Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

New hosting advice

Other discussion about creating web sites for Cumulus that doesn't have a specific subforum

Moderator: daj

aduncan
Weather Station: Weathereye WEA22
Operating System: Win7

New hosting advice

Post by aduncan »

Cumulus has been running fine for a long time with a slightly altered standard website,but recently I've had problems with uploading data to the hosting service. It has got to the stage that the hosting service seem to have lost interest. I'm sure it would be a different story if I was paying a lot of money for the service!

The upshot is I am quietly looking for another hosting company, one which would have patience with a website novice. I'm fine with pcs and home networking, but I'm lost at the word "domain".

Can anyone reccomend a friendly and moderately priced hosting service?

Andrew
forestedge
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus DFARS
Operating System: Windows 10 64 bit

Re: New hosting advice

Post by forestedge »

Hi Andrew

I changed my webhost late last year as I was dissatisfied with the website load times, despite good support their infrastructure was creaking. After reading many reviews and comparing their technical specs I decided to stay with a UK based host using ssd storage and picked https://www.bestwebhosting.co.uk/. They also operate for business use as Krystal.

They manged the transfer of my website and provided excellent online support. I saw a massive improvement in my page response times and any issues or queries have been quickly resolved. Rather than offer unlimited storage which can be abused a minority of users to the detriment of everyone else, you pick the package for your needs. I pay £4.79 month for up to 5gb of disk space which should be more than ample for a personal Cumulus website.
odintheterrible
Weather Station: Brandson 304577 & GW1000
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Post by odintheterrible »

Hi,
I've been using iFastnet.com for ages ... excellent up times and great support.
Bonus is that they also do a pay monthly plan which I established using my Paypal account.
"Qui Custodit Ipsos Custodes ? ..."

Duct Tape is like 'The Force' ... it has a 'Light Side' AND a 'Dark Side' and it binds the Universe together !
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

I chose HostPresto based in the UK. They've been great and even helped with some code I was struggling with. £24 per annum. Strongly recommended. https://hostpresto.com
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

aduncan
Weather Station: Weathereye WEA22
Operating System: Win7

Post by aduncan »

Thank you for the recomendations. Being of a parsimonius nature, this was going to a last option, having recently paid £45 odd for the next 2 years. I decided to ask politely if my level of payment did not justify any more support. That seemed to strike a chord, they have been very good since, and my problem is now cured. They whitelisted my IP no on their firewall, and all is now well

I'll see how it goes for the rest of the contract!

Andrew
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

A kick up the backside often works wonders! :D At least you have a fall-back should you not want to start a new contract.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.