Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

My station's tweets to Twitter have stopped completely

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
hungerdunger
Weather Station: Maplin N96GY (WH-1081)
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

My station's tweets to Twitter have stopped completely

Post by hungerdunger »

I realise that there has been a problem with sending tweets from within the Cumulus program for some time (due I believe to some changes enforced by Twitter), but nevertheless it still managed to send a few each day.

However, I have just looked back and can see that no tweets have been sent since 29th July. Is anyone here still using the Twitter option in Cumulus? If so, what's the situation with you ? Do you know why no tweets are being sent and is the situation likely to be permanent?
Capel Dewi (Carmarthen) Weather Station:
https://twitter.com/CapelDewiWeathr
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: My station's tweets to Twitter have stopped completely

Post by freddie »

I looked into this a couple of weeks ago, and the only change on the Twitter side is that they require tweets to be submitted using TLS version 1.2 and above from that date. I don't know whether or not Cumulus uses TLS 1.2 - I am assuming not - but as I know the Cumulus Twitter functionality is basically broken (in that it doesn't use a per-user API key, so will be severely rate-limited) I didn't look any further into it.
Freddie
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Just noticed that my Cumulus Tweets are also not being sent, but every-hour tweet through Weathercloud is working http://www.twitter.com/KomokaWeather

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

I'd use a third party app for sending tweets from Cumulus (like twurl maybe), twitter is broken and cannot be fixed in Cumulus 1.

It's broken in MX too, but may be fixed there at some point.
THX
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by THX »

It's broken in Cumulus 1.9.4 (Build 1099) as well...

After 136,600 Tweets, it was a good ride...
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

THX wrote: Mon 09 Sep 2019 8:49 pm It's broken in Cumulus 1.9.4 (Build 1099) as well...

After 136,600 Tweets, it was a good ride...
That is what Mark said "twitter is broken and cannot be fixed in Cumulus 1."!!
David
johnwh46
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH2081
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by johnwh46 »

Given that Cumulus posts to Twitter are a problem, can we extract a string of the format specified by twitter.txt for our own use - email, send ourselves to twitter etc? Running CumulusMX on a headless Raspberry Pi at a remote location with internet access. Yes I can email myself realtimeguages.txt from the RPi but not exactly what I want. Run a cron job to jump in, extract the string and do what we want to with it?
ExperiMentor
Weather Station: Fine Offset & Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10; Raspbian Buster

Post by ExperiMentor »

You can certainly achieve this in CumulusMX (why not switch over to the maintained program??). I've not used Cumulus 1 for years but expect it can do the same.

All you need to do is tell Cumulus to 'Process' the twitter.txt template file (or indeed any other file you want), then pick up the output (processed) file in which all the webtags have been converted.

In CumulusMX this is done via the web interface, Settings tab, Extra Web Files item. Set as follows:
Local filename: twitter.txt
Remote filename: tweet.txt ... or whatever you want. If you don't specify otherwise, it will appear in the same directory as twitter.txt.
Tick the boxes for 'Process' and 'Realtime' and the output file will be kept up to date every few seconds, always ready for you to tweet, email or use as a ticker on your webpage.

The following in twitter.txt is about as much as can be squeezed into the characters available:

Code: Select all

<#shortdayname> <#hour><#minute>: <#forecast>. <#temp>C (app: <#apptemp>C). Wind <#wdir> <#wspeed><#windunit>. Rain <#rfall><#rainunit>. Humidity <#hum>%. <#press><#pressunit> <#presstrend>
I have attached my Python script that tweets this (every 15 min by cron job) together with a picture snagged from my weather webcam.
TweetFromPi.py .txt
And the resulting Tweets appear at: https://twitter.com/LiesbergDorf

Good luck!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.