Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

User Interface

Discussion of the Cumulusutils tool and website generator.

Moderator: HansR

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

User Interface

Post by mcrossley »

Hi Hans, your site is looking good, I'd make one v. small usability suggestion, the cursor should change to a "hand" when above the clickable sub-menus as well as the main menu items.
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Re: User Interface

Post by HansR »

Thanks! And yes, and also change colour when hovering. You're right.
I looked at it quickly but could not find it. Have to look a bit deeper into bootstrap I guess.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
HansR

Post by HansR »

I did some research, but the menu of Bootstrap normally require clicking for the drop down so I had that already solved to get a hover dropdown. Experimenting with an original Bootstrap menu did not give a shadow and a pointer on the dropdowns. Normally that depends on the fact that it points to a link. But that is not the case here: it is a <span> with a javascript call and so: nothing happens. Even if you make it an empty link, the link takes precedence. So in short: it's not a quick fix. Seems like Bootstrap has some issue here, this will take some time. Thought I could do that lightning fast, but no. But I do want a menu within the Bootstrap framework.
Hans

kocher
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2+
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by kocher »

Greetings Hans

Here is my page:

http://kocher.es/cumulusMX/FWI/

I propose to consider the following suggestions regarding the interface, in the sense of trying to improve the screen vision, especially at night:

- Try to highlight the menu, since it is (I think) hardly visible (change the font color?).

- Consider darkening the white glow of the screen a little; I present you an example of a page (weewx) that has a switch, at the top right, to choose a white or black background; It can also be automated taking into account day or night time:

http://kocher.es/weewx/

https://github.com/poblabs/weewx-belchertown

I do not know if these proposals are feasible or not, but I assure you that I make them with the best intention. :)
HansR

Post by HansR »

@kocher:
Thanks for the link.
You are right about the colour aspects of the user interface. I am thinking about the colours. The site as you see now has my personal colour preference. I will make a possibility to change those colour settings. Maybe I will provide two or three examples, but not too many as colour is a very personal thing and it is not my speciality. So making it configurable is the most important. The colouring of the menu can then be done by the user. The background colour now is white so that should be a setting too.

There is no such thing as a skin in the design of CumulusUtils, so don't expect something sophisticated, but yes, there are some improvements to be made.
Hans

water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

Just looking at the sites Hans and as an oldie I find it rather disconcerting that the mouse pointer doesn't change to a hand or the item changes to a selected background when the mouse is run over a menu item . Difficult to see what you have selected.

Minor thing but it makes it more useable.
David
HansR

Post by HansR »

@water01: yes. I explained that above in my reply to Mark. Problem is I work with <span> iso <a> in the menu. The mmenu is not standard Bootstrap, but if I use a standard menu behaviour is the same. It's simple standard behaviour which works on a link, not on <span>. Is on the list of course.
Hans

freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

HansR wrote: Fri 24 Apr 2020 11:13 am @water01: yes. I explained that above in my reply to Mark. Problem is I work with <span> iso <a> in the menu. The mmenu is not standard Bootstrap, but if I use a standard menu behaviour is the same. It's simple standard behaviour which works on a link, not on <span>. Is on the list of course.
You can use css to change the cursor, no?
Freddie
HansR

Post by HansR »

@freddie:
Yes, but there were some more things I wanted to research.

But before it becomes a real issue, I'll have it done with the next release. ;)
I may be that I get stuck with the default bootstrap4 behaviour of clickable dropdowns (not on hover) but that's not too heavy.
Hans

mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Talking about the menus ;) I noticed using a mobile device that there is no indication when you have "touched" a sub menu.

For example the graph type, as the graph is off the bottom of the screen you cannot see it change, and the menu does not close either. I was tapping away for a while before I realised it had actually done anything.

Mobile touch support is a whole other area of fun I found unless your library supports it directly.
HansR

Post by HansR »

mcrossley wrote: Fri 24 Apr 2020 3:26 pm Talking about the menus ;) I noticed using a mobile device that there is no indication when you have "touched" a sub menu.

For example the graph type, as the graph is off the bottom of the screen you cannot see it change, and the menu does not close either. I was tapping away for a while before I realised it had actually done anything.

Mobile touch support is a whole other area of fun I found unless your library supports it directly.
Don't worry guys, I had already noticed there were things wrong with the menu. One of the main reasons being that I designed one myself because the standard Bootstrap 4 behaviour is not a drop down on hover but on click. I did not want to so I did some other things which did not work out. Now I am halfway and have no menu at all on the phone. :groan:

So, no worry, i'll get you a nice menu if bootstrap likes to cooperate. I stay as close to the defaults as possible. That's the whole point.
And responsive it must be.

Don't start chasing me.
Hans

mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Not hassling you Hans, just making you aware of an issue I hadn't seen before because I'd been using a laptop. 8-)
HansR

Post by HansR »

OK 8-)
Anyway, the first draft of the new menu is online at my site. Any comment is allowed ;)

I may change some colouring of the letters, but I like it as is. And yes, it's responsive. Only when seen on a phone, the reportview is at the bottom while the menu is at the top. That's a nuisance because if you want to change anything it would be a report. On the other hand: who is going to check the reports on a phone :?:
Hans

kocher
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2+
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by kocher »

It seems to me that you have achieved a good result; perhaps at night it is somewhat difficult to see (little contrast between the font of the letter and the background; if I already know that it became fashionable and, therefore, there are pages on the Internet that I cannot see and I directly escape from them without waste of time) :lol:
sutne
Weather Station: HP2553 (WS80) and HP2564 (WS90)
Operating System: Raspbian Bullseye and Bookworm

Post by sutne »

I have set Solar and UV to False in the ini-file, but still I have a Sun-box in the Dashboard.
I am not really complaining about that, because now it is 12 boxes which makes it look nice. Reducing it to 11 would not.

Then I will put out a question: For us that do not have Solar, could we have something else in that box?
Any suggestions?

Another minor thing: on the iPad the Status is centered, should have been next to the Led.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.