Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Later version of mono for Raspberry Pi 2

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

Frank G
Weather Station: WH1080 SE
Operating System: 5.4.79.7, Raspbian GNU/Linux

Re: Later version of mono for Raspberry Pi 2

Post by Frank G »

Steve/"Toxic17" thanks for your respons.
Perhaps I try Marks solution with PHP. See https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 74#p127910.

Regards Frank
Weather at Buchenau/Germany: https://wetter.buchenau-net.de
FrontBottom
Weather Station: WH3081
Operating System: Win7

Post by FrontBottom »

Kudos to Steen9542. Followed his (or her?!) instructions on my RPi3 and have it up and running in about 10 minutes!

Cheers,
Chris
ricardo2001
Weather Station: PCE
Operating System: W7

Post by ricardo2001 »

Hi, Could anyone help me please, Im Having problems following "Steen9542" post, where it says: add below line:
deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian wheezy/snapshots/4.0.5 main")
Please could any one explain to me how to insert this line? I have no idea how to do that.
Following the post, just before this step I run "sudo vi mono-xamarin.list" and It comes up a new shell and I do not know how to insert the line.
Sorry but I really have not idea about linux at all.
Thank you in advance
sm0ifp
Weather Station: wh1082
Operating System: Debian

Post by sm0ifp »

WinnebagoNut
Weather Station: W-8681
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by WinnebagoNut »

Hi, Could anyone help me please, Im Having problems following "Steen9542" post, where it says: add below line:
deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian wheezy/snapshots/4.0.5 main")
Please could any one explain to me how to insert this line? I have no idea how to do that.
Following the post, just before this step I run "sudo vi mono-xamarin.list" and It comes up a new shell and I do not know how to insert the line.
Sorry but I really have not idea about linux at all.
Thank you in advance
Just type or copy and paste into terminal

Code: Select all

sudo echo "deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian wheezy/snapshots/4.0.5 main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-xamarin.list
ExperiMentor
Weather Station: Fine Offset & Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10; Raspbian Buster

Working version of mono

Post by ExperiMentor »

The main problem seems to be that requests to download mono default to the latest version, and the old versions we need are no longer on the mono website.

Fortunately, there are working versions stored elsewhere.

This works for me installing it on a Raspberry Pi 3 B+. Then can transfer the SD card to the Raspberry Pi Zero W which is attached to my Weather station. (Pi Zero W is perfectly powerful enough to be capable of running Cumulus, but installation can take ages due to slower processor etc, so I prefer to set up on a faster RPi). As it runs on RPi3 and PiZero, I guess it will be OK with RPi1 and RPi2 also.

The following gives mono v3.10 and works for me. Also has an advantage of not needing the very long delay after sudo apt-get install ...

First, remove old versions of mono if needed (it's complicated - see the following post)

then
cd /var/cache/apt/archives
sudo wget https://sourceforge.net/projects/mono31 ... b/download
This saves mono in current directory with filename download, so need to change the filename
sudo mv download mono_3.10-armhf.deb

sudo dpkg -i mono_3.10-armhf.deb

and that's it!
To check mono version, can use
mono -V
but for an unknown reason that doesn't work until after reboot. Don't worry - mono IS installed
Last edited by ExperiMentor on Sun 06 May 2018 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
ExperiMentor

Removing previous installs of mono

Post by ExperiMentor »

This is laborious and may contain too many unneeded sudo apt autoremove, but it works like this so I left them in!

sudo apt-get remove mono-complete
sudo apt-get purge mono-complete
sudo apt autoremove

Other instruction: seems useful if failed install (I had a time with mono –V reporting v4.6.2.7 but the above said nothing to remove)
Purge all the base libraries and everything dependent will be removed
sudo apt-get purge libmono* cli-common mono-runtime
sudo apt-get autoremove

This reported unable to remove some non-empty directories, so manually:
sudo rm -rf /etc/mono/certstore
sudo rm -rf /usr/lib/mono

Despite the above, /var/cache/apt/archives still has loads of files libmono*.deb and mono*.deb so I manually deleted them
sudo rm /var/cache/apt/archives/libmono*.deb
sudo rm /var/cache/apt/archives/mono*.deb

sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt autoremove
Then remove links to the sources which may point to recent versions:
cd /etc/apt/sources.list.d
sudo rm mono-official-stable.list
sudo rm mono-xamarin.list and/or any other ‘mono’ lists
vr34
Weather Station: Bresser WLAN 7-in-1 (7003300)
Operating System: Raspberry OS Bullseye, CumulusMX

Post by vr34 »

Many thanks Steen9542 for your message on page 3 of the present topic "Later version of mono for Raspberry Pi 2" with the fully detailed procedure to install mono 4.0.5.1 to run my fine offset WS (Aercus WS3083) !!! ;)
The solution works also with Pi 3 with french configuration.

History : previously my WS3083 was working wth CumulusMX under Jessy with mono 3.2.8
Alerted by the writting limitation of the microSD card, I decided to install a small usb SSD. But I found that my NOOBS installation was difficult to transfer to the SDD. I decided to install a full clean version of Stretch without NOOBS and I recovered my previous CumulusMX folder with the saved data and personnal configuration from my old microSD card.

sudo mono CumulusMX.exe -lang fr-FR
works perfectly :)
ExperiMentor

Post by ExperiMentor »

[quote=I orderted a RPi3 (perhaps my problems depents on my RPi1).
Frank[/quote]

Just to say that Cumulus MX will run perfectly on any version of Raspberry Pi. A Pi Zero W is perhaps the best choice because of small size, low power use and has all the connections you need (1x USB if needed for the weather station and built in WiFi).

Installation (especially of Mono) can take ages on a Pi Zero - but you can build the SD card on a Pi3, then swap it into a Pi Zero W for 'production'.
NOTE: unfortunately, this is no longer true. Swapping a pre-built SD card to a different RPi version can fail or cause problems. Thankfully it is also no longer a problem as the latest versions of CumulusMX no longer have the issue of not working properly with mono for FineOffset and some other stations. See the post on setting up CumulusMX for RPi for latest working instructions which work promptly enough even on a Pi Zero W. (viewtopic.php?f=27&t=16931)
Last edited by ExperiMentor on Mon 01 Jun 2020 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jank
Weather Station: FineOffset WS3080
Operating System: Debian Buster - Raspbian - Raspb

Post by jank »

Hello
I just received my RaspberryPi Zero W (Wlan) and installed the latest Raspbian Buster and CumulusMX and I can confirm that
Raspbian GNU/Linux" - DEBIAN - 10 (BUSTER) - 4.19.97+
with the most current Mono Version
Mono JIT compiler version 5.18.0.240 (Debian 5.18.0.240+dfsg-3 Sat Apr 20 05:16:08 UTC 2019)
running with a Fineoffset WS3080 getting the power directly from the buildin USB Port powered with a 1A PowerPlug is running without any problems.
Jan

Edit: Mono Version: Mono JIT compiler version 6.8.0.105 (tarball Tue Feb 4 21:51:48 UTC 2020)
Do want a Managing Dashboard for CumulusMX on RaspberryPi? cumulusmx.sh
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=17907