Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

A few CumulusMx questions

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

Safety
Weather Station: Davis Pro
Operating System: Windows 11

A few CumulusMx questions

Post by Safety »

Hi all,

Another user migrating from Cumulus version 1 to Cumulus MX, so just a few basic questions based on my newly installed version 3.4.1 b3065.

Q1
Given the version of CumulusMX I am running on a Davis pro with pre 1.90 firmware, do I still need to update the Cumulus.ini file with:-

UseDavisLoop2=0
And as I am using a metric rain gauge one tip is = to 0.2mm. Do I still have to update the Cumulus.ini file with VprainGaugeType=0?

Q2
Could you describe the functionality behind each of the following controls in the Web/FTP settings section?

• Enable Realtime
• Enable Realtime FTP
• Realtime txt FTP

Q3
Is there a dedicated MX help resource, as I can find loads of information relating to Cumulus v1 but CumulusMx is lacking?

Q4
I have attached a screen shot of the bottom of the dashboard could you explain the purpose of this area, as selecting any option i.e. Low temperature does not result in any functionality that is obvious to me.

Best regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: A few CumulusMx questions

Post by mcrossley »

Safety wrote: Sat 29 Feb 2020 5:24 pm Q1
Given the version of CumulusMX I am running on a Davis pro with pre 1.90 firmware, do I still need to update the Cumulus.ini file with:-

UseDavisLoop2=0
It's best too but not essential. Cumulus does attempt to detect the firmware version and automatically disable the option if it finds a version that does not support it.
Safety wrote: Sat 29 Feb 2020 5:24 pm And as I am using a metric rain gauge one tip is = to 0.2mm. Do I still have to update the Cumulus.ini file with VprainGaugeType=0?
If you have set Cumulus to use mm for rain, then no. CMX assumes a imperial gauge if using inches, a metric gauge if using mm. You only need that ini entry if you have a mismatch between the gauge and units.
Safety wrote: Sat 29 Feb 2020 5:24 pm Q2
Could you describe the functionality behind each of the following controls in the Web/FTP settings section?

• Enable Realtime
• Enable Realtime FTP
• Realtime txt FTP
Enable realtime - enables realtime processing, without this processing only takes place at the logging interval.
Enable Realtime FTP - what it says, allows you to perform additional FTP uploads (or file copies) at the realtime interval.
Realtime.txt FTP - Automatically uploads the realtime.txt to the root of web folder at the realtime interval.
Safety wrote: Sat 29 Feb 2020 5:24 pm Q3
Is there a dedicated MX help resource, as I can find loads of information relating to Cumulus v1 but CumulusMx is lacking?
Much of the C1 documentation still applies, and sadly the CMX documentation is spread over this forum and the Wiki. We need some volunteers to generate some decent documentation and "publicity" material.
Safety wrote: Sat 29 Feb 2020 5:24 pm Q4
I have attached a screen shot of the bottom of the dashboard could you explain the purpose of this area, as selecting any option i.e. Low temperature does not result in any functionality that is obvious to me.
That area shows the status of any alarms you have defined, currently you haven't so they are all greyed out. GUI > Settings > Alarms
Safety

Post by Safety »

Hi
Thank you for the fast reply.
My Q2 was asked in the respect of setting-up realtimegauges and which other options I have to select to make the gauges work.

Regards
ExperiMentor
Weather Station: Fine Offset & Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10; Raspbian Buster

Post by ExperiMentor »

Not sure what your question is. These options are all for sending data from CumulusMX to an external webserver. Normally data is sent at the logging interval (eg 10 mins, adjustable) or you can select to have data sent in real time (every few seconds).

Elsewhere, you need to set up which files you want to upload and where to (external server details).

But from your previous experience it looks like you already knew most of this. So what are you now asking?
Safety

Post by Safety »

Hi

To clarify my question regarding real-time gauges.

I imported my current settings by copying my Cumulus.ini file from V1, my web page worked other then the gauges so looking at the settings found that I needed to enable the Realtimegauges.txt FTP, save and restart CumulusMX and all worked well.

