Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

CumulusMX - new install 'standard' web page

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

oldeflyer
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Raspberry Pi 4 Bookworm Linux

CumulusMX - new install 'standard' web page

Post by oldeflyer »

New MX user, old 1.9.4 user. Using a WH-1081 station. Found out the Cumulus software had been updated so I thought I'd give it a try.

Just unzipped the most recent stable distro and started the web server per getting started post. I am using the supplied default web page and do not see the Lat and Long or the location.
The settings tab does not do anything when opening the Location link.
The settings tab does open data entry boxes for the Lat and Long but it doesn't appear to be using them.

Two request (for now :-))s:
What is the default page supposed to look like?
How do i get the Location entered?
Phil23
Weather Station: Davis VP2+ & GW1000 (Standalone)
Operating System: Win10 Pro / rPi Buster

Re: CumulusMX - new install 'standard' web page

Post by Phil23 »

Default page looks pretty much like this..... http://weather.inverellit.com/index.htm

The moon in an extra.

In the settings are you clicking each arrow to expand the Lat & Long from under location?
:Now: :Today/Yesterday:

Main Station Davis VP2+ Running Via Win10 Pro.
Secondary Stations, Ecowitt HP2551/GW1000 Via rPi 3 & 4 Running Buster GUI.
:Local Inverell Ecowitt Station: :Remote Ashford Ecowitt Station:
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

Do you mean the main setup page in the CumulusMX frontend.

If you do this is accessed by booting up your browser of choice and entering the URL http://your machines IP address:8998 e.g. http://192.168.1.20:8998.

The MX interface will open in the browser and you hen go to Settings to enter the Lat / Long.
David
oldeflyer

Post by oldeflyer »

Thanks for the replies.
Phil, my default page looks nothing like your page, which I like BTW.
It is a black background, light colored text and some REALLY big blocks for data output. After searching for an unrelated topic I found an image of the page that is first displayed for CumulusMX. So I guess the Firefox browser is displaying what it is supposed to.

water, I researched how to get to the settings page so I'm pretty sure I've got that right.

After several hours of reading on this board and about HTML and CSS, I realize that what I want to see doesn't seem to be coded into the IndexT.htm page. So the page is displaying properly except for the 'null' word right below the sun/moon data. I think something is missing there.

What I was really hoping for was some way to get my opening page to look similar to the 1.9.4 dashboard. All the time, date, hours of sun, etc.. at the top? Already found a couple of moon phase references in the forum that I'm looking at.

I have NO HTML or CSS experience so if I want that stuff I'll have to learn how to put it there myself.

Again, thanks for the replies.

Wayne
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

What you are describing is the Admin interface for seeing what CMX is doing and configuring it etc, not the web interface.

The null for rise/set times is probably because you have not configured the latitude and and longitude.
oldeflyer

Post by oldeflyer »

Mark,
Ahh, I have seen in other places that you recommend against changing the Admin interface.
So, to get a 1.9.4 looking page I need to build a web page from scratch?
Are there any other pages in the distro that I could start at?

The Sunrise/Sunset and Moon rise/Moon set times do show up. I did enter my Lat & Long. The word 'null' appears just below those.

Thanks,
Wayne
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Did you reuse the cumulus.ini file from version 1?

The standard web page is set up much the same as Cumulus 1 and looks very similar too. The wiki has an article on how to do it.
oldeflyer

Post by oldeflyer »

Read that wiki before. Changing the lower case 'c" to upper and putting in place of the MX one. Didn't think that was what needed doing. I will give that a try, thanks.

Wayne
oldeflyer

Post by oldeflyer »

Update:
No difference using the 1.9.4 Cumulus.ini file. Still the black console page.
From my reading, I thought the Cumulus.ini file was just the location of the config settings?
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

oldeflyer wrote: Mon 04 Nov 2019 8:18 pm Ahh, I have seen in other places that you recommend against changing the Admin interface.
No, MX comes with the standard web site the same as Version 1 - you upload the \webfiles folder contents manually as a one off and then enable web updates in MX after defining your FTP site/user/folder.
oldeflyer wrote: Mon 04 Nov 2019 8:18 pm The Sunrise/Sunset and Moon rise/Moon set times do show up. I did enter my Lat & Long. The word 'null' appears just below those.
You mean on the main dashboard page?
A null there indicates that the forecast string is not available, either because the station is not providing one, or if you have configured Cumulus to provide the forecast, it hasn't been running long enough to have sufficient data to provide a forecast yet.
oldeflyer wrote: Wed 06 Nov 2019 2:31 am No difference using the 1.9.4 Cumulus.ini file. Still the black console page.
From my reading, I thought the Cumulus.ini file was just the location of the config settings?
I asked because if you do there are a number of things in the file you to manually edit for MX. If you are starting from scratch then ignore.

I think need to zip up your MXdiags folder so we can take a look, it is hard to determine exactly what is working and what is broken.
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

mcrossley wrote: Wed 06 Nov 2019 12:18 pm
oldeflyer wrote: Mon 04 Nov 2019 8:18 pm Ahh, I have seen in other places that you recommend against changing the Admin interface.
No, MX comes with the standard web site the same as Version 1 - you upload the \webfiles folder contents manually as a one off and then enable web updates in MX after defining your FTP site/user/folder.
I think @oldeflyer is wanting to change his interface page so that it looks like the Cumulus 1 GUI. I may be wrong on this point, of course :D
Freddie
oldeflyer

Post by oldeflyer »

freddie,
You are correct. I DID want to change the interface page.
That was before I learned several things about the Cumulus program.
The title of my post now is utterly misleading.

Through reading on this forum and via some VERY informative PMs, I have learned:

1. Cumulus 1.9.4 executable that I am running/displaying is in fact just the console for the program and can be used to supply information to an external web page. 1.9.4 console is not a web page. (Although there are web pages supplied.)

2. I have never seen the Cumulus 1.9.4 'web' page from my computer. (I thought what I was seeing was a 'web' page displayed by the program, somehow)

3. CumulusMX is just a server and has no visible console like 1.9.4, just the Command prompt window. You must access the server information (console) via a web browser. It also does NOT display a Cumulus 'web' page. It DOES display the console as an html.

If I want to see any Cumulus 'web' pages I need to get a web server or web host, move some files around and FTP some data/files to the server. Then I would connect to the web server to see the Cumulus web pages.

Does this sound correct?
I would love ANY comments about this synopsis and where to start trying to see some of my data on a 'real' Cumulus 'web' page.

Thanks
Wayne