Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

How to chage a static IP in Weatherlink?

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
aznetcowboy
Weather Station: Davis 6153 Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

How to chage a static IP in Weatherlink?

Post by aznetcowboy »

I have now have a problem with my Weatherlink in that my weather PC can ping everything except 192.168.0.102. I installed a new Netgear router which insists it wants to use the IP range of 192.168.1.x, not 192.168.0.x. The Davis tech support said to use the string "arp -s 192.168.0.102 00-1D-0A-00-6E-A5" to allow me to change the static IP of the Weatherlink followed by pinging the IP twice.

It didn't work. Any other ideas on how to get the Weatherlink for a 0.x to a 1.x IP address? See the attached jpg of the attempt done as "Run as Administrator":
Weatherlink.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom Wills
Ridge Run Weather Station: http://www.ridgerun.us
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Re: How to chage a static IP in Weatherlink?

Post by water01 »

They are telling you to change the IP address in the Address Resolution Cache to point at a physical MAC address.

So in your case you should have issued the command arp -s 192.168.1.102 00-1D-0A-00-6E-A5 i.e associate 192.168.1.102 with the MAC address of your Weatherlink (note that initial IP address should be changed to whatever the 192.168.1.xxx you want to use).

Once you have done that you should ping 192.168.1.xxx not the old IP address.
David
aznetcowboy

Post by aznetcowboy »

That did it!!! Thanks for the correct setting as you can now see in my signature block. :D
Tom Wills
Phil23
Weather Station: Davis VP2+ & GW1000 (Standalone)
Operating System: Win10 Pro / rPi Buster

Post by Phil23 »

Not familiar with Weatherlink & whether it's got a Web interface where you specify the IP address etc; assume so.

If that's the case I would now go & change it & move it to your own subnet.

Personally I've moved right away from Static IP's in most cases (Excluding Servers & Routers)...
My Router has 65 local IP's in the ARP cache & the majority are set via DHCP reservation.

My DHCP in managed by Windows Server, but in your case you should still be able to set the reservation in the Netgear so it always gets the same IP.

Phil.
:Now: :Today/Yesterday:

Main Station Davis VP2+ Running Via Win10 Pro.
Secondary Stations, Ecowitt HP2551/GW1000 Via rPi 3 & 4 Running Buster GUI.
:Local Inverell Ecowitt Station: :Remote Ashford Ecowitt Station:
aznetcowboy

Post by aznetcowboy »

There is no UI to change the static IP in the Davis Weatherlink. I was on the phone with their Tech Support before turning to this site. I got the correct answer here that the Tech Support person gave me, be in a very confusing email that did not clarify the way to change the static IP. There sure are a a lot of intelligent people here. And getting my issue resolved within minutes of my posting, well that says it all!
;)
Tom Wills
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

aznetcowboy wrote: Thu 21 May 2020 3:52 am There is no UI to change the static IP in the Davis Weatherlink.
I haven't got one, but I thought you just pointed your browser at the loggers IP address, and got something like this back?

prodata
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Windows - all flavours

Post by prodata »

mcrossley wrote: Thu 21 May 2020 9:25 am I haven't got one, but I thought you just pointed your browser at the loggers IP address, and got something like this back?
That's fine if the static IP address is still valid for the local network. The problem comes with eg a change of router that might want to use a different local subnet from the previous one. I totally concur with the suggestion that static IP addresses are best avoided, at least with the IP logger. This fault scenario is rare but when it does crop up is a pain to resolve for some users, ie those who don't really know their way around subnets etc
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
Littleport, East Cambs, UK
http://www.weatherstations.co.uk
aznetcowboy

Post by aznetcowboy »

mcrossley wrote: Thu 21 May 2020 9:25 am I haven't got one, but I thought you just pointed your browser at the loggers IP address, and got something like this back?
I tried your suggestion, I get nothing. Mine is about 8 years old. Maybe that era did not have that option.
Tom Wills
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

As the IP logger and your PC are highly likely to be in the same broadcast domain, you can just set a static IP on your PC in the old subnet range. That will allow you to connect to the IP logger using its old IP address to either set a new static IP, or better set it DHCP. Then change your PC back to DHCP.

(Actually you can just add a second IP address in the old subnet to your network adapter. That's what I would do, but it's simpler just to change the primary IP)
Phil23
Weather Station: Davis VP2+ & GW1000 (Standalone)
Operating System: Win10 Pro / rPi Buster

Post by Phil23 »

It's hard to envisage that someone would market a device shipped with a Static IP that is oblivious to the buyers existing Subnet & not easily changed.

Mind you I have come across it in Hikvison Security camera, which ship on 192.168.0.20 & DHCP disabled,
but they have a utility that scans at ARP level & allows their IP parameters & DHCP to be configured from there.
:Now: :Today/Yesterday:

Main Station Davis VP2+ Running Via Win10 Pro.
Secondary Stations, Ecowitt HP2551/GW1000 Via rPi 3 & 4 Running Buster GUI.
:Local Inverell Ecowitt Station: :Remote Ashford Ecowitt Station: