Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus 1 After 2020?

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
krmidas
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Windows 10

Cumulus 1 After 2020?

Post by krmidas »

Forgive me if this question has been asked (search function seems to be down today):

Will Cumulus 1 be usable after 2020? I notice that the pull-down menus for the NOAA Annual Report only goes out as far as 2020.

This made me wonder about built-in obsolescence. I have no desire to upgrade to MX, as Cumulus 1 has been working like a champ for me since 2006.

-Tom
Tom Keramidas, Lake Zurich, IL, USA
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Cumulus 1 After 2020?

Post by RayProudfoot »

It sounds like your PHP code is different to mine. Overnight I have a new row with all the months for 2019 visible (although greyed out for now).

The limitation is probably in the PHP code, not the Cumulus executable. I wouldn't worry although it'ss possible your PHP code may require tweaking. Others here more knowledgable than me will know better.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

dazza1223
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
Operating System: Raspberry pi 4 (4gb)

Post by dazza1223 »

Capture.PNG
i think he means this after 2020 there no more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Have fun and keep learning

dazza :D

https://www.davisworthing.co.uk

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Ah so that’s in Cumulus itself. Right. I never view the data through Cumulus preferring to use my website.

I suppose it needs Steve to confirm one way or another. But the fallback is viewing it via the user’s website and presumably he has one.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Or just opening the file you want in the /Reports folder using notepad or whatever.

I don't think Cumulus 1 is going to be updated to extend the drop-down within the program, especially as it's not a fatal problem because you have other ways of viewing the reports.
krmidas

Post by krmidas »

To clarify, see the screen grab, where the drop down doesn't allow a selection later than 2020. I just wanted to make sure that Cumulus 1 wouldn't stop functioning on Jan 1, 2021.

Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Have all years up to 2020 been visible for several years? Maybe the list is only updated on a change of year?

Cumulus certainly won’t stop working after 2020. As Mark has said, just view the generated text file using Notepad.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Cumulus 1 should continue to work, it's just that facility which will be limited (and any other facilities which have a similar poorly designed interface!). It does mean that as well as not being able to view reports from 2021 onwards, you won't be able to create them manually either, only automatically.

Creating a new version of Cumulus 1 is not feasible, I no longer have the tools to do it, and I can't release the source code due to a licence agreement. Even if I could release the source code, it would cost several thousand dollars to buy the tools and components required to build a new version. This was one of the reasons I stopped developing Cumulus 1, and created Cumulus MX which can be built with free tools and components.
Steve
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Hi Steve,

Happy stress-free 2019! :D Can I assume the tools within Cumulus 1 to correct any strange records will still work? THat reads either the dayfile.txt or other logs. Other than that I can't think of anything that would cause me a problem. 8-)
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Yes, I think so. It’s just anything with a drop-down that’s been programmed with a fixed list of years that would be affected. I’m not sure what others there might be.
Steve
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Thanks Steve. Fingers crossed.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

krmidas

Post by krmidas »

Are you guys saying that the NOAA reports will still be generated, but just not displayed via Cumulus/View/NOAA Annual Report?

Specifically, I'd be interested in whether the webtag <#LatestNOAAYearlyReport> would still be generated after 2020.

Sorry if I'm being a little slow on this!
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

krmidas wrote: Wed 02 Jan 2019 1:16 am Are you guys saying that the NOAA reports will still be generated, but just not displayed via Cumulus/View/NOAA Annual Report?
Correct.
krmidas wrote: Wed 02 Jan 2019 1:16 amSpecifically, I'd be interested in whether the webtag <#LatestNOAAYearlyReport> would still be generated after 2020
No reason it shouldn't. The problem is just that dates are hard coded into the GUI forms.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

See this thread for a patched version of Cumulus 1 that accepts dates beyond 2020.
ramsded
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: W10

Post by ramsded »

Mark

Like others I have been concerned about the end of life of Cumulus 1 after 2020, but have recently found this thread and and installed your tweak to enable NOAA reports up to 2030, this works great, thanks.

Is it possible to make a similar change that will enable the view 'This Year' and 'This Month' options after 2020, although I assume the 'This Period' will continue to work as a calandar is used to select the required period ?

Dave