Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

That old chestnut ... Fine Offset 'USB Lockup' !!!

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

odintheterrible
Weather Station: Brandson 304577 & GW1000
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

That old chestnut ... Fine Offset 'USB Lockup' !!!

Post by odintheterrible »

Greetings one and all,

Apologies in advance for raising this old chestnut AGAIN ... but the Fine Offset 'USB Lockup' issue is driving me to distraction!

I'm currently running 'Cumulus MX 3.0.0 b3050' and in the Station Settings > Options > Synchronise Fine Offset reads (Work around for Fine Offset console USB lockup problem) ... I have it ticked.

However, despite this, the station continues to be plagued with Lockups ... sometimes once a day, sometimes none at all, sometimes 3, 4 or 5 times a day ! I've tried swapping USB cables; moving the location of the Rx unit and every other variable that I can think of ... and still it is happening.

I contacted http://www.foshk.com/ (Shenzhen Fine Offset Electronics Co., Ltd.) about the problem but they continue to ignore all comments relating to the issue; instead choosing to advise upgrading to their latest offerings: GW1001 SmartHub WiFi Gateway with indoor Tmeperatuer, Humidity & Pressure and outdoor 7-in-1 Solar Powered Wireless Weather Station

Code: Select all

http://www.foshk.com/Wifi_Weather_Station/GW1001.html
or the WH6006 2G/3G GPRS weather station ... all of which is a bit rich if u ask me !!!!!

Bottom line here is; has anyone found a way to minimise/eliminate this problem as the option in the current version of MX certainly hasn't done anything for my installation.

Thanks
"Qui Custodit Ipsos Custodes ? ..."

Duct Tape is like 'The Force' ... it has a 'Light Side' AND a 'Dark Side' and it binds the Universe together !
SunDial
Weather Station: OS WMR928N
Operating System: OPi Armbian 5.75 Ubuntu Bionic

Re: That old chestnut ... Fine Offset 'USB Lockup' !!!

Post by SunDial »

Hi,
I'm currently running 'Cumulus MX 3.0.0 b3050' and in the Station Settings > Options > Synchronise Fine Offset reads (Work around for Fine Offset console USB lockup problem) ... I have it ticked.
Does the frequency of lock-ups change between having the Cumulus setting on and off or dos it make no difference?

Have you enabled debug logging to see if anything shows up in the log?
odintheterrible

Thanks for taking the time to contribute.
No, ticking and unticking the box has, as far as I can make out, little or no difference to the frequency of the lockup. The problem is, that the 'frequency' is random.

Nothing shows up in the debug file. :(( ... the debug file itself isn't now showing either !!!
Last edited by odintheterrible on Fri 12 Jul 2019 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Duct Tape is like 'The Force' ... it has a 'Light Side' AND a 'Dark Side' and it binds the Universe together !
Super-T
Weather Station: wh-1081
Operating System: Weather Laptop - Windows 10 Pro

Post by Super-T »

Have you tried dismantling and re-soldering the USB Socket in the Console?
odintheterrible

Super-T wrote: Thu 11 Jul 2019 10:36 pm Have you tried dismantling and re-soldering the USB Socket in the Console?
Hi, Thanks for the input. As far as I am aware, this whole nonsense revolves around a change that was made some time back to the chip set that the consoles were and are now using ... I may be wrong, but that is my understanding.

I've had this 'issue' ever since I started using the new weather station (WS3083) and after reporting the problem to the supplier, they sent a couple of replacements which haven't resolved the problem. However, as I do have a spare unit, I might just give it a go and see if it helps ... but I'm not convinced that it will achieve anything.

uncle_bob
Weather Station: WeatherDuino Pro2
Operating System: 2008

Post by uncle_bob »

You need two things to fix this:

1) Image
This is where you need to house the Fine Offset transmitter and receiver.

2) Then take a read here https://wiki.weatherduino.com/or in my sig

Sorry to be bunt and make jokes, but these things are rubbish, but the wind and rain sensors do work (because they're simple).
Interested in building your own Weather Station? Maybe check out the WeatherDuino Pro Project Here
Conder, Canberra Weather
odintheterrible

Agreed! But like every thing else in life, I hate being had over... esp by our cousins from the other side of the planet!

odintheterrible

uncle_bob wrote: Fri 12 Jul 2019 11:50 am You need two things to fix this:

1) Image
This is where you need to house the Fine Offset transmitter and receiver.

2) Then take a read here https://wiki.weatherduino.com/or in my sig

Sorry to be bunt and make jokes, but these things are rubbish, but the wind and rain sensors do work (because they're simple).
Always interested in a 'project'... I'll have a look when I get home and check it out 👍😁😉

Super-T
Weather Station: wh-1081
Operating System: Weather Laptop - Windows 10 Pro

Post by Super-T »

Agreed that the 3083's are crap. I had a couple of 3083's replaced and then went back to 1081. Occasional lockup....maybe once in 6 months, and spikes in temperature of < 1degree which I just erase the line for them.