Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Data Errors

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
Altocumulus
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 with Solar
Operating System: Windows 10 Home

Data Errors

Post by Altocumulus »

For three hours, last night, my Davis Pro recorded erroneous air temperatures in the minus 67 range - dew/apparent etc all affected.

As at 07:53 this morning the figures don't appear in my dayfile, but have affected the records; no doubt they'll appear at the 0900 change-over..

Is there an easy way to correct these figures?
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Data Errors

Post by RayProudfoot »

Wait until the 0900 rollover and then use the editing feature in Cumulus to correct the erroneous values. From memory you'll need to edit the date records, this month, this year and perhaps all-time records.

The Troubleshooting section here should help with the details. https://cumuluswiki.wxforum.net/a/FAQ
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

Altocumulus

Post by Altocumulus »

RayProudfoot wrote: Wed 13 Nov 2019 9:22 am Wait until the 0900 rollover and then use the editing feature in Cumulus to correct the erroneous values. From memory you'll need to edit the date records, this month, this year and perhaps all-time records.

The Troubleshooting section here should help with the details. https://cumuluswiki.wxforum.net/a/FAQ
Thanks Ray. I've just achieved another record - 74 degrees range!

I really must think about changing to MX....Might be a whole lot easier!?
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

MX fills me with dread. It seems so complicated compared to v1. I’m fortunate in that I rarely get bad data so corrections are rare. Usually it’s the rain records that need adjusting when a leaf blocks the hole and then when you remove it the rainfall rate goes “biblical”. :D
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Hi Ray,
I really must think about changing to MX....Might be a whole lot easier!?
MX fills me with dread. It seems so complicated compared to v1
Different yes and an extra step or two needed to start it and view the dashboard, but I wouldn't say more complicated. And Mark has recently added the All Time Records editor in CumulusMX.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Hi Paul,

What are the disadvantages of staying with C1 compared to the advantages of moving to C2? I have reliable equipment, a rock solid ISP and web host. Cumulus rarely shows the error light.

And presumably my existing website would require changing and I don’t have sufficient skills to do that. I’m not envious of you C2 chaps :D
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

What are the disadvantages of staying with C1 compared to the advantages of moving to C2? I have reliable equipment, a rock solid ISP and web host. Cumulus rarely shows the error light.
And presumably my existing website would require changing and I don’t have sufficient skills to do that. I’m not envious of you C2 chaps
Hi Ray, I didn't want to hijack this data errors post other than to reply to the specific comment on CumulusMX and the newly added All time records editor.
I would gladly share my Cumulus 1 and CumulusMX experiences, yes I use both, in another discussion ;)

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Paul, thanks for the offer but I have no great desire to switch away from C1.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

ExperiMentor
Weather Station: Fine Offset & Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10; Raspbian Buster

Post by ExperiMentor »

A big advantage of CumulusMX is that it will run on a Raspberry Pi Zero W - my system consumes exactly 0.19A at 5.16V = 0.9804W x 8768 hours per year = 8.6 kWh = £1.30/year. {calculation corrected after Ray's post below}
Compared to leaving a PC switched on 24/7, that is a huge saving in energy consumption.

In fact, I think my system is detecting Global Warming as a direct result of you not switching to CumulusMX :bash:
Last edited by ExperiMentor on Fri 15 Nov 2019 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

My Samsung netbook runs with the lid closed 99.9% of the time. I have solar panels so during daylight I generate enough electricity to run it free. Raspberry Pi? Eeek! No thanks. ;)

PS. There are only 8760 hours in a year. 365 * 24 = 8760. ;)
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

Altocumulus

Post by Altocumulus »

Thanks guys - and no worries about hijacking - all good fun!

daytime file easy enough to alter (not through the editor, though, there's no OK save button!).

Trickier, though, is the record files. I don't know the previous figures! Another + I guess for MX 8-)

I'm running on an old 2008 netbook - annoying because it pauses whenever I need to do anything. I'd hope MX doesn't suffer like that! I too have a website that uses the feed from C1 - especially the graphs. I'll ponder.
Altocumulus

Post by Altocumulus »

RayProudfoot wrote: Wed 13 Nov 2019 10:22 am MX fills me with dread. It seems so complicated compared to v1. I’m fortunate in that I rarely get bad data so corrections are rare. Usually it’s the rain records that need adjusting when a leaf blocks the hole and then when you remove it the rainfall rate goes “biblical”. :D
Having spent a while reading the MX instructions, I can sympathise!

It wouldn't be too bad if I could run both side-by-side so that if the MX gets upset at least I won;t have lost any data :D. VP is an option, but that's another set of steps!

I suppose at the worst one could lose a few hours of data if one had to revert back..... :lol:
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Altocumulus,

One way to find the previous record is to import dayfile.txt into Excel and sort by the relevant column. This link shows you the column order.
https://cumuluswiki.wxforum.net/a/Dayfi ... n_the_file

Better still is to import dayfile.txt into an Access database if you have the skills. This screenshot shows how I have over 100 queries so I can see all major records over multiple time periods. Indispensible for me.
Records.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

Altocumulus

Post by Altocumulus »

Ray - thanks - brilliant idea. Access I don't have, but excel yep. Will investigate, there's a few freebie database offerings.
Altocumulus

Post by Altocumulus »

Annoyingly the changes I made to dayfile haven't taken. I couldn't save using the editor, so tried directly via notepad and even though I saved correctly the data hasn't altered....Reading the wiki the records should update according to dayfile (unless I have misinterpreted....)