Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Static IP Setup for VP2

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
bretanhaii
Weather Station: Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows Vista

Static IP Setup for VP2

Post by bretanhaii »

I think this question should be easy to answer but so far I have`nt found anything here or on other forums - so here goes...

My VP2 sensor suite sends its data to my website through a Weather Envoy that is connected to a router with the WLIP connector. The Cumulus 1.8.9 station setup asks for an IP address. I assumed that I could assign a static IP address to the WLIP connector but that functionality does not appear to be in WeatherLink 5.9.2 (the software that came with the connector). So I assigned it the address that the router DHCP gave it. This works but only until the router decides to assign the WLIP connector a new IP address, then of course I lose my connection.

How do I assign a static IP address to WLIP?

Thanks in advance for suffering my ignorance.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Static IP Setup for VP2

Post by mcrossley »

I know nothing about WL, but most routers can be configured to always give the same DCHP IP address to same device each time - it's called a DCHP reservation. You add the reservation by MAC address, the router GUI may just have a tickbox against your device with wording to this effect.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

I know very little about the Weatherlink IP, but I had assumed it had a browser interface for configuration purposes, like most devices that have TCP/IP connectivity (like routers). So you would let it get its dynamic address, then point your browser at that address to configure it. But I'm only guessing, and I'm probably wrong as this would surely be in the instruction manual if it were correct. Worth trying anyway.
Steve
bretanhaii

Post by bretanhaii »

I got if finally!

I had tried earlier using the DHCP assigned IP address in a browser to reach the config page for the WLIP connector without success. I have just figured out that if Cumulus is running, the browser config page for WLIP cannot be reached. You must first close Cumulus and then try the DHCP assigned IP address in a browser and you will reach the following page
WeatherLinkIP Browser Config.jpg
where you can change the default dynamic address to a static address. This is not detailed anywhere in the documentation for Weatherlink IP.

Thanks for your help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Yes, Weatherlink IP has a rather odd design in that it can only handle one TCP/IP connection at a time. But it wouldn't actually be sensible to try to change the IP address while Cumulus was running, so perhaps we can let them off in this particular case. You may find you have problems if you want to use weatherlink.com at the same time as Cumulus, though, as the same restriction applies.
Steve
bretanhaii

Post by bretanhaii »

You're right, weatherlink.com does not update if Cumulus is running. AWEKAS, weatherunderground.com and PWS are happy to co-exist with Cumulus though. This is not much of a problem though since weatherlink.com is not particularly "feature rich". It's strength is that there is nothing else remotely as easy to setup.

Keep up the great work Steve.
hschird
Weather Station: Vantage Pro
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by hschird »

Hello
I have been using Cumulus to update my PWS on Weather Underground for 3 or 4 years without a problem. Have had some issues recently where my computer looses conductivity so the PWS does not get updated. I thought if I let weatherlink update my PWS then whether the computer looses conductivity is not important. I have noticed that if I all Davis to update their site and PWS at Weather Underground all goes well until I start Cumulus then the updates stop. Are there setting that will allow weatherlink to update and Cumulas to keep the date locally with out interfering with each other? Davis tell me they should work together
Thanks in advance
Harry
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Davis may say that, but they provide no documentation whatsoever to developers to tell them what they have to do to get it to work - and it most definitely doesn't work automatically, because of the issue described above (only one connection allowed at a time). It turns out that software needs to disconnect once a minute to allow the WLIP to upload to weatherlink.com.

There is setting "discon period" in the Davis TCP/IP settings box on the station settings screen, which should allow it to work. This is what the Cumulus help says about that setting:

Discon period
Causes Cumulus to disconnect for the specified number of seconds, once a minute, on the minute (or as close as possible) to allow the Weatherlink IP to connect to the Davis Weatherlink site. Keep this figure as low as possible to minimise the amount of time which Cumulus spends disconnected from the station. Set it to zero to disable, if you are not using the Weatherlink site.
Steve
Tidalwave123
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Windows XP

Cumulus still not working...

Post by Tidalwave123 »

I tried EVERY suggestion given in the above threads without success.
I am presently looking at my Weatherlink account. The logger MAC ID is correct. The Device Key is correct. The public ID is given.
I am using a Linksys EA6350 router and have several router interface programs, including a wireless router program for my iPad. They all state the identical information: Name: Davis Data Logger, same MAC address, same IP address.
Using the IP address in Cumulus gives a "-32701 error". Using the MAC address in place of the IP gives the same error statement. Using the WeatherLink program/setup/com port TCP/IP, TCP port "22222", Local Device ID (same MAC address)/find gives "Device with ID 'mac address' found!" "The IP Addr for device is 'the same IP address that consistently
is given by any device that can find the logger...but doesn't work when entered into Cumulus IP address box"!!!!!

Going back into Weatherlink.com/my account/my weather...it appears that there was a data logger upload to Weatherlink on 19 July and a "my weather" report on 20 July at 8:24 AM. I have absolutely no idea how the logger was able to do an internet download, when it appears that the logger cannot connect with the internet. I am totally mystified how this occurred!

Any further suggestions?
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

It may be obvious, but have you tried power cycling the logger?
hschird
Weather Station: Vantage Pro
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by hschird »

Hello
Thanks for the solution it fixed the problem now Cumulus and Weatherlink work together
Thanks again
Harry
snehalpatil2391
Weather Station: cloudy
Operating System: windows 7

Post by snehalpatil2391 »

I don't have one but IIRC if you open its current IP address in a browser you'll get a setup page that allows you to set the IP. What IP you choose will depend on your network setup and what the router allows. Ask again if you need help with that part.