Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

FTP issue on RPI

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

franmiele
Weather Station: Davis
Operating System: Debian Buster

FTP issue on RPI

Post by franmiele »

I have installed CumulusMX 3052 and have mono, Mono JIT compiler version 5.18.0.240 (Debian 5.18.0.240+dfsg-3 Sat Apr 20 05:16:08 UTC 2019), on Debian Buster. I also had the same issue when running CumulusMX ver 5051

I cannot connect to my hosting site.

I have tried port 21 and 22 also with active FTP and without. Nothing works

I have the same setup on a win10 system and it works fine. When I use a program like WINSCP on my win10 system I have to use SFTP, but the Cumulusmx works fine.

I have attached the ftp log but don't know what else you need to try to resolve this issue.
ftplog.txt
I think there may be a bug in CumulusMX that rears its head on the RaspberryPI setup

Fran
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fran
Hardware= RPI 2
Debian10 (Buster)
Mono 5.18
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: FTP issue on RPI

Post by mcrossley »

CumulusMX is trying to connect to an IPv6 address, is that expected?

If you need to connect to an IPv4 address, then you could try disabling IPv6 in debian, or enter the IP address into the config rather than a hostname.
franmiele

Post by franmiele »

mcrossley wrote: Sat 14 Sep 2019 6:40 pm CumulusMX is trying to connect to an IPv6 address, is that expected?

If you need to connect to an IPv4 address, then you could try disabling IPv6 in debian, or enter the IP address into the config rather than a hostname.
No , I am not supposed to be going to a IPv6 address. When I ping the host name from my PC i get 2607:f1c0:1000:8a:3669:b738:6e03:500b coming back.

While I ma trying re3spolve this issue I have lftp running and it connects fine from the RaspberryPI to the same host name.

I did disable IPv6 in Debian.

Still cannot connect.
Fran
Hardware= RPI 2
Debian10 (Buster)
Mono 5.18
franmiele

Post by franmiele »

mcrossley wrote: Sat 14 Sep 2019 6:40 pm CumulusMX is trying to connect to an IPv6 address, is that expected?

I don't know if this is of any use but I just looked at the ftp log from when I used my win10 machine and found this is the log. My win10 system ftp'd fine using the same host name:

# Connect()
Status: Connecting to 2607:f1c0:1000:8a:3669:b738:6e03:500b:21
Response: 220 FTP Server ready.
Command: USER xxxxxxxxx
Response: 331 Password required for xxxxxx
Command: PASS ***
Response: 230 User xxxxxxxx logged in
Command: FEAT
Response: 500 'FEAT': command unrecognized.
Command: SYST
Response: 215 UNIX Type: L8
Fran
Hardware= RPI 2
Debian10 (Buster)
Mono 5.18
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

So that tried to connect using IPv6 and failed, then tried using IPv4 and worked.

What does the FTP log look like on your rPi now you have disabled IPv6?
franmiele

Post by franmiele »

mcrossley wrote: Fri 20 Sep 2019 10:03 am So that tried to connect using IPv6 and failed, then tried using IPv4 and worked.

It looks that way.

The log with IPv6 disabled looks that same as it did before it was disabled. i really think there is something wrong the cumulus FTP on a RPI.
ftplog.txt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fran
Hardware= RPI 2
Debian10 (Buster)
Mono 5.18
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

franmiele wrote: Fri 20 Sep 2019 2:55 pm
mcrossley wrote: Fri 20 Sep 2019 10:03 am So that tried to connect using IPv6 and failed, then tried using IPv4 and worked.

The log with IPv6 disabled looks that same as it did before it was disabled.
If IPV6 really was disabled then you wouldn't be getting attempted connections to IPV6 addresses.
Freddie
franmiele

Post by franmiele »

freddie wrote: Fri 20 Sep 2019 7:28 pm
franmiele wrote: Fri 20 Sep 2019 2:55 pm

The log with IPv6 disabled looks that same as it did before it was disabled.
If IPV6 really was disabled then you wouldn't be getting attempted connections to IPV6 addresses.
It says it's disabled.
Capture.JPG
Fran
Hardware= RPI 2
Debian10 (Buster)
Mono 5.18
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

Did you reboot? If IPV6 really is disabled then your DNS resolver won't give you IPV6 addresses to connect to, as the concept of IPV6 will be unknown to the OS.
Freddie
franmiele

Post by franmiele »

freddie wrote: Fri 20 Sep 2019 7:59 pm Did you reboot? If IPV6 really is disabled then your DNS resolver won't give you IPV6 addresses to connect to, as the concept of IPV6 will be unknown to the OS.
Yes sir, I did. St5ill not working
Fran
Hardware= RPI 2
Debian10 (Buster)
Mono 5.18
ExperiMentor
Weather Station: Fine Offset & Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10; Raspbian Buster

Post by ExperiMentor »

I found this elsewhere - suggests that disabling IPV6 in the kernel will not disable it for applications.
Configuring IPv6 support in the kernel and user space applications are separate. Settings such as

net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6
net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6
etc.

set IPv6 kernel support but applications will try to use IPv6 regardless if configured to do so. Whatever program is generating those syslog error entries will need to have its own settings adjusted.
From: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... ?p=1066111

If you Google 'disable IPV6 raspberry Pi' you'll find plenty links and suggestions - looks like many have struggled with similar. And there are many other suggestions of how to disble beyond the tick box in the GUI.
franmiele

Post by franmiele »

ExperiMentor wrote: Mon 23 Sep 2019 10:26 pm I found this elsewhere - suggests that disabling IPV6 in the kernel will not disable it for applications.
Configuring IPv6 support in the kernel and user space applications are separate. Settings such as

net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6
net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6
etc.

set IPv6 kernel support but applications will try to use IPv6 regardless if configured to do so. Whatever program is generating those syslog error entries will need to have its own settings adjusted.
From: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... ?p=1066111

If you Google 'disable IPV6 raspberry Pi' you'll find plenty links and suggestions - looks like many have struggled with similar. And there are many other suggestions of how to disble beyond the tick box in the GUI.
You guys are awesome! That did it! Thank you VERY much.
Fran
Hardware= RPI 2
Debian10 (Buster)
Mono 5.18
ExperiMentor
Weather Station: Fine Offset & Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10; Raspbian Buster

Post by ExperiMentor »

franmiele wrote: Fri 20 Sep 2019 7:52 pm It says it's disabled.

Capture.JPG

Just noticed that in the screenshot you posted above, it shows you've disable IPv6 for interface eth0. If you're connected using WiFi, you'd need to switch to a different tab first. Just wondering if that's what's been wrong all along ...
franmiele

Post by franmiele »

ExperiMentor wrote: Thu 26 Sep 2019 7:03 pm
franmiele wrote: Fri 20 Sep 2019 7:52 pm It says it's disabled.

Capture.JPG

Just noticed that in the screenshot you posted above, it shows you've disable IPv6 for interface eth0. If you're connected using WiFi, you'd need to switch to a different tab first. Just wondering if that's what's been wrong all along ...
Thanks for the response but the issue has been resolved.
Fran
Hardware= RPI 2
Debian10 (Buster)
Mono 5.18