Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Possible change for future

Topics concerning the Support Forum.
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Possible change for future

Post by sfws »

The new forum structure seems to be working well

I have had one more thought ... The old cumulus 1 forum had sub-forums for each type of weather station to separate out the different Cumulus 1 questions. It might be that in future, people would find it useful to split up the current MX queries by which operating system people are using. I have noted that David is repeating himself in answers to a few topics about Windows specific queries, and repetition could happen for Linux and OS X in the future.
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: Possible change for future

Post by freddie »

sfws wrote: Thu 26 Mar 2020 5:05 pmpeople would find it useful to split up the current MX queries by which operating system people are using
This suggestion was made by another user (Hansr, I think), and David and I had pondered it. What we decided at that time was that many changes had already been made, so we were going to let things settle for a bit before revisiting further change suggestions. I think your suggestion will be near (if not at) the top of that list.
Freddie
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

I would agree but with nearly 2000 topics in the Mx 2 forums I wouldn't want to do this retrospectively as that is a mammoth task and one if we did it could take considerable time.

Also how far do you take it. Since MX was released we have had windows 7/8/8+ and 10 and there are myriad number of Linux/Unix Versions ( Ubuntu, Raspbian, Debian, Mint (etc.) all with at least 2 releases and MAC OS has had 2/3 releases, but thankfully there are not many of those queries. Mono is also moving into Android systems so we could potentially see mobile phones and we have already seen people running on NAS based Linux systems that support Mono.

We just need to be careful otherwise we will make the Forum very difficult to navigate and Post to and an Admin/moderator nightmare.
David
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

water01 wrote: Thu 26 Mar 2020 6:00 pmI would agree but with nearly 2000 topics in the Mx 2 forums I wouldn't want to do this retrospectively as that is a mammoth task and one if we did it could take considerable time.

Also how far do you take it.
I would argue that the differentiator between the operating systems is whether .Net or Mono is the underlying software abstraction layer (common language runtime - or CLR). So if it was completely down to me I would have subforums for Windows and Unix (MacOS is derived from Unix, as is Linux and Android). Regarding the retrospective changes - I am happy to do this over a period of time. During this period of time the original MX forum could be locked so that new posts would need to be in the new subforum. Also, I would have a third subforum called "generic" (or similar), as not all posts will be architecture-specific.
water01 wrote: Thu 26 Mar 2020 6:00 pmWe just need to be careful otherwise we will make the Forum very difficult to navigate and Post to and an Admin/moderator nightmare.
I completely agree, but do think this is a worthwhile split.
Freddie