Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Suggested web site hosting offerings

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
rogerthn
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000/GW1003
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS bullseye aarch64

Re: Suggested web site hosting offerings

Post by rogerthn »

Toxic17 wrote:
rogerthn wrote:Does https://www.htbridge.com/websec apply also for nginx/php?
yes, its against any webserver based software.
Thanks again!

PS
Once I did register I did get A+ :bash:
akasonny
Weather Station: Zephyr TD-1000
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by akasonny »

Yes, I too have enjoyed Steve's hosting. This entire thing is just a sad state of affairs. I did try self-hosting (Apache, etc.) on my NAS but tho I could FTP it, never could figure out this whole DNS/Nameserver process. Synology was of little help. It would have been handy to do.

Now I too am searching for a replacement. I'm not about to pay big money for a simple host service. Even A2 is ridiculous considering how little they have to do to host a Cumulus site. And I don't have a huge following so its pretty silly.

I'll be interested in anyone's suggestions on this topic.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Before I decided it was a good idea to buy a dedicated server, I hosted the forum, the Cumulus user web sites and various other things on Dreamhost shared hosting (for multiple domains). They weren’t perfect, they had their problems, but I always felt that when there was a problem they were doing their best to sort it out. They apparently do hosting for a single domain for $2.59 per month, which is slightly less than I am charging. They have a 97 day money back guarantee.

They have a slightly odd sense of humour.
Steve
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Post by Mapantz »

akasonny wrote:Even A2 is ridiculous considering how little they have to do to host a Cumulus site. And I don't have a huge following so its pretty silly.
Well, that depends on what you want. I pay £7 a month for unlimited bandwidth, unlimited storage, free SSL. I don't think that's ridiculous at all! I store quite a lot of stuff on it rather than using cloud services. I also use a few PHP apps that can be installed using softaculous - all in all, pretty darn cheap if you ask me, and i'm getting through 100GB of bandwidth a month.

The other thing to mention is that A2's offerings at that price point, give more resources that a lot of other competitors, such as i/O Usage, IOPS, entry processes etc..
dc1500
Weather Station: Watson W-8681 (Fine Offset type)
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by dc1500 »

Well, we're going to have to bite the bullet now Steve has made his decision to shut down. Is the basic A2 offering sufficient, and when it says "used to cost" does it mean it's an introductory price that will go up after a year. I don't want to be changing people's servers on a yearly basis!
Dave
rogerthn
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000/GW1003
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS bullseye aarch64

Post by rogerthn »

For those that are like me, my job is my hobby or is the other way :lol:
I run my own web server using Debian GNU/Linux 9, nginx/1.10.3 and PHP 7.0.30 on an ASUS Tinker Board.
DNS from loopia.se á 238,00 SEK per year.
archae86
Weather Station: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 7

another

Post by archae86 »

Over in the Site going down thread, Ray Proudfoot has posted his favorable experience in moving his site recently to HostPresto.
My cumulus generated weather site is at http://pastoll.info/weather