Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WH3081 has stopped receiving readings, but UV & solar still work

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
cjsimmons
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH3081
Operating System: RPi 3 Zero W Jessie Lite

WH3081 has stopped receiving readings, but UV & solar still work

Post by cjsimmons »

My WH3081 has been working fine for the last few years. Every now and then I get the USB lockup and have to reset the console, but the last few weeks I've noticed that no data is being received from outside for the wind, rain, temp and humidity. The strange thing is that UV and solar are working fine. Has anyone else ever noticed something like this happen?

Simply pressing the down button on the console picks up the data, but then after a while (anywhere from a few minutes, too many hours), it goes again. I've reset the outside unit, cleaned cobwebs off it etc, and it's still happening.

Only thing I can think of is to replace the batteries, but it's just odd that UV and solar are working and nothing else. Any ideas?
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: WH3081 has stopped receiving readings, but UV & solar still work

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

The "Solar Pod" has its own microcontroller which generates a separate data packet which is passed on to the radio transmitter in the main "external unit". So it's quite possible for only one of the two controllers to "crash" (or the critical message-timing to become unreliable), perhaps due to a low battery voltage.

So the first "test" to try is nearly always to replace the batteries; normal "non-rechargeable" Alkaline AAs are fine, the so-called "rechargeable alkalines" are virtually identical.

Cheers, Alan.
cjsimmons

Post by cjsimmons »

Interesting about the 2 separate controllers. That would explain why some data is coming through.

I swapped the batteries with some normal Energizer AA's and the problem is still there, so it's not a battery issue.

Maybe it's time to look for a new weather station, or maybe just the transmitter if they are available.
AllyCat

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

Replacement "external transmitters" are certainly "available" but sometimes at a price that is too high to be worthwhile.

Also, there are numerous versions which all look very similar: Firstly, the carrier frequency may be 434 MHz, 868 MHz (mainly Europe) or 915 MHz (USA) but this should at least be marked on the label. Then there are potentially at least 4 derivatives: the most common is probably the classic "1081", then the "1080" which adds a Radio Controlled Clock (not relevant in Australasia), some which don't support a Weather Vane and finally the "Solar" 308x again potentially with or without the RCC). However, the Solar versions can be identified because the "Rain" socket should have 6 wires or contacts (RJ12) whilst the others have only 2 or 4 wires (RJ11).

If you have some electronics ability and only a "1081" type can be obtained, the two-processor architecture does make it possible to fit a cheap transmitter module and battery inside the Solar Pod. This also means the two transmitters can be more optimally located (Pod in direct sunlight, T/H in a shady position) without needing an extension cable (but of course the T/H transmitter batteries are no longer solar-charged).

Cheers, Alan.
cjsimmons

Post by cjsimmons »

Ah yes, I didn't think to look for spare parts. Seems to be plenty around, except when looking for the transmitter.

I went and had a look at mine. Inside there is a green sticker with "PASS 18B" on it, which is inline with some of the listings on eBay with model numbers. There is a seller in AU that seems to have one listed for the WH3081 part number 18B which matches mine for AU$34. No idea if that is expensive or not, but it's better then buying a whole new unit, which the wife said will have to wait as we have a lot of bills coming up in the next month or so.

So now I'm tossing up, get a new transmitter, or get a new weather station. Currently looking at the WH2950. I'd love a Davis unit, but they are just too much for me anytime in the foreseeable future. :(
AllyCat

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

AU$34 is probably broadly consistent with the price from a retail seller, i.e. one offering full support and some guarantee that it will meet your requirements. The rather simpler WH1081 transmitter is sold by our "Maplin" retailer for £15, shipped and with a free-return policy (but other UK sellers are more expensive). Personally, I wouldn't trust a "Pass" or "OK" sticker and would want to see a "model number" label and/or buy it on a "sale or return" basis.

Also, beware that I don't believe the WH2950 is compatible with Cumulus, or even has any PC interface capability. As you've posted in the "Homebuilt" section and your wind/rain sensors are still functional (?), perhaps you should at least take a look at the Weatherduino Project, which is quite popular in Australia.

Cheers, Alan.
cjsimmons

Post by cjsimmons »

AllyCat wrote:Also, beware that I don't believe the WH2950 is compatible with Cumulus, or even has any PC interface capability.
Good point. I didn't even think of that, but to be honest, Cumulus seems to be a bit of a dead project for now, so I'm not too worried.
AllyCat wrote:perhaps you should at least take a look at the Weatherduino Project,
I have in the past, but it's a bit above my expertise. I'm not very good with a soldering iron, so would probably end up destroying something and wasting money. I might have another look and see where the project is up to.