Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Alphanumeric Password Format

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
mhpaulson
Weather Station: Ambient WS-1080
Operating System: Windows 10

Alphanumeric Password Format

Post by mhpaulson »

For the past month or so, my weather station has mysteriously not been reporting to Weather Underground. Off and on during that period, I've been trying to troubleshoot the issue and finally discovered and corrected the problem this AM. I didn't connect the two but now, after the fact, I see what happened. Back in September I changed my WU password and then went into my Cumulus Configuration and entered the new password there. For security reasons, my new password contained a plus symbol (+) and an equals symbol (=). After looking at the debug file this morning and noticing that Cumulus was reporting an incorrect password and/or ID, I went back into WU and changed the PW again, this time with all alphanumeric characters, removing the + and the = symbols. Sure enough, after changing the PW in Cumulus to the new alphanumeric one, my station started reporting to WU immediately. Apparently, Cumulus doesn't support non-alphanumeric characters in its Passwords. Just a word to the wise, I guess.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Alphanumeric Password Format

Post by steve »

Yes, I've seen this before, but it's not mentioned in the FAQ unfortunately. It's something to do with the way the WU update URL is encoded.
Steve
mhpaulson
Weather Station: Ambient WS-1080
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by mhpaulson »

Thanks for the reply, Steve.
So, it's not a Cumulus-specific issue, something on WU's end. Interesting. It would be nice if the password format info could be documented somehow so that others don't run into the same problem. Oh, well.
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

If you look up the official URL specification both '+' and '=' each have a specific defined meaning as separators and are therefore not a permitted character elsewhere like in your password. Consequently, the problem is simply in the protocol for transport between Cumulus and WU, not either end's fault. Help fora on the internet reveal that others have met up with this issue, so you are not the first to say it should be documented somewhere - it is in the specification for a URL. FWIW this dates from the Berners-Lee original ideas.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

I wasn’t clear - I’m not saying that the problem definitely isn’t with Cumulus, it could well be that Cumulus should be encoding the password such that the reserved characters work OK. I can’t remember exactly what the code does.
Steve
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

From what I can see MX doesn't do a HttpUtility.UrlEncode() of the url string that is generated, so probably the same for C1?