Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus MX stopping on Rpi ?

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

harrym1byt
Weather Station: WH 1081 (EasyWeather type)
Operating System: Win10

Cumulus MX stopping on Rpi ?

Post by harrym1byt »

I have had Cumulus MX running absolutely fine on my Raspberry pi, that is until recently when its web page began producing an error. Reboot the Rpi by power cycling, or via remote command - it resumes operation and I can access the pages for a few minutes to a few hours.

I connect the Rpi to my LAN via 5GHz wifi. Even when I cannot access Cumulus and can still ping the Rpi and I can connect to the Rpi using VNC. Rpi is connected to my FO station by USB and the station itself works fine and continues to update, even when Cumulus is not accessible.

The micro-SD card I'm using in the Rpi has plenty of unused memory. Has anyone come across this problem please?
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Cumulus MX stopping on Rpi ?

Post by mcrossley »

Do your MXdiags files show any issues?
zip up the folder so we can take a look.
harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

Though I can log into it with VNC, I have managed to muck up the screen resolution so as to make it unreadable at the moment, so I cannot even change it in VNC.

I'm not familiar enough with SSH do sort it via that either.
harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

That's odd...

I have just checked http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstat ... D=ILEEDS62

..and despite not being able to load Cumulus's web page locally via my LAN, Cumulus is continuing to update wunderground..
ExperiMentor
Weather Station: Fine Offset & Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10; Raspbian Buster

Post by ExperiMentor »

I'm not quite sure why, but I'm worried you might have a corrupted or failing SD card.
Make a backup while you can.
harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

I am thinking maybe the same, but its odd how despite Cumulus's webpage failing - Cumulus is obviously still running on the Rpi and it is able to continue to update Wunderground.

I am looking to pull the microSD out anyway, to try to sort out the mess I have made of the screen resolution - its completely unusable at the moment with VNC.
ExperiMentor

Post by ExperiMentor »

Learn to use a little SSH (via PuTTY) when you do. It's exactly the same as the BASH command line but done from the comfort of your PC (and you can Copy/Paste instead of re-typing things). My thread viewtopic.php?f=27&t=16931 goes through complete RPi setup using SSH.

You web interface not working is likely just one or more of the template pages having become corrupted. The question is how that happened as nothing should be writing to them. You could just correct them, but I'm worried about the underlying cause. Similar corruption in a program file would likely cause a program or even system crash.

I once had an SD card that worked fine until the Pi was rebooted. Then everything that has supposedly been written to the card, actually had not been written (must have been held in a RAM buffer??). That was bu**er to diagnose!
harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

I have just spent a few days on this, but now I'm stumped and looking for help please....

Win10 was complaining there was a problem with the SD card, so I copied everything off it as best I could, tried to get Win10 to fix it, but I got in a mess writing the code back.

Then Win32diskimage stopped working at all, it would not even load itself at all. Tried deleting it, redownloading and installing - nothing. It would load up if I removed the microSDcard, but one reinserted it would not see the card.

I then tried used Etcher to write Dazza's image from last year onto another card and that worked.

Plugged the Pi into my wired LAN it seemed to boot up, I found it on my LAN at 220, then tried to log in via SSH. It asked for a password so I tried various guesses at my usual passwords for such things, also tried raspberry and pi. nothing that I tried worked.. Should it have gone back to a default password, or the password I set up?

C:\Users\Harry>ssh 10.131.97.220
harry@10.131.97.220's password:
Permission denied, please try again.
harry@10.131.97.220: Permission denied (publickey,password).

I also tried to log in with VNC, but that was completely rejected with a 'connection refused'.
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

harrym1byt wrote: Tue 19 Nov 2019 3:21 pmC:\Users\Harry>ssh 10.131.97.220
harry@10.131.97.220's password:
Permission denied, please try again.
harry@10.131.97.220: Permission denied (publickey,password).
Have a try typing in this:

Code: Select all

ssh pi@10.131.97.220
You were trying to log in to your pi as user "harry" which won't work unless you have a user "harry" on your Pi. You will still get asked for a password but the default one (I believe it is "pi") will work.
Freddie
harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

Hi,

No progress as yet, because got it into a bit of a mess...

I managed to damage the rather fragile power socket of the Rpi, I tried to replace it with a new socket, but it is too fine soldering work for me, so I decided to feed power in via the header pin 2 and 6 - that was today's fix.

Next my weather station decided to refuse to transmit, I have not got to investigating that issue yet its far too wet out there.

I set up gazza's(?) software on a fresh memory card, but it claimed there was no wifi interface on the card.

Just putting a blank card in the Rpi it installs the latest OS and the wifi works fine with that.
ExperiMentor

Post by ExperiMentor »

Need to take this slow and steady - I fear you're getting confused.

A blank SD card in a Raspberry Pi will do absolutely nothing. So I think you mean a newly created card - but what did you put on it?

The default username is pi
and default password is raspberry
Not the other way round!

Windows will ALWAYS report an error if you a raspberry Pi SD card in. The Pi creates two partitons (sections) on the card. There is a small one that Windows can read and write, and a large one that Linux (Raspbian) uses, but Widows reports that one as faulty. If you let Windows try to "fix" it, it will be destroyed. Your data will have been deleted. You will then need to use SDCard Formatter and start again with a new Raspbian image.

If you want to learn a bit about how your Pi works, try following the instructions I linked above.
If you just want to start without learning, Andreas has added some downloadable card images that you can install in the same way as (but instead of) the official empty Raspbian card images.
harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

I know I'm getting very confused by it all, it seems the hardware is conspiring against me :-)

Have you a link to these please? - 'Andreas has added some downloadable card images...'