Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus ! Freezing - revisited

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
geoffw
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Cumulus ! Freezing - revisited

Post by geoffw »

I posted this question about a year ago, after finding Cumulus freezing intermittently sometimes two or three times a day. Various suggestions emerged, settings for USB ports, interference from wireless devices / even the webcam came under suspicion. In the end, I have suffered in silence and accepted having to occasionally restart it. None of the downloaded data suffers from these events.

However recently the restarts have become unmanageable and now almost every time I glance at Cumulus it has stopped.

I'm using Cumulus 1.9.6 (and have been using it since June 2009) Build 1099 with an Oregon WMR200 on a computer running Windows 10, and am suffering an increasingly frustrating random problem of Cumulus 'freezing' for no apparent reason. I have to close it with Task Manager and restart. I have tried re-installing Cumulus but that doesn't seem to help. I have used three separate machines to no avail.

Attached the Diag files that don't tell me much but someone might be able to point me to a solution or the steps to take to find one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Geoff
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Cumulus ! Freezing - revisited

Post by steve »

I can’t view the diags files on my iPad but they’re unlikely to be of any use anyway. As it’s actually freezing, requiring task manager to kill it, then you almost certainly have a hardware or driver issue (despite the fact that you have tried three different computers), and not even the debug log is going to help with diagnosis. Lacking any other useful suggestions, though, it would be worth turning on debug logging in the hope that the debug log might show something.
Steve
geoffw

Post by geoffw »

Just switched on Debugging Steve.
Geoff
geoffw

Post by geoffw »

I wonder if anyone can make sense of this Debug.zipfile?

I this is a hardware issue, I've swapped PCs, I've re-installed a new copy of Cumulus a few times. I've tried a different USB cable to the WMRR200 Station, I've reverted to Windows 7 operating system (where it used to work fine on)......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Geoff
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I should have asked you to delete the existing file first. I’ve just spent 10 minutes paging through it on my iPad and I’m still looking at old stuff - I only want to look towards the end of the file. I’ll have a look later on my laptop.
Steve
geoffw

Post by geoffw »

Sorry Steve!
Geoff
geoffw

Post by geoffw »

Here you are Steve. The Debug file from the last start till it froze again. Looking at it is doesn't seem very helpful.
Geoff
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Yes, there’s nothing untoward in there, it was all behaving normally right up to the end of the file.
Steve
geoffw

Post by geoffw »

.................. and, of course, the file ends when Cumulus 'freezes'!

I must admit it has been worse since I change to the Oregan weather station, and we seem to have eliminated the PC end (apart from settings maybe), so I suppose the next things to look at has to be the USB connection. I'll see if I can dig out an alternative cable. What do you mean about drivers Steve? What should I look at to try updating?
Geoff
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I’m not saying that a driver update is necessarily required (or available), just that requiring task manager normally means that it is stuck in system code somewhere.
Steve