place, so I don't get it unless you have some strange configuration which I do not anticipate.

In the cumulusutils.ini, you give as a website : https://tillyspaws.com/cumulusutils/pwsFWI.txt. That is not a webpage but I can see the txt file. But https://tillyspaws.com/ nor https://tillyspaws.com/cumulusutils can be seen by me, the last one gives a 403 forbidden error.

So I estimate there is some configuration error on your side which makes it impossible to fetch stationswithutils.xml.
If you are ready to restart the exercise, I would advice to remove everything and restart completely from scratch.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
billy

Post by billy »

Many thanks for taking an interest. I've restarted several times, so maybe you could advise me exactly where to restart.

Other than downloading the distribution, copying to my mx directory on the rpi, and creating a folder on the website, I don't think I did much - other than read the readme (several times now!). Of course my first run couldn't know about the web site.

As I mentioned I ran as instructed on page 10 of the readme (also tried "sudo mono ./cumulusutils.exe Website" but that didn't seem to make a difference) . The results of that very first method are in the attached zip - not very promising but maybe it means more to you. That's when I tried the "All" parameter and at least got a better .ini (although not complete) and after tweaking a key or two got the upload of many of the files to the web directory.

There aren't any html or php files in https://tillyspaws.com/ or https://tillyspaws.com/cumulusutils. I was really hoping to see index.html in the latter ;)

I notice stationswithutils.xml is not in the distribution so is it trying to download it from elsewhere? If so, maybe I could try that independently of the program as a way of testing my rpi? I fetch files from the BOM site for my forecasts so I know that works.

As for my setup, it is pretty plain afaik but clearly something is not right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HansR

Post by HansR »

Hi Billy,

Unfortunately there is not much I can add to my previous post because the information you give now is essentially the same: if you run CumulusUtils in the CumulusMX directory, it tries to download the XML file to that directory. That is something you have to solve before we can even start thinking about a next step. That is beyond CumulusUtils as far as I can see at the moment and I have completely no knowledge about your system. You can probably run all modules individually, but if you can't download the XML file from the application you can't do the Map nor can you do the Website.

It has nothing to do with which commands to use or success or failure of CumulusUtils. Apparently you start it in the Cumulus Directory (because it starts correctly) but there is some setting on that system which prevents the download. It can be your router, your firewall or whatever. I can't tell from here.

You can try to download it as a webpage - info in the README: MAPS, additional info - but that probably won't help you. It is not the existence itself which is required, it is the download. So the whole system needs to allow the download of that file. Then we can look further. CumulusUtils is essentially based on a working internet connection, for the upload of the site and individual modules as well as the upload of the Cumulus data such as the graphs and the realtime files. So the connection to the outside must be good.

Can you give more info on the system you are running and how is that connected to the internet?

NOTE: I catch a normal timeout and continue but this is an unexpected and unknown error on which I decide to crash and stop.
Hans

billy

Post by billy »

OK. I'm a bit of novice so not sure why this fetch won't work. I think I will fire up another rpi and see if I can get it to work on that one. Can't do that until tomorrow. will let you know how I get on. I anyone else has some ideas, I am here to receive them!
billy

Post by billy »

OK. I'm a bit of novice so not sure why this fetch won't work. I think I will fire up another rpi and see if I can get it to work on that one. Can't do that until tomorrow. will let you know how I get on. I anyone else has some ideas, I am here to receive them!
billy

Post by billy »

The xml upload problem was mono not having the appropriate SSL certificate(s) - probably due to the age of the version I was running (V4.6). Did an upgrade to the latest (V6.8) and the problem disappeared.

It needs a little tidying up but it's working here https://tillyspaws.com/cumulusutils/index.html. Now, according to the map, the inclination for Australia to roll clockwise and head back to Gondwana due to the weight of cumulusutils installations in the south-east has been slowed - a little ;)

Many thanks for your help getting me over the line - and of course the website :D
HansR

Post by HansR »

OK, sounds logical. Not exactly a solution by what I would call a novice :lol: , but well done :clap:

Looks great, and I had to decipher your riddle a little
the inclination for Australia to roll clockwise and head back to Gondwana due to the weight of cumulusutils installations in the south-east has been slowed - a little ;)
but I think I get it :lol:

Thanks for installing!
Australia is indeed becoming an important focal point for CumulusUtils :D

[Edit:] You're working late btw ;)
Hans

billy

Post by billy »

Now tidying up some of the menu items that didn't immediately work. One that I can't figure out is the windrose. The data upload and seem ok (to me ;) ) but I get a LOT of errors in the web browser's console when I ask for a windrose (which never appears). They seem to be js related.

