Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WH2600 Observer - Feature Request ?

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

Mark007
Weather Station: IP Observer.
Operating System: Linux

WH2600 Observer - Feature Request ?

Post by Mark007 »

Hello,
Just to give Steve and everyone another scenario of how/where this fab software is used,
I've been using MX on Mono for an extended period on an Ubuntu VM, before that, it was on a Windows VM (proxmox being the hypervisor.)
I connected to the the weather console for the serial data via a comtrol device master. Excellent box, but don't turn it off, the PSU will die!

I've got a wired WS2310, but after 7 years, it's showing signs of expiring (the anemometer) and because of the lengths of cable involved, it was very susceptible to RF from my QRP HF station (<10W) so I've been browsing around for a while as I've always wanted to rid of the console and just have a web front end (eventual plan.. Pi Zero W/display heating/power/weather..)

I eventually landed on a weather sleuth, which is a badged FOE WH2600 Observer, 'cept mine is the Aercus version.
It didn't seem to want to talk with Wx underground when I set static IP, so reset it and let it do dynamic and off it went, so left it to it....
The WH-2600 is essentially an instrument set that sends data via RF to a "hub", which then pushes it upto WxUndeground.

I've looked around at other suites of software, cumulus is still way above (python dose my head in....)

I know this WxStation has been talked about before and not supported, but could I be cheeky and pop in a feature request for MX.

The "hub" can be told where to redirect the string of info (can supply a sample if you need. standard WxUnderground get from memory )
Lots of useful info here, https://obrienlabs.net/redirecting-weat ... bserverip/ including a socket sever.
proof of concept has been tested and saw the string via tcpdump on a linux VM)

i.e. it could be pointed at a listening socket on Cumulus which will do the rest, so I still have all the other bits and bobs which look at Cumulus working. Obviously I don't know what you do under the bonnet to get various stations into an array for the main data engine..
but it would be nice if you could add the WH2600 to the list of supported stations to sit alongside the IP based Davis devices. ;)

BR/73 from the Sussex Coast

Mark G6...

IEASTSUS31
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: WH2600 Observer - Feature Request ?

Post by steve »

Sorry, that’s unlikely to happen any time soon, due to reasons posted elsewhere (e.g. in Announcements). Too many enhancements already to do and far too little time available to do them! Cumulus took up almost all of my free time for thirteen years, and now it’s very much taking a back seat.
Steve
Mark007
Weather Station: IP Observer.
Operating System: Linux

Re: WH2600 Observer - Feature Request ?

Post by Mark007 »

aha, now i've rtfm, all understood and Enjoy !!!