Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Upgrading from Cumulus V1 to MX

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

Tony_J
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2+
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Upgrading from Cumulus V1 to MX

Post by Tony_J »

Apologies in advance if this has been answered a thousand times already, but if it has, it is deeply buried and/or spread across multiple posts, so difficult to locate.

I have been running Cumulus V1 for several years, and potentially can continue to do so, but I suspect that at some point, Windows will evolve to a version that doesn't support it anymore, so I am looking to see whether moving to MX is a reasonable possibility.

My current installation uses V1's ability to upload to my website, and although I have made some minor modifications, the pages and data that they contain are still pretty much the "vanilla" upload templates that came with V1.

So my main question is, how much knife-and-forking is required to get from where I am to the same functionality on MX? Is there a simple guide anywhere on this forum that will give me a blow-by-blow account of how to get there? Thanks in advance...
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Re: Upgrading from Cumulus V1 to MX

Post by water01 »

To be perfectly honest if you are as it says in your profile a Windows 10 the upgrade is actually very simple, the hardest bit being getting used to the idea it is not a program that produces a UI (User Interface) like Cumulus 1. Instead it uses a browser interface.

So the best thing to do if you have lots of data, is to copy the Cumulus directory in its entirety (best to close Cumulus 1 while doing this) to a new directory (say CumulusMX).

Then look in CumulusMX and see if the Cumulus.ini has a capital C or a lowercase c. If it is lowercase rename it to Cumulus.ini with a capital C.

Then download the latest version of MX into this new directory from here https://cumuluswiki.org/a/Software (latest build 3063) and unzip it into the directory.

Then go to File Explorer which should be pointing at the CumulusMX directory and right click on CumulusMX.exe and select "Run as administrator" (note CumulusMX must always be run with Administration permissions but do NOT assume just because W10 says you are an Admin it has given you complete permissions!). One other point obviously your Cumulus 1 program should be shutdown before you do this. It is also better to do all of this in the middle of your meteorological day not near a rollover point as you may miss some data.

A Command Prompt box will open and you will see CumulusMX open in it. It should say something like this.
Current culture: English (United Kingdom)
Serial: 9A33C750E503150ABC25C19B4A682A21
Cumulus MX v.3.3.0 build 3063
Today.ini = data\today.ini
Last update=2020-02-11T00:05:00
Looking for Fine Offset station
Fine Offset station found
Connected to station
Cumulus running at: http://*:8998/
(Replace * with any IP address on this machine, or localhost)
11/02/2020 00:09:21
Type Ctrl-C to terminate
Downloading Archive Data
Normal running
It probably will not find your Davis Station on the first open but do not worry about that.

Now load your browser of choice (IE11, Edge, Firefox, Chrome etc.) and in the Url bar type in "http://localhost:8998/" (this assumes you are running the browser on the same computer as CumulusMX, if this is not so substitute localhost with the IP address of the computer running CumulusMX).

This should load the CumulusMX User Interface and along the top you will see lots of headings.

The first thing to do assuming that CumulusMX did not find your Com Port on your Davis is to go to Settings and in the dropdown Station Settings and alter the COM Port to the one that Windows 10 Control Panel / Device Manager / Ports says your David is on.

Scrolldown to the bottom of the page and hit SAVE (if you see any RED items there is something on the page that is incorrect and needs to fixed) but if all is correct you should see a dialogue box saying Saved. Then go to the Command Prompt window where CumulusMX is running and hit Ctrl+C to close CumulusMX. I have found by experience if you alter any settings it is better to make CumulusMX reload the Cumulus.ini file by closing and re-opening it.

So then go to the CumulusMX directory and again right click on CumulusMX.exe and select "Run as administrator". You should then see it load correctly and find your Davis station.

Back to your browser and reload "http://localhost:8998/" and with a bit of luck you should see the dashboard open up with yor latest data and the data loaded from your history files etc.

You now have to check that all the settings are correct for the other things that CumulusMX does i.e. uploading to your website etc. all of which is done via the Settings menu. You will also have to upload the contents of the CumulusMX webfiles directory to your web site.

If you have made some modifications to standard web pages like Cumulus 1 you should alter the xxxxxxxxT.htm files and they will be processed plus amendments as in C1.

Think that about covers it!!
David
Tony_J

Post by Tony_J »

Thanks David - that sounds a lot easier than I had feared!
Regards,
Tony
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Edit: sorry I took longer to type than David and didn't check if a reply had already been made.
So my main question is, how much knife-and-forking is required to get from where I am to the same functionality on MX?
This should be helpful https://cumuluswiki.org/a/Cumulus_MX

Summary:
1. Download CumulusMX and unzip in a new folder - i.e. C:\CumulusMX
2. Shut down Cumulus1 and copy your existing cumulus.ini to the new CumulusMX folder renaming it Cumulus.ini (that should carry forward all your setting, including FTP).
3. Copy your existing Cumulus\dada folder and contents to the new \CumulusMX
4. If you have added or made modification to your existing files in \web folder then copy over the old \web folder to the new CumulusMX
5. Looks like you had added the steelseries gauges in your Cumulus1 and these are now included in the CumulusMX package so you can remove the extra files processing and FTP from your settings in \CumulusMX\Cumulus.ini

Unless you had some other customization in your Cumulus1, that should be it.

You may have read that CumulusMX starts in a DOS command window so after installing CumulusMX go to the CumulusMX folder, right click on CumulusMX.exe and select Run as Administrator. After a few seconds the DOS screen will display and give the CumulusMX startup details. When ready you will likely see the lines -
Cumulus running at: http://*:8998/
(replace * with any IP address on this machine, or local host)
Type Ctrl-C to terminate

Minimize the CumulusMX DOS screen and let it keep running in the background.
Open a new browser on your computer and enter localhost:8998 in url line and the CumulusMX dashboard will open to display your station and access the settings as needed.
If you want to see the dashboard on another device on your local network type in a browser http://yourcomputeripaddress:8998 - i.e. http://192.168.0.52:8998

To stop CumulusMX go the CumulusMX DOS screen and press the <ctrl> and <c> keys.

Remember you can run only one program at the same time from the same weather station so shut down Cumulus1 before starting CumulusMX and shut down CumulusMX if you want to restart Cumulus1. At a restart, each version will resume and catch up from where the version was last run so you could maintain both versions for a while.

Good backups are also a life saver.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

Tony_J