Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus unable to upload to website

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

john09cw
Weather Station: Maplin N96GY
Operating System: Raspberry Pi/Windows 11

Cumulus unable to upload to website

Post by john09cw »

Hi All,
I've been using Cumulus for 10 years now with hardly any issues i couldn't work out, but this one has me stumped, since the 18th December MX been unable to to upload to my website, i haven't changed anything, I enabled ftp logging, and I've attached the part what I think the problem is, but can anyone explain how i FTP using TLS.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
john09cw

Re: Cumulus unable to upload to website

Post by john09cw »

Ok, so MX is giving an error at the cmd window asking me to post the MX diags folder, so here we go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

Looks like your ISP has changed their FTP server to only use TLS connections, hence why it is saying "Please reconnect using TLS security mechanisms" and then "Sorry, cleartext sessions and Weak Ciphers are not accepted on this server".
David
john09cw

Post by john09cw »

Is there any way to get MX to upload using TLS?
RichK_Northwich
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by RichK_Northwich »

John - Are you by any chance hosted with TSOHosting? They switched to SFTP only on 18/12/2019, and I'm currently going through the agony of getting it re-connected.
I've had medium success. Only realtime.txt is causing problems now.
Cheers, Richard
john09cw

Post by john09cw »

Thanks Richard, in am indeed with TSOHosting, what have you been doing to get up and running again?
RichK_Northwich

Cursing their appalling tech support mostly... :)

FTP works from CumulusMX, so I've used Bitvise as an ftp bridge to do SFTP with TSOHosting, but pass on the FTP requests from MX.
https://www.bitvise.com/ftp-bridge

Key thing is TSO are using a non-standard SFTP port. Normal port is 22 for SFTP. TSO are using 2510.

So I set up following the instructions on that FTP bridge page, but on the Login panel use port 2510. Use your cpanel login, as I've found other created logins dont have the necessary privs.

In CumulusMX, set the address to 127.0.0.1, which is effectively your own computer.
In CumulusMX, set up with cpanel user/password. Again, I had permission issues when I didnt. The FTP bridge webpage instructions arent clear on this.

Your directory will be somewhere under public_html\.... Put this in Bitvise on the Services SFTP start directory. I configured a different port than 21 for the bridge settings.

Login on Bitvise. You should see it say connected. If you dont want the terminal or SFTP user interfaces (only really useful during debugging) then uncheck Open Terminal and Open SFTP in the Options\OnLogin panel.

To make best use of the Bitvise SFTP, I have set the Initial Directory to /home/<username>/public_html/<website path>

Start Bitvise first, then trigger an FTP Now. You should see activity in the Bitvise panel, and in your ftplog.txt file. Should give you plenty of debug info.

I'm still trying to work out how to send realtime.txt. It doesnt seem to be getting generated!

Hope that helps.
Richard
Bridger
Operating System: Windows 11 Home

Post by Bridger »

My site is also with tsoHost an stopped uploading on 18/12/19 due to the change to FTPS (without any notification!).
I was facing a double whammy of running Cumulus 1 on an old laptop running XP.
I have now got MX running on a Model B Raspberry Pi thanks to ExperiMentor's excellent instructions.
I am trying to upload the basic website but seem to have run into the same FTP problems mentioned above.
john09cw

Post by john09cw »

Thanks for that Richard,
Unfortunately I'm using Raspberry Pi not windows, don't know whether bitvise will work on linux :bash:
RichK_Northwich

Hi Bridger.
Try port 2510. It seems to work better than 22. 21 is for old FTP and FTPS which TSO dont support.
Bridger

Post by Bridger »

Thanks Richard, Do I need to tick the setting "Use SSL for FTP(FTPS)"?
RichK_Northwich

Nope. FTPS is not supported by TSO. So, you'll have to find a way to have an FTP->SFTP bridge on your Pi, with an SSH client that does the connecting to TSO.

No idea what is available on Linux, or a Pi.
Bridger

Post by Bridger »

Bridger wrote: Sat 21 Dec 2019 5:21 pm My site is also with tsoHost an stopped uploading on 18/12/19 due to the change to FTPS (without any notification!).
I was facing a double whammy of running Cumulus 1 on an old laptop running XP.
I have now got MX running on a Model B Raspberry Pi thanks to ExperiMentor's excellent instructions.
I am trying to upload the basic website but seem to have run into the same FTP problems mentioned above.
I have been doing a lot of searching about how to get Cumulus MX, now running on a raspberry Pi, to load to my website now that TShost has discontinued FTP and doesn't support FTPS. I have not had much success.
My options seem to be,
1. Find a solution to SFTP to TShost from the raspberry Pi - beyond my knowledge.
2. Move to a new Windows 10 machine and use Bitvise, as recommended by Richard. This would allow me to continue with Cumulus 1
3. Move to Windows 10 and change webhost - some hosts seem to provide FTPS for Windows but only SFTP for LINUX - and stay with MX.

Any advice would be welcome.
This request may reveal my lack of knowledge on the subject!

Peter
john09cw

Post by john09cw »

I've had a reply from TSOHosting support, Apparently they DO support FTPS, but when connecting we have to "Always trust this certificate in this session", which is something I've seen in Filezilla, but not sure if a way to trust a certificate is in MX. Also the FTP Client must support TLS 1.2, i assume MX is the FTP Client, so can anyone tell me if it does support TLS 1.2?
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

MX does support TLS 1.2 using FTPS by default.

Blindly accepting a certificate is almost as bad as not using encryption at all - you have no idea who you are talking to!
If their certificate is not publicly verifiable (why wouldn't it be?), then I think your only option is to grab their certificate and add in to your trusted hosts certificate store.
I don't want to let MX accept any old untrusted certificate.