However, as I am now using CumulusMX and have found that it is a lot better than V1 some of my files I used to have to upload I have no need for now, so I have deleted the uploads. Still all works well.

Given that the only real time function I am using now is Realtimegauges.txt FTP and Realtime interval, I find I have got the following all selected so my question related to which ones need to be selected just for Realtimegauges.txt FTP to work correctly in a web page environment, thus if required I have a cleaner configuration.

• Enable Realtime
• Enable Realtime FTP
• Realtime txt FTP
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

In CumulusMX setup under Internet Settings enable "Realtimegauges.txt FTP".
David
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

mcrossley wrote: Sat 29 Feb 2020 5:51 pm Much of the C1 documentation still applies, and sadly the CMX documentation is spread over this forum and the Wiki. We need some volunteers to generate some decent documentation and "publicity" material.
Since I'm in one of the UK categories being told to stay at home, and I've no longer got the incentive that the quicker I sort out my new home the quicker I can get a social life back, I have made a start at updating parts of the Wiki. Also today it seemed I was stuck under a front that produced rain all day until it was too dark to work in garden, and it is forecast to return back to over me tomorrow.

I believe I have done what I can on FAQ, but that is (in my opinion) too large now to fulfil its original purpose and The FAQ really needs a big re-organise probably into some sort of drill down approach like those key guides to plants and trees. It would be a huge task, but I suspect worth it in the end. Does anyone else agree?

I have also worked through the various log file pages. Some of those pages were very basic before, just repeating what was in the Cumulus 1 help screens. I hope people will find the new content useful, I have tried to cover the needs of people still on old versions of Cumulus 1 (you might be surprised at how many have not updated from what they used when they first started), those on latest version of Cumulus 1, those swapping from Cumulus 1 to MX and those who have been on MX for a while and now want to edit some files. I hope the new style with multiple headings will enable people to skip to bits that interest them. Are you impressed with the new style, or did you never see what was there before?

The big articles that I worked on years ago, I am leaving untouched for now. Somebody else may have spotted deficiencies or have ideas on how to improve them? Alternatively, maybe they are fine, because a lot of work went into them, and any refinements would have been requested back then.

I don't yet use Cumulus MX, although now I have time I may well try it, meanwhile I have been cautiously sticking to adding information that I can find on this forum to update what already exists on the Wiki. It has been my experience in the past that collecting information from many different topics on the forum in one place on the Wiki is helpful.. Unless some action is taken on my idea of restructuring the forum, I believe finding the hints scattered around the forum remains very difficult. Certainly I spend longer scanning through forum topics, than I do typing what I find into the Wiki.

Some of you who have been using MX for a while must have some ideas on what else needs documentation. I am guessing the schema and database side should be a priority, because even the forum does not seem to have much about that, but can you suggest anything else?

FINALLY, WILL ANYONE ELSE VOLUNTEER TO DO SOME DOCUMENTATION.....
Phil23
Weather Station: Davis VP2+ & GW1000 (Standalone)
Operating System: Win10 Pro / rPi Buster

Post by Phil23 »

sfws wrote: Wed 18 Mar 2020 7:46 pm FINALLY, WILL ANYONE ELSE VOLUNTEER TO DO SOME DOCUMENTATION.....

It's Very easy to say Yes, and I've made two very minor changes in the Wiki.

I can see other areas I can make great changes to, but it would be very time intensive and life in general takes priority as it's not that easy a time.

I do spend hours search what could be referred to as the Mash of forum data & most often find what I want.
When I do succeed, I'm just grateful that those post & contributions exist.
:Now: :Today/Yesterday:

Main Station Davis VP2+ Running Via Win10 Pro.
Secondary Stations, Ecowitt HP2551/GW1000 Via rPi 3 & 4 Running Buster GUI.
:Local Inverell Ecowitt Station: :Remote Ashford Ecowitt Station: