Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Another ftp issue

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

BCJKiwi
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Cabled
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Re: Another ftp issue

Post by BCJKiwi »

OK
thegasman
Weather Station: WMR88
Operating System: Raspbian on Pi2

Post by thegasman »

Ok, maybe this isn't actually an ftp issue. I've noticed the files aren't being ftp'ed to my server and assumed the problem was ftp.
But the trend data isn't showing correctly in the CumulusMX served webpage on my own internal network:
Screenshot (3).png
This is the case for all the recent trend data - temperature, windspeed, pressure, rainfall, humidity etc, but the longer term data (daily rain, daily temp) is fine. I'm assuming these graphs are displayed from tempdata.json, raindata.json etc. These files are not being updated by CumulusMX on my Pi. I deleted them and new versions are not created. Could this be the problem, or is this a misunderstanding of how it work?

Thanks again,

Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

The admin interface uses a different mechanism for the charts - so that is possibly a different problem.

For your FTP issue and the json files, do you have "Include graph data files files" enabled in Web/FTP Settings? They will not be created without that.

Can I make a suggestion. Install a clean version of MX in a new folder, just copy over your data files and configure the station using the admin interface (no web host yet). Does the admin interface work correctly then?
Yes? Good, try adding your FTP site details, does that work?
thegasman

Post by thegasman »

Hi Mark,

Yes, include graph data files was checked.

So I've done as you suggest, a full clean install of the latest version of CumulusMX in a new directory. I've copied nothing across yet, not cumulus.ini or any data. I've set the station settings to the same settings as before manually, no ftp or anything set up yet.

So the admin interface shows I'm connecting to the weather station and getting data successfully. The chart pages however are still blank after half an hour. Is that normal? What IS the mechanism for populating the admin interface charts? None of the jsons (temp, wind, humidity etc) have been created. Is that normal? I don't want to make any further changes till I know that everything is working correctly so far.

Thanks,

Martin
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

The data for the graphs is pulled via an http request to Cumulus using same port as the main page - default 8998.

The live data pages get the data pushed over a web socket connection, again on the same port.

Your testing days indicates that there may be some issue on your network. Can you start your browser developer tools (f12 in Chrome), select the network tab, refresh the chart page and look for any errors?
thegasman

Post by thegasman »

Hmm, not seeing any errors. Still no graph though... :?
Screenshot (9).png
Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Can you click on tempdata.json and then select the preview tab please. That should show the contents, I don't expect it will give us a clue but....
thegasman

Post by thegasman »

Ok, thanks.
I won't be back at my computer till Monday evening, so I'll do that then.
I'm intrigued to get to the bottom of this 😏
About 10 years running Cumulus in various versions and this is the trickiest problem I've come across yet...

Martin
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Yeah, I'm puzzled too. If you are getting all the data (temp, pressure, wind etc) on the dashboard page, then the WMR100 station uses the same code to "add it in" to Cumulus as all the other stations.
thegasman

Post by thegasman »

Screenshot (11).png
Screenshot (10).png
Screen snapshots attached show live data is ok (the wind sensor is broken ATM) but nothing in tempdata.json. Cumulus has been running for 24 hours.

Martin
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

thegasman wrote: Sun 12 Jan 2020 6:11 pm (the wind sensor is broken ATM)

Ah! And there we have it I think. Cumulus requires a minimum set of sensors to function fully. FAQ
thegasman

Post by thegasman »

mcrossley wrote: Sun 12 Jan 2020 10:19 pm Ah! And there we have it I think. Cumulus requires a minimum set of sensors to function fully. FAQ
You're right, that was it! Adding NoSensorCheck=1 to cumulu.ini got everything working again. Thank you so much for your help, I would never have figured that out.
I'll need to get out on the roof once Brendan has passed and get the anemometer down to fix.

Could I politely suggest that a little message to the effect "Logging functionality disabled due to inadequate data" be added to MXDiags when this happens to help people in the future?

Martin
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

thegasman wrote: Mon 13 Jan 2020 6:48 pm Could I politely suggest that a little message to the effect "Logging functionality disabled due to inadequate data" be added to MXDiags when this happens to help people in the future?
I'll take a look :)