Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

CumulusMX moving historical data to a new machine

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

Chapel
Weather Station: Instromet
Operating System: Raspbian

CumulusMX moving historical data to a new machine

Post by Chapel »

My CumulusMX install is now running on a Raspberry Pi3 and looking good, however I now have 2019 rain almanac figures that only reflect the last 24 hours or so that the new machine has been running. Is it possible to copy the relevant data files from my old Win10 box to the RPi to recover the data or does it come from somewhere else?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Re: CumulusMX moving historical data to a new machine

Post by water01 »

If you want to run Cumulus MX with your existing Cumulus data, take a copy of your existing Cumulus directory, and then unzip Cumulus MX into it. Alternatively, you can unzip Cumulus MX into new directory first, and then copy over your existing data files and your Cumulus.ini file, and any other configuration files that you may have created (e.g. strings.ini, twitter.txt etc). If your Cumulus.ini is actually called "cumulus.ini" you should rename it to start with a capital letter.
I assume you are not using decimal commas as you are in the UK, but if you are as per the Wiki
◾If you use non-English settings, comma decimals etc, you will experience problems on Linux/OS X with Mono version 3.2.8 (e.g. on Raspberry Pi). But see the item further down about incompatible Mono versions
◾If you want to use your Cumulus 1 data with MX, and you use decimal commas, you will need to edit the .ini files to change the decimal commas into periods/full stops. The other data files will be OK.
David
Chapel

Post by Chapel »

OK, thank you for that, I have now copied the files over. I was trying to restore the year to date and month rainfall on the Weather34 display however it still displays zero and it should be around 118mm right now.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

In your Cumulus.ini file you should have an entry under the "Station" section called StartDate. Mine looks like this:

Code: Select all

StartDate=08 April 2019
Does yours contain a date early enough such that your earlier records get included?
Freddie
Chapel

Post by Chapel »

Yes there is a disparity between the old and new files, the old being August 2018 and the new April 2019. I had not copied the file over as there are several differences in the new station setup and as it is sort of working I did not want to break it again!

One thing I have noticed is the old build 3043 has a \CumulusMX\CU folder that holds rainfall information whereas the new one does not have this file (Yet maybe?)

So I could either edit the .ini file to the earlier date and/or copy the \CU folder across to the RPi box.
/d

freddie

Post by freddie »

I don't have a CU folder, and don't think I ever have. It's worth editing the ini file to reflect the true start of your records. I would stop Cumulus before doing this, though.
Freddie
Chapel

Post by Chapel »

Right, the date has been changed and the box restarted and I still do not have the Almanac updated.

Are you running a Windows or Linux box? I am curious about the \CU folder I have on my Win10 box
/d

freddie

Post by freddie »

Linux.
Freddie
Chapel

Post by Chapel »

Do you have any rain related files in any of your folders?
/d

freddie

Post by freddie »

As far as I know, all data is stored in the monthly data files - i.e. Apr19log.txt - in the data folder.
Freddie
Chapel

Post by Chapel »

Hmm.. I have all of those in place now, they are just not being called to the screen.
/d

freddie

Post by freddie »

None of your almanac figures look correct - not even yesterday. I'm unfamiliar with the template you are using. Is the file used to display the figures being generated and uploaded okay?
Freddie
Chapel

Post by Chapel »

I think it is OK as the template is actually still on the web server as opposed to local machine.
/d

freddie

Post by freddie »

Chapel wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2019 7:06 pm I think it is OK as the template is actually still on the web server as opposed to local machine.
Okay, I will have to dip out at this point, as I don't know which file is used by the template to read the data. If you could find this out and then check that it is being correctly generated and transmitted to your web server, then I think you will be on the way to solving your problem. You could check your local interface that the rainfall data is correct - then you will know that Cumulus is processing the data correctly, and that the fault lies where I have highlighted above.
Freddie
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

I am trying to understand the issue. CumulusMX unzip does not and never had a Cumulusmx/CU folder.
However the Weather34 HomeWeather PWS template for Cumulus is often identified as CU in the download and unzip folder.
That PWS template gets current conditions from Cumulus realtime.txt and historical from your Weather Underground station data for year and current month.

From your webpage link it looks like your template version is 2018 and you may wish to update to the latest version as maintained by Ken True (Saratoga WX)

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm