Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Daily Temp & Daily Rain charts failure

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

RHards
Weather Station: FIneOffset
Operating System: Raspberry Pi

Daily Temp & Daily Rain charts failure

Post by RHards »

My web page http://www.rhards.co.uk/WeatherMX/trends.htm worked perfectly adequately for my purposes up until a couple of weeks ago.

Daily Temp and Daily Rain charts seemed to get stuck displaying only one days results (6 March IIRC), daily displaying fewer and fewer days records.

Now they're effectively blank (although Daily Temp seems to have some artefact on the left of where the date axis should be).

Running on a Pi Zero W

I'd be very grateful for any helpful pointers.

Thanks,
Richard
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: Daily Temp & Daily Rain charts failure

Post by freddie »

Very likely a problem in your dayfile.txt. But you should post your MXDiags file here for checking so we can be sure.
Freddie
RHards

Post by RHards »

Thanks Freddie,

I have 10 TXT files in the MXdiags folder on my Pi, dating back to 14 March. Should I attach all of them or just the most recent?

FWIW, I've not had either Debug logging or Data logging checked in Dashboard options. Should I check them now?
freddie

Post by freddie »

Start with the most recent and see if it flags any errors. If not then switch on debug, let it run for a while and then post the file.
Freddie
RHards

Post by RHards »

Here's the most recent.

Out of interest, how come the file size seems to vary as much as it does, if they are generally logging the same things? Most are around 80KB but this, and one (of two) from yesterday are 20KB.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
freddie

Post by freddie »

A new file is created each time you restart Cumulus. So the size of the file will depend on the amount of time between restarts.
Freddie
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

Code: Select all

2020-03-22 03:00:05.790 Error uploading /home/pi/CumulusMX/web/moonphasetagT.txttmp to WeatherMX/moonphasetag.php : Can't open that file: No such file or directory
2020-03-22 03:00:32.928 Error uploading web/dailyrain.json to /dailyrain.json : Timed out trying to read data from the socket stream!
Looks like you have an invalid file path in your Extra Web Files are which is causing the failure of the dailyrain.json file.

It should be moonphasetagT.txt without the tmp on the end.

The other possibility is that you have the correct name but there is a zero length file on your server for moonphasetag.php. FTP in CumulusMX seems to have a problem with overwriting zero length files, so delete it from the server with FileZilla or your FTP tool of choice.

2020-03-22 08:09:17.897 Error uploading realtime.txt to realtime.txt : Timed out trying to read data from the socket stream!

Other files are failing to load because of this error although the interesting thing is this failure is nearly 9 minutes after the moonphase failure. Maybe the failure is because the first failure is leaving an FTP socket open which fails a later upload. I know that Mark Crossley said he had spotted a few problems with the resilience of the FTP and was looking to improve it in a later build.

In the meantime fix the moonphase upload problem and it should fix the other failures.

Plus what Freddie found below (missed that!!).
David
freddie

Post by freddie »

There is an error showing in the diags file:

GetRainfallTotals: Error on line 222 of dayfile.txt: Input string was not in the correct format
So whatever day is on line 222 contains an error. This can occur if Cumulus isn't shut down correctly - for example, if there is a power cut.
Freddie
RHards

Post by RHards »

Thanks David and Freddie,

I think that seems to have fixed the issues.

Intriguingly, the two daily charts seem to have repopulated themselves this morning (earlier, about 2AM, couldn't sleep) there was just an entry in each for yesterday, but now…

If I'm honest, I'm not entirely sure which particular action sorted it out. While I was connected, I took the opportunity to have a bit of a general tidy up. Curiously, the moonphasetag file extensions hadn't been changed by me since I was trying to get it going when I first set it up last July, and it's worked perfectly (other than the moonphase indicator) until 6 March. I'll probably have another go now, I think I'll have a bit of time on my hands!

I edited Dayfile.txt in notepad, so I'm not precisely aware of the line number, but in about the right place was one line with spaces in front of it roughly equal to the total line length of the average other lines. I deleted all the spaces, and that's where we are now. I should have made a note of the date, but I seem to recall it was late in February, rather the 6 March.

Thanks again, and stay healthy everyone,
Richard
freddie

Post by freddie »

RHards wrote: Tue 24 Mar 2020 8:42 amI edited Dayfile.txt in notepad, so I'm not precisely aware of the line number, but in about the right place was one line with spaces in front of it roughly equal to the total line length of the average other lines. I deleted all the spaces, and that's where we are now. I should have made a note of the date, but I seem to recall it was late in February, rather the 6 March.
As an aside, I would download a more feature-rich text editor such as Notepad++ for future editing of Cumulus data files. From your description, it seems as if MX was shut down in an uncontrolled way (i.e. power failure) at some point which resulted in this data file corruption.

Good to hear things are working a bit better now.

Stay safe.
Freddie