Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

RPi zero (W), mono and Illegal instruction

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

vr34
Weather Station: Bresser WLAN 7-in-1 (7003300)
Operating System: Raspberry OS Bullseye, CumulusMX

RPi zero (W), mono and Illegal instruction

Post by vr34 »

Hi,
With my RPi3b there is no problem to run CumulusMX with mono (version 4.0.5) and a fine offset WS: :D http://les.matelles.free.fr/meteo/

I would like to set up another fine offset WS with a RPi zero W. I installed mono 4.0.5 but the RPi answers "Illegal instruction" to "mono -V" whereas my RPi3b answers "Mono JIT compiler version 4.0.5..."
Same answer with mono version 3.10.
Search on the web gives an explanation: "It usually says "Illegal instruction" if you try to run a Pi3 binary on a Pi Zero."
If my RPi zero is in this case, do you know where I can download precompiled of mono 3.10 (or 4.0.5) for PiZero not for Pi3? or where to download sources and how to compile them?

Thanks by advance for your answer
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: RPi zero (W), mono and Illegal instruction

Post by mcrossley »

As far as I know it should work, I know other people have run MX on Pi zero.

A similar question here, they just started again with a fresh Rasbian image install and it all worked.

Depending what else you are asking it to do, you may find the zero may be a bit stretched.
vr34

Post by vr34 »

Thank you mcrossley for your answer
But I did it 3 times: download a new img (stretch lite) install it on a microsd card, create ssh and wpa_supplicant.conf on the boot partition. Then by SSH, update and upgrade, install mono 3.10 (or 4.0.5.1-0xamarin0). Each time, the same result: "Illegal instruction" at mono -V or mono --version
vr34

Post by vr34 »

I found the solution:
Among the multiple steps to setup the RPi zero W to work with mono and CumulusMX, at each time I changed the localisation options in raspi-config.
It seems it generated an "Illegal instruction" error for mono 3.1 or 4.0.5. This forth time I changed only the password of pi in raspi-config. Now mono is working well :P
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Hmm, maybe the version of Mono that is available for the Pi Zero does not have additional locales coded?