Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Rain value problem

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

f4phlyer
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: RaspBerry Pi Win 10 OSx

Rain value problem

Post by f4phlyer »

Just installed build #3050 and noticed that the yearly and monthly rain totals were incorrect. The values would be "yesterday's" values. I reinstalled build 3049 and all is back to normal.
Just wanted to post this and see if anyone else has had the problem. I'll wait to 3051 and see what happens.
retreat at augusta pines weather
CumulusMX on Raspberry π rPi5
http://augusta-pines-weather.com / CumulusMX 4.0.0 build:4017
WeatherUnderground KTXSPRIN538
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Rain value problem

Post by mcrossley »

Steve, are you saying that it is not adding on any rain so far today?

I've had another look and cannot see at the moment how the 3050 changes would change anything, they were only to do with reading from the log file. The results of which are written to the diags log...

"Rainthismonth from dayfile.txt: xxx"
"Rainthisyear from dayfile.txt: xxx"

These would be "yesterdays" values because that is all that is in the dayfile, today's rain is added in separately and that code is not changed.

Could you post the MXdiags file from 3050 starting, and then 3049 starting afterwards please.
f4phlyer

Post by f4phlyer »

Mark, thanks for the response. I had put off doing any trouble shooting but looking at the logs I think I've spotted the issue. The logs for 3050 can't go past the rain computation as it finds an error in dayfile at line 1492 (which was back in 2015). Before I discovered the "separator" issue I had tried troubleshooting the 'incorrect format' to no avail, but then looking further and going back and comparing the beginning of the MXlog when the "separators" are defined I found the 3050 "separators" are contained in 'brackets' but in 3049 there are no brackets.
If you need any additional logs or anything else let me know
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

So have you fixed the dayfile entry at line 1492?

I suspect that 3050 may work once the dayfile is sorted out.

As the error only occurs in 3050 and not 3049 I suspect the problem is the date format is incorrect in that a different separator was used for some entries.
Build 3049 uses fixed offsets to find day, month, year. Build 3050 uses the separators defined by the OS to split the values (so allowing for multi-character separators), but it does mean it will be sensitive to the separator value changing.
f4phlyer

Post by f4phlyer »

Mark, thanks again for the help. I must have missed something as I was making the corrections on the dayfile.txt located in the top directory/folder. Not sure when it was moved to the "data" folder but the last entry was Feb 2, 2019. I'm guessing I did a build update around that time. Correcting the delimiter fixed the problem.