Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

New Weather Station needed.. wifi/mqtt

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
Sadgit
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7

New Weather Station needed.. wifi/mqtt

Post by Sadgit »

Hello

I've been using Cumulus for the last 7-8 years with my Vantage Vue but the last few weeks I am not getting any wind data, both direction and speed, the support has been next to useless so time to move on. I also feel this data into WU which then feeds into my home automation via Home Assistant.

Can anyone advise what is the best current hardware that works with Cumulus and can feed data to other sources? I don't want to lose the last 7-8 years of data but want to keep on trucking,,, or weathering,, as in this case.

I don't give a monkeys about the display as I have never even looked at the Vue one, as it has always been in the loft/garage.. Cumulus is what I really need access to

Ambient Weather WS-2902A?

any help would be great thanks.. as I think trying to fix the Vue will be a waste of money

Cheers
Mark
Last edited by Sadgit on Thu 19 Mar 2020 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Daddy
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1003 (GW1000)
Operating System: Raspbian 10 (Buster) / Mono 6.12

Re: New Weather Station needed.. wifi/mqtt

Post by Big Daddy »

Take a look at the new Ecowitt hardware http://www.ecowitt.com/

I have some on order but it has been delayed as it is shipping directly from China or Hong Kong.

They have complete stations or you can pick and choose what elements you want, they have lots of additional sensors if you want them as well, soil, lightning, air quality, water leak. I have gone for a GW1003 set as likewise I dont need a display. Make sure whatever you buy includes the GW1000 gateway as this is needed for CumulusMX, which now supports this thanks to the great effort of the developers here on the forum.

There are a few minor downsides:
1) The GW1000 doesnt have any logging capability so it needs to be powered on constantly as does the device running Cumulus MX. You will lose data if there is a power failure or issues with your home network. I am running on a Raspberry Pi so very cheap to run in terms of electricity

2) If you are in the UK. Its not available directly in the UK yet. This means there are shipping charges and also possibilty of import taxes / import VAT. Speak with Lucy at Ecowitt via email (ecowittweather@outlook.com) she will help with this, just explain the concern of import duties / taxes. :D

You can buy this on a few of the Amzon sites (US, Canada and AU) but there are several transmission frequencies and these versions can affect UK mobile phone signals as they are on the same frequency,.

Andy
zoomx
Weather Station: Froggit GW1000
Operating System: Windows-Linux

Post by zoomx »

Froggit sells some components rebranded
GW1000 is froggit dp1500
WH31 is froggit DP50
There is no WH32 that is the main outside sensor

You can find them on Amazon or froggit.de

In Amazon there is a VLIKE WH32 but GW1000 sees it as a WH31.
Sadgit

Post by Sadgit »

Thanks both, this is good to hear. I hadn't looked at the Ecowitt stuff but will do so right now! Thanks.

I like the look of the one you are getting with a Ultrasonic Anemometer Sensor Package. I was thinking, when on earth is the wind vane! I already have my davis connected to a pi zero (even cheaper to run) but it has a ip logger, which stores data if there is any issues with power.. but I am sure I can find a work around.

EDIT - I am going to buy the GW1003, I love the fact you don't need a screen as I have never once looked at my Davis console, it is ugly so hidden in the garage, plus no need with Cumulus. :D

Thanks again! I do want to send the data to my home automation (Home Assistant) setup (via MQTT) without the need for WU, and looks like there is a project on github to enable this.
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Pleased to help.

I went for the ultrasonic wind vane as I live in the middle of nowhere surrounded by agricultural land, mainly vegetables and wheat so there is a lot of dust which constantly got in to my Maplin wind vane and anenometer so I was constanly taking it down to clean and have replaced it several times when the bearings finaly give up.

If you do find a workaround for the logging issue please let us know.

Andy
Sadgit

Post by Sadgit »

Big Daddy wrote: Thu 19 Mar 2020 11:41 am

Andy
I've just looked at the logger and I had hoped it would be USB powered and it is.. So you can buy a £10-20 power brick like the Anker ones, plug the logger and Rpi into it, then plug the brick into a wall socket. This will then run both when the power is cut and should (depends on the size of the brick) last a good few hours. Well that is my plan, but I guess I have a few weeks to wait for delivery 1st.. Technology has moved on a lot since I started this lark.

Anyone want to buy a davis vue with iplogger (with no wind data) :D
I went for the ultrasonic wind vane as I live in the middle of nowhere surrounded by agricultural land
I'm just a sheep and following you to be honest. I fancy something different and not sure if it will make much difference to me over all. I just like the neat look of it and that I can now move it to higher on the house and leave the temp sensor lower down on the garage. Just need them to reply so I can place an order! :D :D :D
rogerthn
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000/GW1003
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS bullseye aarch64

Post by rogerthn »

Hi, any luck with Ecowitt GW1003?

My Oregon Scientific WMR88 has been running fine for more than 7 years but since I now have some solar panels on my roof I've started to look at UV measurement and I do "need" to continue with Cumulus :P

My previous weather station, a National Geographic 265 NE was running Cumulus 1 and then Cumulus MX from 2008-10-12 until 2017-12-19.
Sadgit

Post by Sadgit »

I don't have mine yet.. it was shipped from HK today so they say it should be here by next Monday!
Turvey
Operating System: Win 7

Post by Turvey »

Sadgit wrote: Thu 19 Mar 2020 1:52 pm
Big Daddy wrote: Thu 19 Mar 2020 11:41 am

Andy
Anyone want to buy a davis vue with iplogger (with no wind data) :D

Cheap? 😉

My Vue has a couple of faults and I could probably make one good one out of the two, if it was cheap enough.
Sadgit

Post by Sadgit »

Turvey wrote: Mon 20 Apr 2020 10:19 am

Cheap? 😉

My Vue has a couple of faults and I could probably make one good one out of the two, if it was cheap enough.
[/quote]

I'm not so sure now as the wind sensors are working again after I fiddled about..
rogerthn

Post by rogerthn »

Sadgit wrote: Mon 20 Apr 2020 7:38 am I don't have mine yet.. it was shipped from HK today so they say it should be here by next Monday!
OK
Where did you find it, maybe http://www.ecowitt.com/weather_station/118.html ?
Sadgit

Post by Sadgit »

yes that is the one I am getting
rogerthn

Post by rogerthn »

Sadgit wrote: Mon 20 Apr 2020 5:22 pm yes that is the one I am getting
OK
Waiting for the final price including shipping to Sweden
Maybe we will end up with a new Topic: ECOWITT GW1003 :o
Turvey
Operating System: Win 7

Post by Turvey »

Sadgit wrote: Mon 20 Apr 2020 4:34 pm
I'm not so sure now as the wind sensors are working again after I fiddled about..
That's good 👍 dodgy connection?
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

rogerthn,

Post already started for GW1003 viewtopic.php?f=42&t=18029

Andy