Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Wind Run?

Discussion specific to Oregon Scientific weather stations
Ro3bert
Weather Station: Oregon Scientific WMR200
Operating System: Windows 10 V 10.1.16299

Wind Run?

Post by Ro3bert »

What the heck is wind run? I checked Wikipedia, Cumulus Wiki, Cumulus Help files and find nothing that defines Wind Run (except Wikipedia which wasn't much help).

Can/will someone explain what it means in simple English using (mostly) words of one syllable :groan: ?
Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better. :clap:
Ubbe
Weather Station: Oregon WMR 200
Operating System: Windows 10 64 bit

Re: Wind Run?

Post by Ubbe »

well like how "long" have the wind gone...... in Km or Miles.

How its done,,,i have no clue :roll:
Matt.j5b
Weather Station: Davis VP2/ WLL with DFARS
Operating System: RPi Raspbian (Buster)

Post by Matt.j5b »

Regards, Matt of Brisbane, Australia
Ferny Grove Weather
Ro3bert

Re: Wind Run? Solved (I guess)

Post by Ro3bert »

Thanks Matt, didn't see your post until I found the following.

Finally found it by Googling "what is wind run" and came up with this from Cumulus Wiki (not from the wiki at the top of the Cumulus page):
Windrun
A measurement of how much wind has passed a given point in a period of time. A wind blowing at three miles per hour for an entire hour would give a wind run of three miles.

Cumulus calculates wind run by noting the average wind speed every minute, and adding in a minute's worth of 'distance' corresponding to that speed. So the wind run for a particular period is effectively an indication of the average wind speed over that period. A wind run of 240 miles over the course of a day, for example, means that the average (of up to 1,440 measurements of) wind speed over the day was 10 mph.
So easy to understand [though some words were more than one syllable that I asked for] but I have no idea what to do with it except look at it. I'm not a meteorologist nor an actuary much less a physicist so it's less that something I am interested in. In other words if that data was not included with Cumulus I'd be none the wiser for what to me is trivia.

OH, well I'm having a snowy, windy day with temp, so far, in the high teens and falling slowly.

Cheers to all, Robert
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

Robert,
Ro3bert wrote:I have no idea what to do with it except look at it
If you ever look up total rainfall to see which month or year was the wettest, then wind run is the equivalent total to see which month or year was the most windy.
Looking at the strongest gust in a month or year, only conveys information about a single moment, just like highest rain rate.
Ro3bert wrote:came up with this from Cumulus Wiki (not from the wiki at the top of the Cumulus page)
There is only one Cumulus Wiki, and it is linked from the top of each support forum page (although one page of the Wiki is the FAQ that has a separate link at the top of each forum page), so I don't understand this comment.
Ro3bert

Post by Ro3bert »

sfws wrote:Robert,
Ro3bert wrote:I have no idea what to do with it except look at it
If you ever look up total rainfall to see which month or year was the wettest, then wind run is the equivalent total to see which month or year was the most windy.
Looking at the strongest gust in a month or year, only conveys information about a single moment, just like highest rain rate.
Ro3bert wrote:came up with this from Cumulus Wiki (not from the wiki at the top of the Cumulus page)
There is only one Cumulus Wiki, and it is linked from the top of each support forum page (although one page of the Wiki is the FAQ that has a separate link at the top of each forum page), so I don't understand this comment.
When I first looked at the Cumulus Wiki there were so many entries I couldn't find one that related to my question. I really didn't want to look at each one and couldn't find briefly that mentioned Wind Run.

Whenever I have spare time I'll go through the whole thing. On second thought I may have looked at the FAQ rather than the Wiki, oh, well the question has been resolved.

Since I've only had Cumulus up and running for less than a week I still have much to learn so maybe someday Wind Run will make some sense.

Any way sfws thanks for the response, Robert