A minor issue: I always get an error reported in the browser's console when I load index.html - about not being able to find https://tillyspaws.com/cumulusutils/realtimegauges.txt. Yet realtimegauges.txt IS found at the correct location - it is at https://tillyspaws.com/vp2weather/realtimegauges.txt and the gauges work (as do the json-dependent graphs and the realtime data). The .ini file knows that it's in /vp2weather/ - along with realtime.txt and .json files because it has:
[Website]
GoogleStatsId=
CumulusRealTimeLocation=/vp2weather/

Any clues about what is going on with these two issues?
billy

Post by billy »

sorry - forgot to include windrose.txt and the cumulusutils.ini files
HansR

Post by HansR »

1. The 'can not find realtimegauges.txt' issue is caused by the fact that the gauges are initialised in index.html through the <script> tag. This means that the gauges initialise on their default behaviour which is the realtimegauges in the current directory. As you diverted that to /vp2weather/ the system has to set that diversion and it can do so only after the document load has completed. This means that once (and only once) the realtimegauges.txt is sought in the default directory. It runs well afterwards.
  2. The second issue is - as far as I could analyse - caused by a double include of jQuery.js. I think this is because you generated the website, and after that you generated the WindRose as a module which automatically sets the include jQuery.js to true. If you generate a website the GeneratejQueryInclude is set to false, preventing the generation of the <script src=jQuery> line. Then when generating as a module (or ALL) it is set to true automatically, always generating the jquery <script> tag.
    I believe that is not good behaviour. It must be set to false when generation a website and from that moment on It should assume the value false, also when generation individual modules. If jQuery is required it should be a manual action by the user.

You can fix it now by either generation of the website new, so: "./cumulusutils website" (preferred) or manually edit the file windrose.txt and remove the line :

Code: Select all

<script src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/3.4.1/jquery.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
    I'll change the behaviour of this parameter for the next version and make the manual clearer on this behaviour.
  3. Could you adjust the link to the site in the inifile for the [Maps] section? It now leads to nowhere. I just saw the inifile and see that you fixed that already ;)
Hans

billy

Post by billy »

Thank you - again. I fiddled with some of the directory and website settings earlier today and got in a real pickle - hence the map link problem. Stupidly hadn’t kept a good working copy before I started. Eventually got myself back on track. :oops:
HansR

Post by HansR »

billy wrote: Sun 24 May 2020 11:26 am Thank you - again. I fiddled with some of the directory and website settings earlier today and got in a real pickle - hence the map link problem. Stupidly hadn’t kept a good working copy before I started. Eventually got myself back on track. :oops:
No problem. The advantage of my system is, that whoever, whenever messes up, you just rerun cumulusutils and you're back where you were in seconds 8-)
Hans

billy

Post by billy »

"./cumulusutils website" didn't quite get rid of all the windrose errors - it reduced them from hundreds (as they accumulated over time) to 2. Close but not quite close enough, and I have to say this really is a black box for me, so once again I am very dependent on a skilled helper when I would prefer to resolve it myself.

The errors in the browser's console are in the attached snip (the first 3 are not relevant for the problem at hand, I think). The zip holds windrose.txt (uploaded) and cumulusutils.ini

Edit: and nothing is produced in the graph area.

Annotation 2020-05-24 221542.jpg
HansR

Post by HansR »

Hi Billy, Sorry I am a bit late, but I think I found it: a semicolon was missing. Small bug, big influence.
You find a patched version specially for you, could you try it. If it works I'll push it out in a release.

Reason nobody has complained so far is that the Windrose can be switched off or is placed under the Thrifty system I guess. In both cases it will take some time to notice.
[Edit:]Don't forget to empty the cache before loading the new windrose.
Hans